DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 - "Lost" features?

Precision landing is by default now is it not. You do not need to select it. Some of you guys need to wait a bit before announcing failure or disappointment. Likely that any modes missing like gestures would be down to lack of use. DJI will have data on all mavic 1 and Platinum models

Should have mine soon so will report back
No it is not by default. I've tried it several times and my Mavic lands sometimes several feet away. During an emergency (lost communication, controller died, etc...) this can mean the difference of landing on a dock or in the water.

• No Cinema 4K (4096×2160), only UHD 4K (3840×2160) - probably permanent
  • No LUT for log profile - should be coming soon
Ground Control posted their free DLog-M to Rec.709 LUT yesterday, it works pretty good. Get it HERE

Reactions: cpokrywka
Yeah 3rd party ones are ok (there are 2 out now) but ultimately you need the manufacturer one for the best performance. They have the gamma table and other details needed to make one as opposed to reverse enginner based on "look".

Reactions: cpokrywka
Speculation as to why it was released with so many features missing: Spy vs. Spy.

The hacker community has defeated DJI at every turn, breaking the chains DJI puts in the software. They don't like it.

By limiting important features in the first few releases, they give the hackers a chance to do some QA on the code for them, break it, they can close those exploits, and then in practice everyone will update to the more secure release(s) in the future to get basic functionality, like Course Lock. Or Precision Landing. Etc.

We don't know if this is the case, but it's **** suspicious to me how much really basic, well-developed features were left out, on the flagship product.

Yep... I agree. Ok...so all of these Rockstar pilots do their own manual landings and crud...blah blah blah… That's fine. But the fact of the matter is that this "feature" seems to be something that "could" be supported by the hardware, is present in much of their existing birds, and DOES actually work reasonably well. Why would it be "removed"?
There are limited resources available for coding "embedded hardware", so they may have a programming budget and needed more resources for the more complex 3D processing going on, something had to go. This is my opinion based on 30 years of software development.

I suspect its more a case of management setting a deadline the coders didn't want so its "get it out through the door so it starts making money, we'll finish the code later"

I suspect its more a case of management setting a deadline the coders didn't want so its "get it out through the door so it starts making money, we'll finish the code later"
That's what I'm hoping, and think is most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a really fun firmware update in a month or two.

That's what I'm hoping, and think is most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a really fun firmware update in a month or two.
I hope they consider including ATTI mode. I miss that, provided on all Phantoms.

I’d really like DJI to comment on these features, particularly RTH issues and lack of precision landing. This will stop me from upgrading from MP1. Also disappointed that portrait mode can’t be done, yet I get it if it’s to do with the size of the camera, and there’s workarounds.

Im just trying to make a list of things that were on the Mavic 1 but seem to be missing (so far) on the initial Mavic 2 release.

So far i think its:-

• No portrait mode. This is permanent and cant be fixed due to hardware limitations so workarounds needed
  • No precision Landing - I guess a firmware update to add this as all the sensors and more are there. Although, im not sure if it does it "by default" now or not
  • No D-Cinelike/Colour profiles - I guess a firmware update could add these
  • No 4k/60FPS - a mode used by a few people. Not sure this is fixable as likely a limitation of the image processor chip.
  • No fixed wing mode - Not a big issue for most i don't think

Other things, we really need the engineers to release a LUT. Only they know the gamma profile and other details to actually produce one. No 3rd party has access to those details.

Anything else the old drone has but the new doesn't? To be fair, most of it looks firmware fixable.

Quick corrections to your current list. 4K60FPS needs removed as never had it. Add the loss of control direct from mobile/tablet via WiFi (never used this personally so not something I would miss). Gesture control (again seemed a bit gimmicky as never used it). Lighter weight (as M2 has been raiding the fridge.)

Reactions: ssvdh66
Im just trying to make a list of things that were on the Mavic 1 but seem to be missing (so far) on the initial Mavic 2 release.

• No portrait mode. This is permanent and cant be fixed due to hardware limitations so workarounds needed
  • No precision Landing - I guess a firmware update to add this as all the sensors and more are there. Although, im not sure if it does it "by default" now or not
  • No 4k/60FPS - a mode used by a few people. Not sure this is fixable as likely a limitation of the image processor chip.

Other things, we really need the engineers to release a LUT. Only they know the gamma profile and other details to actually produce one. No 3rd party has access to those details.

Anything else the old drone has but the new doesn't? To be fair, most of it looks firmware fixable.

Quick corrections to your current list. 4K60FPS needs removed as never had it. Add the loss of control direct from mobile/tablet via WiFi (never used this personally so not something I would miss). Gesture control (again seemed a bit gimmicky as never used it). Lighter weight (as M2 has been raiding the fridge.)

OK i've updated the original post.
I'll try to edit and keep that up to date as things are found.
If you find a feature the M1 had that the M2 doesn't post it here and it'll add it.

Try to avoid a wish list of features that the M1 didnt have or just bugs with features for now.

From that list I find Course Lock the biggest “miss” that may change. But the “won’t ever change” item I’ll surely miss most is Portrait Mode. That’s something I’ve been using more and more for photo and filming.

Yeah we can crop and all that but it’s not the same, producing an image is rather complex and I find that composition and framing is better done from the start, especially if I’m filming with a drone and it’s moving around in the air.

So it does make a difference and even more so if you deal with social media and mobile production, as that’s the main format for the most important ones.

Portrait i suspect is one of the few "cant" change due to the gimbal designs.
I took a lot of panoramas so i used it a LOT.

From that list I find Course Lock the biggest “miss” that may change. But the “won’t ever change” item I’ll surely miss most is Portrait Mode. That’s something I’ve been using more and more for photo and filming.

Yeah we can crop and all that but it’s not the same, producing an image is rather complex and I find that composition and framing is better done from the start, especially if I’m filming with a drone and it’s moving around in the air.

So it does make a difference and even more so if you deal with social media and mobile production, as that’s the main format for the most important ones.
Because people are too lazy to turn a phone on its side? Never used portrait mode as could just crop to that format in post. If it's for panorama you can stack images in a grid?

• No Cinema 4k - Maybe firmware fix?
  • Loads of intelligent modes missing:-
    • Any Gesture Mode
    • Course Lock
    • Terrain Following
    • Home Lock
    • Follow Me
  • No direct control from mobile device
  • No customisable battery discharge profile. Its fixed on 10 days and cant be changed

Updated 1/9/2018

Flight data has been removed from SRT logs (Video Caption in camera options), the files are still there, but they only include camera metadata now, not location or height. I will miss that.

I'm reading this thread and this thing doesn't sound done. DJI decided since the hardware was done get it out there and worry about the software later. DJI has great hardware but always seems to be lacking in this software end of things.

Well, in my case I'm glad to get the aircraft even if not all the software features are available as I'm traveling in September and the M2P fits my plans. I do think Precision Landing should have been available from day 1, however.

Because people are too lazy to turn a phone on its side? Never used portrait mode as could just crop to that format in post. If it's for panorama you can stack images in a grid?

Phone on the side?! Thats not a use for portrait mode.

Portrait is a very good way of creating a feeling of depth and height. Handy for narrow canyons, vertical cliffs and so on. Cropping is nowhere near as useful as actually framing it correctly (and obviously loses detail).
As for panoramas, you can still "do it" but it'll now take twice the number of images (previously 1 row now requires 2), twice the time taken and will result in more wasted space with the cropping needed as its going to be nightmare to get the horizon the same on all shots.

Reactions: mnis and tiparoch
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111