DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro high altitude flight tools

dwallersv

Reactions
There is a way to exceed the 500m altitude limit on the Mavic Pro, and I will say no more than that as it is verboten to discuss it on this board.

That said, a really nice tool -- FlightRadar24 -- has been discussed as a way to get a look at what aircraft are in the area before heading up for a high altitude flight. I use FR24 a lot (not just for high flying -- it's interesting to just check out the flights around).

So, this thread is about the paid version(s). Actually, its a subscription model, with two levels, Silver and Gold. Gold is just $4/mo or $35/yr, and since my practice is when I use an app regularly I like to pay for the upgraded version, went ahead and got the Gold license.

I highly recommend it. It adds all sorts of data, particularly GPS telemetry, and some really nice display features. I've configured it so the altitude and speed is displayed next to each aircraft, which makes it really easy at a glance to see if there's anything that might be a problem if I head up. Here's a screen shot:

Screenshot_20170624-124847.png

Flightradar24 does not give you information on all aircraft, there are many it does not cover so it would be highly unwise to depend on it if you are also unwise enough to be flying above 500m...

Correct -- it doesn't have 100% coverage.

It has like 99.9% coverage. (estimate)

Plenty of times I see it missing emergency responders like police. I use it for flying legally but still keep an eye out for any craft in the area and bring her back in as required if I see something close by

Correct -- it doesn't have 100% coverage.

It has like 99.9% coverage. (estimate)
Not even close.... especially for general aviation or heli traffic (which is the traffic we quad fliers need to be concerned about the most). According to FlightRadar 24's own web site:

ADS-B is a relatively new technology under development, which means that today it's rarely used by Air Traffic Control (ATC). Our estimations show that roughly 70% of all commercial passenger aircraft (80% in Europe, 60% in the US) are equipped with an ADS-B transponder. For general aviation this number is probably below 20%. The percentage of aircraft equipped with ADS-B receivers is steadily increasing though, as they will become mandatory for most aircraft around the world by 2020. When mandatory, ADS-B will replace primary radar as the primary surveillance method used by ATC.​

I've only ever used FR for info on aircraft that may impinge on my drone flying (as in, below 1000 feet) and it hasn't once offered me any information on aircraft I'm looking directly at.

It's fine for information, but you definitely should NOT rely on it for safety concerns.

Not even close....
Alright.

99.8%.

Do you think that fr24 only shows ADS-B telemetry? If so, you're wrong.

What do you think AT controllers are looking at on their scopes? Did you know that data is available to the public?

fr24 gets data from the following sources:
ADS-B
US/Canada radar
MLAT
FLARM

Pretty much in my area if the controllers at the Watsonville Airport can see it on their scopes, I can see it on fr24.

Last edited:
Get your certificate and fly legally. We will all be better off. Class G airspace under 400 feet unless you have a waiver. Ya Ya 400 feet above a structure too.

Alright.

99.8%.

What do you think AT controllers are looking at on their scopes? Did you know that data is available to the public?

ADS-B
US/Canada radar
MLAT
FLARM

Pretty much in my area if the controllers at the Watsonville Airport can see it on their scopes, I can see it on fr24.

Of course I know it also includes radar data. But a LARGE number of GA and Heli's aren't even being followed on radar... especially when they are below 1000 feet. I'd like to see the actual numbers. I doubt it's anywhere close to 99.8%. Where did you get that number?

Alright.

99.8%.

ADS-B
US/Canada radar
MLAT
FLARM

The coverage is mostly excellent in TCAs/TMAs and other areas with low-altitude radar coverage, but that is not the case in many areas away from major airports, so it would be unwise to rely on it everywhere.

I've installed several payed IOS apps.
all of them have 2 major problems:
1. not every flight is covered (not even close)
2. at least 30sec delay.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31