DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini newbie

Golden Ghost

Reactions
1. The home point locks on but it won't do a return to home. Says it will land in current location. Any input?
2. Do u use the turn gimble and left or right gimble to turn? My remote airplane turns using just a turn mode. It seems the turn mode does not bank enough to make any type of tight radius.
3. Quick shots seems to lock on only if you are really close, maybe 50' or so. Any height and the green dot won't show up.
Is there a way to draw a box?
Thanks. Love it

With regards to
1) at what distance from the the home point does this occur, the is a distance/action threshold? Have you read the manual? In particular pages 12 & 13. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_en_1.pdf

2) As far as I am aware the pilot can not turn the gimbal using the normal controls, the gimbal is more or less intended to point only straight ahead, to 'yaw the gimbal' the pilot turns the aircraft. Relative to the drone there is some slight gimbal yaw available to smooth the start and perhaps end of drone yawing but it is only a slight movement and from memory automated. There is probably some gimbal yaw adjustment (can't remember) available as a correction for an error in the gimbal's alignment but if so it isn't intended to swing the gimbal all over the place as a normal usage thing.

I have read pages 12-13. My GPS signal was good. It happens at any distance. When I hit the icon on the screen it does not give me a rth option.
I should have said control stick, not gimbel! So my question is do u turn just banking or do u have to pivot at the same time?

I have read pages 12-13. My GPS signal was good. It happens at any distance. When I hit the icon on the screen it does not give me a rth option.
I should have said control stick, not gimbel! So my question is do u turn just banking or do u have to pivot at the same time?
It depends on now smooth you want your turns to be! I'm also a regular fixed-wing pilot.

Usually, I just change direction by rotating the drone using the left control stick. One thing that might be helpful is to go into the camera control and set it to "FPV" rather than the default stabilized setting. Then you can get a better view of what the aircraft is actually doing.

There a number of options you can set for what the RTH command does, again in settings, under Safety IIRC. One of those is to tell it to land where it is. Check that setting, and if you want it to return home with, say lost signal, then set it to that.

Good luck!

1. The home point locks on but it won't do a return to home. Says it will land in current location. Any input?

If it is within a 20m (65ft) radius of the recorded Home Position, it will just land. If it is further away than that when you push the icon on the screen, it should present two options. Either Return to Home, or Landing. Press and hold the RTH choice and the drone should climb to your configured RTH height, turn and fly a straight line for Home, then descend to land at the Home Position.

I should have said control stick, not gimbal! So my question is do u turn just banking or do u have to pivot at the same time?
Coming from flying model airplanes, I at first had a hard time adapting to controlling the drone because it doesn't react at all like an airplane.

The pitch control in an airplane will either push it nose down into a dive, or pull it up into a climb. The drone will only move straight forward or backward while maintaining the same altitude.

Aileron control makes an airplane roll left or right, but the drone just slides laterally sideways to the left or right.

Rudder makes an airplane yaw left or right, and also makes the drone pivot in yaw. With an airplane, too much rudder will make the plane sideslip or skid. WIth the drone, too much yaw input will make the drone skid around and "spin out".

Throttle makes an airplane speed up to gain altitude or slow down to sink, but makes the drone ascend straight up or descend.

You can choose between Sport, Normal, or Cinematic flight modes. Practice in the slower smoother Cine mode using small stick inputs until you're comfortable with how it reacts. Things happen much faster in Sport mode and it's dangerous to use ham-fisted inputs in that mode.

If it is within a 20m (65ft) radius of the recorded Home Position, it will just land. If it is further away than that when you push the icon on the screen, it should present two options. Either Return to Home, or Landing. Press and hold the RTH choice and the drone should climb to your configured RTH height, turn and fly a straight line for Home, then descend to land at the Home Position.
Thanks. I was flying very close to the homepoint. I'll see what happened the next time out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydiver75thgrp