DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-II - My ONE fear!

Cliff_622

Reactions
So it's very widely expected now that the Mavic Pro-II will have many (if not all) of the electronic components of the current Phantom 4 Pro. This makes TONS of sense from a development cost and R&D cost perspective. If DJI can take the vast majority of P4P's chipset and "re-pack" them into a new motherboard form factor then all of DJI's P4P software programming can be copied over. This could represent (and save) thousands of carefully crafted and fine tuned programming hours saved on a new Mavic Pro-II platform.

We already know from DJI that the Mavic Air takes the P4P's image processor today. It might even be "possible" that the Mavic Air motherboard is "already" the same motherboard that could go into the new Mavic Pro-II.

So,..here is the scary part....We know the P4P has a STELLAR Sony 1inch-type image sensor. However, HALF the beauty of that camera is it's true automatic iris/aperture. It smoothly opens and closes just like a true "camcorder" lens does. It gives you smooth transitions form f2.8 to f11 allowing you to lock your shutter at 1/60 and fly around with your aperture doing it's job wonderfully.

What if DJI "removes" this iris/aperture to "shrink the size" of the new camera? What if the Mavic Pro-II has this fantastic sensor and image processor...but is crippled with static, non-moving f2.8 aperture?

OMG,...this would be GREAT to protect the Phantom 4 Pro and Phantom 5 sales but would be TRAGIC for Mavic Pro-II. [gulp] Man,...I pray that doesn't happen!

CT

Nahh. I'd continue to use NDs, (less convenient for sure) but still have a stellar image quality.

Don't underestimate the enormous convenience factor of the Mavic, and what folks are willing to trade for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
What’s the point in worrying about something that may not be true? Seems like wasted effort. We can worry about it when it’s announced

Reactions: Csaldana7
It's always been like this before a new model comes out. You ought to read in PhantomPilots what they think the P5 will have . I just wait till they do come out with what ever and go from there .:)

From what the Twitter spy says, the new Mavic is going to be larger than the current MP. It’s going to be a “Mavic shaped, foldable, phantom 4 Pro”. Apparently the prototype has gotten 32 minutes of flight, and is expected to be priced higher than $1299.

It's always been like this before a new model comes out. You ought to read in PhantomPilots what they think the P5 will have . I just wait till they do come out with what ever and go from there .:)
Certainly,...this is something I have no controll over. Im not "that" worried about it. I also own a P4P and its a joy to throw an ND on and lock my shutter at 1/60 and fly. With a locked iris, even with a well chosen ND, you will still have shutter speeds going up and down based on your image changes. I just ride my +/- EV and let my iris open and close.

This is the missing element that makes a true video camera. You really need iris and shutter speed to control light. Having just shutter and ND means its a 1/2 camera for me.

It would suck if they pulled that.

Ain't it like most people, and I'm no different, we love to talk on things we don't know about. Wait and see, They might not even release this quad that has you fearing things. and don't be afraid. Fear not.

I'm more worried about whether or not my shoe laces are tied at any given moment than what DJI may or may not do with the next (if there even is one) incarnation of the Mavic Pro. What it will be, it will be. Or, maybe it won't ever be.

What is it you can't get with your MP with it's fixed aperture? You can change ISO, Shutter Speed, EV and ND.
I know that's oversimplifying things but I fly my MP commercially almost every day and aside from changing an ND filter now and then it's all been peachy. A couple samples below.
Having said all that I would like to see an adjustable aperture also but not at the expense of the size of the camera, as you did mention.
The MP is, IMHO, a heck of a little workhorse.
DJI_0941.JPG DJI_0059.JPG DJI_0336.JPG DJI_0052.JPG

It gives you smooth transitions form f2.8 to f11 allowing you to lock your shutter at 1/60 and fly around with your aperture doing it's job wonderfully
Well, that may be nice for point and shoot filming but a I certainly want to keep the exposure locked during a shoot. The reason for a variable aperture is mainly to get rid of ND filters and/or to influence the depth of field. I would want a variable aperture though. It would be easier to make photo's and film during the same flight. Now I normally land and take off the ND filter before I take photos. And to be able to choose the depth of field is a must for serious photography.

Reactions: Chirp
So it's very widely expected now that the Mavic Pro-II will have many (if not all) of the electronic components of the current Phantom 4 Pro. This makes TONS of sense from a development cost and R&D cost perspective. If DJI can take the vast majority of P4P's chipset and "re-pack" them into a new motherboard form factor then all of DJI's P4P software programming can be copied over. This could represent (and save) thousands of carefully crafted and fine tuned programming hours saved on a new Mavic Pro-II platform.

We already know from DJI that the Mavic Air takes the P4P's image processor today. It might even be "possible" that the Mavic Air motherboard is "already" the same motherboard that could go into the new Mavic Pro-II.

So,..here is the scary part....We know the P4P has a STELLAR Sony 1inch-type image sensor. However, HALF the beauty of that camera is it's true automatic iris/aperture. It smoothly opens and closes just like a true "camcorder" lens does. It gives you smooth transitions form f2.8 to f11 allowing you to lock your shutter at 1/60 and fly around with your aperture doing it's job wonderfully.

What if DJI "removes" this iris/aperture to "shrink the size" of the new camera? What if the Mavic Pro-II has this fantastic sensor and image processor...but is crippled with static, non-moving f2.8 aperture?

OMG,...this would be GREAT to protect the Phantom 4 Pro and Phantom 5 sales but would be TRAGIC for Mavic Pro-II. [gulp] Man,...I pray that doesn't happen!

CT
Well, this might reduce the fear a bit, a new rumor from the same twitter source " OsitaLV that Mavic Pro 2 will come in two versions. 1" sensor and 1/1.7" sensor

Up to anyone to believe it

I wish they would go ahead and announce the darn thing.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
I agree it will be announced. If I knew it would have the 1 inch sensor I would wait a while longer.

You are right about the speculation.

Paul Caldwell

CT

Are you sure you can sleep tonight? :)

Reactions: Limelime
What is it you can't get with your MP with it's fixed aperture? You can change ISO, Shutter Speed, EV and ND.
I know that's oversimplifying things but I fly my MP commercially almost every day and aside from changing an ND filter now and then it's all been peachy. A couple samples below.
Having said all that I would like to see an adjustable aperture also but not at the expense of the size of the camera, as you did mention.
The MP is, IMHO, a heck of a little workhorse.
View attachment 35095 View attachment 35096 View attachment 35097 View attachment 35098

Those are very nice images!! I like how sharp and clear they are. Just wondering, are you using AEB also?

Reactions: Chirp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr