DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 - "Lost" features?

The one thing that disappoints me the most is that consumers are discovering these issues rather than DJI proactively informing us in advance. There is no harm at all in communicating that key features (that have previously been released within the Mavic 1 range) are as yet unavailable, but will be (or will not be) available with future firmware updates. This scenario that we find ourselves in creates unnecessary negative publicity for the brand as a whole in my view, but especially for the Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom product group. It almost devalues some elements of the positive PR created by the product release event, not to mention a degradation of trust from a very loyal customer base. In my view, it will be helpful if DJI quickly responds with some public announcement regarding the key software changes from the Mavic 1 range to Mavic 2. No doubt there is plenty to celebrate regarding innovation and improvements with the Mavic 2 range, but there is evidence that key missing software features are causing pilot error and even mission failure, such as the missing default autofocus (unusable footage) and the lack of precision landing assistance for limited & precise locations with challenging weather conditions etc. Surely precision landing is a key safety feature for professional drones. DJI?

I agree completely and what I find even more disturbing is the early reviews on YouTube by the DJI faithfull that do not even mention issues like these. In all good consciousness I would never try to run a channel and then accept free products on the condition that nothing negative can be said about the product! By painful experience I have learned to wait until reviews are released by people who spent their own money on the product. Only then do you hear the negatives and can make a buying decision based on all of the facts.

I have no doubts DJI will fix the problems and addin the missing features but this may be months away:

Rob

I've read here that "Course Lock" is missing. If I am not mistaken, I believe it's under "Tap Fly", and you select "FREE"
One taps in the direction you want to fly (Make sure you view the horizon line for Climb/Descent). As. you fly, you are "Free" to rotate...
similar to the Course lock.
I was out test flying "Tap Fly" just today.

Its not the same. CL mode you can control the speed with the sticks as well as moving it parallel to the track.
Tap Fly is just a straight line fly so less useful.

I agree with you 100%. It would be nice if DJI stepped in or someone in this forum who has some clout expressed your thoughts and all that’s been said since this thread was initiated to DJI so that we can get an official answer directly from them and put our minds at ease!

Anyone out there who has an in with DJI?

Thank you for your support MavicWord, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: MavicWorld
I agree completely and what I find even more disturbing is the early reviews on YouTube by the DJI faithfull that do not even mention issues like these. In all good consciousness I would never try to run a channel and then accept free products on the condition that nothing negative can be said about the product! By painful experience I have learned to wait until reviews are released by people who spent their own money on the product. Only then do you hear the negatives and can make a buying decision based on all of the facts.

I have no doubts DJI will fix the problems and addin the missing features but this may be months away:

Rob

Thank you for your support Rob, I'm optimistic that DJI will clarify the situation for us eventually. But for them to say that a feature may or may not be released just adds fuel to the fire.

Reactions: Robbyg
I would guess its "throw it out there and see what people want" to an extent. Trying to work out the market for a drone with a better camera.

I would guess its "throw it out there and see what people want" to an extent. Trying to work out the market for a drone with a better camera.

I agree there is an element of that, but at this price point, I'd expect autofocus and precision landing to be a key feature or at least make it know that these features will or will not be available for a given timeframe.

My expectation when I purchased the M2 Pro was that these are fundamental features and that they would surely be available at launch. We all appreciate the awesome developments of the Mavic 2, but there are some brilliant legacy features that you'd expect to see carried forward further down the product line, such as precision landing. I can't speak for everyone, but for me assisted or autonomous flight dynamics & features are crucial when considering safety, confidence & certainty when flying a drone, especially in reasonably populated locations. The image quality & stability seriously impresses me, but I'm equally focused on safety features to minimise the risk of failure during missions.

Obviously, basic flight safety and planning are a given, but the precision landing feature is the icing on the cake for me personally. That said, there can be failures at any time with the best planning, we are always alert to this. But let's use the technology to minimise the risks as far as possible.

Right there with you BlueRay...

I don't buy it. Saying that they're trying to "work out the market" would be like a car company saying, "we never offered leather seats in this model before, so we're going to take out ABS until we understand what people want from a luxury vehicle".

Now, maybe I'd buy that the sensors are so different that they didn't have enough time to perfect the firmware to get this working in time for release... Ok, I'd buy that. However, why not just flippin' say that if that's the case? (By the way...this same thing goes for all of the suddenly *POOF* features from the M1). I'm in complete concurrence with the others that think that this is more of a communication issue than anything else. And look, when DJI was a baby company and hadn't "grown up" yet, that was fine and understandable, but after the years that they've had and the profits that they've reaped, to continue to have this type of stuff is just idiotic. They need to take off the company Pampers, get their big boy britches on, and stop all of this foolishness. Just be honest and forthright with your customers and...surprise!...your true customers will love you all the more for it.

I don't buy it. Saying that they're trying to "work out the market" would be like a car company saying, "we never offered leather seats in this model before, so we're going to take out ABS until we understand what people want from a luxury vehicle".

Now, maybe I'd buy that the sensors are so different that they didn't have enough time to perfect the firmware to get this working in time for release... Ok, I'd buy that. However, why not just flippin' say that if that's the case? (By the way...this same thing goes for all of the suddenly *POOF* features from the M1). I'm in complete concurrence with the others that think that this is more of a communication issue than anything else. And look, when DJI was a baby company and hadn't "grown up" yet, that was fine and understandable, but after the years that they've had and the profits that they've reaped, to continue to have this type of stuff is just idiotic. They need to take off the company Pampers, get their big boy britches on, and stop all of this foolishness. Just be honest and forthright with your customers and...surprise!...your true customers will love you all the more for it.

I’m with you all the way. I’ve been saying the same thing over and over, especially the point on why DJI was not up front from the start and advised its users of what is there, what is not there and what they plan to reinstate!

Unfortunately I’m just a little (Canadian) guy who has no clout and would hope that someone on this forum who agrees with all of this would be so kind as to pass this info/thread to DJI so that they are aware of what’s happening.

I'd be really understanding and reasonable if one of the newer flight modes (Active Track 2.0; APAS, Hyperlapse etc) would have technical flaws or issues. But guys, we are talking here about flight modes which were previously tested and proven OK in several other previous DJI drones. Let's take for ex waypoints; that's not like they have to reinvent the wheel for this to work on the Mavic 2!

Reactions: MavicWorld
I'd be really understanding and reasonable if one of the newer flight modes (Active Track 2.0; APAS, Hyperlapse etc) would have technical flaws or issues. But guys, we are talking here about flight modes which were previously tested and proven OK in several other previous DJI drones. Let's take for ex waypoints; that's not like they have to reinvent the wheel for this to work on the Mavic 2!

Of course, but it may not be completely trivial to reprogram and test on a new platform sufficiently for public release.

Looks like they are following Apple's business model - Lets tell our consumers what they need and don't need - don't need headphone jacks in phones, don't need USB ports and card readers in laptops. We'll sell them frickin dongles and make $$$$s!

I can see down the road that DJI can turn on special features for a price if you really of want them. Buy the base drone and then pay to play with features you want.

Looks like they are following Apple's business model - Lets tell our consumers what they need and don't need - don't need headphone jacks in phones, don't need USB ports and card readers in laptops. We'll sell them frickin dongles and make $$$$s!

I can see down the road that DJI can turn on special features for a price if you really of want them. Buy the base drone and then pay to play with features you want.

Do you have any evidence that they will charge to turn on functionality, or were you just taking the opportunity for some wild, baseless speculation plus a dig at Apple?

You will have to buy the Mavic 2 "Gold" to get these features back. It will be released in a few months after the initial Mavic 2 frenzy dies down.

Im guessing none of you remember the basic mavic 1 when it first came out.
It was hardly a finished item. And they release updates, added features and didn't charge.

Im guessing none of you remember the basic mavic 1 when it first came out.
It was hardly a finished item. And they release updates, added features and didn't charge.

I bought the MP1 as soon as pre-orders started. I also "think" that they'll eventually add many of these items and that they'll do so without additional fees or purchases. That being said though...nobody really "knows" this to be the case because they're not saying anything. Also, many of the items being pointed out aren't updates or added features IMHO, it's functionality expected to be there based on the prior model's capabilities and features. Nobody expects technology to retreat quite like that. Also, this isn't like removing a headphone jack or touchID. Each of those clearly had equivalent (within reason) and/or superior replacement tech available at launch. I don't hate DJI or anything (I give them too much of my money if I did), but I do wish they'd be a little more transparent.

Its not the same. CL mode you can control the speed with the sticks as well as moving it parallel to the track.
Tap Fly is just a straight line fly so less useful.

> ... CL mode you can control the speed with the sticks

Hi. I can't remember now without the program running, but isn't the speed in TapFly "Free" mode controlled by a slider on the screen?
I'll check it out the next time I am flying. Thanks.
I remember it working "kind of" like Course lock.

It can be yes but thats far less slick compared to using a stick to continuously adjust speed (and you can go 90 degrees to the preset route with the other sticks with CL mode).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman