DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Quickshots.....

I have a thread 1/2 done on these modes that I should get posted today.

IMHO, these modes are really aimed at the Spark and when you don't have a controller. A big part of the Spark marketing is a drone that you don't need a controller with. Just toss it up and it takes some "cool" photos and video. If you notice at the end of the movement, the drone also flies back to the starting point. On the Mavic, these modes make less sense. But the Mavic has the processing power to include these modes so DJI added them.

It will then fly whatever angle is necessary to keep you in centre of frame.
Quickshots used Active Track to "follow" the subject. So it does not adjust it's flight angle, it adjusts the camera angle to keep the subject in frame. It will adjust flight but this only applies if a horizontal move is needed.

I'd love to see an example of a manual Helix flight with the subject moving at the same time. Heck, even with a stationary subject that move would be extremely difficult.

Does Helix follow a moving subject? I still have to try this one

Quickshots used Active Track to "follow" the subject. So it does not adjust it's flight angle, it adjusts the camera angle to keep the subject in frame. It will adjust flight but this only applies if a horizontal move is needed.
Yeah, I commented on the same thing back on the first page, asking if this was really the case. I tried it again this evening and found out that it definitely does not adjust its angle to keep the subject in the frame. In fact, when I tried it this evening, it started flying away almost horizontally for the first half of the flight before finally starting to gain some altitude. Not sure if there's a way to control that, but I don't think it did that on a previous attempt.

Something else I learned trying the Quickshots this evening was that at the end of the back-away Dronie maneuver, it flew back to where it started. I must not have let it finish when I tried it before. It did the same thing with the Helix and Rocket modes, returning to the start position when done.

Does Helix follow a moving subject? I still have to try this one
Yes, it circles, rises but also keeps the circle around the subject.

Making a clean, smooth circle around an object is an advanced moved. Trying to increase altitude smoothly while doing this would be next to impossible. Trying to do this on a moving object, even more difficult. Despite what has been claimed, I don't see anyone being able to do this move manually.

Yes, it circles, rises but also keeps the circle around the subject.

Making a clean, smooth circle around an object is an advanced moved. Trying to increase altitude smoothly while doing this would be next to impossible. Trying to do this on a moving object, even more difficult. Despite what has been claimed, I don't see anyone being able to do this move manually.
Don't forget while also trying to keep the gimbal pointed down at the subject.

But even if you are that good, unless you're always taking video of someone else, or you always want videos of yourself while flying the Mavic, you need some automation to make the shots look good (read "unscripted").

Please feel free to post an example of a manual Helix flight. I'd love to see it.

My remark was in reference to Ron Dog...as in "child's play for the dog!". It's exhausting to have to constantly explain context and reference to people on here. Sigh.

What you say is correct. I really don't see a reasonable explanation why lever UP not be functional during a Dronie movement. I think DJI needs to look into this.
Yeah i agree sometimes you need to adjust the height to have some different perspective in dronie mode :)
I agree, in a situation like the one you described, pushing the left lever up is the most spontaneous reaction

I haven't used the selfie mode on my Karma or Solo in awhile but it seems that it's about the same. You set the parameters ahead of time and let it run so you can be in the shot.

Please feel free to post an example of a manual Helix flight. I'd love to see it.
Ask,and you shall recieve! ;)At 2:45 in the video I fly a 180 helix around the tree,then head up the road,in a 15mph crosswind! Easy Peezy!

Ask,and you shall recieve! ;)At 2:45 in the video I fly a 180 helix around the tree,then head up the road,in a 15mph crosswind! Easy Peezy!

Nope. Not a Helix. You simply fly a 1/2 circle around something. The Helix mode is several circles around the subject all while increasing altitude.

Nope. Not a Helix. You simply fly a 1/2 circle around something. The Helix mode is several circles around the subject all while increasing altitude.
Nope, look a little closer and you will see me decend,as I'm setting it up,and climb as I circle around,and pull away from the tree! A helix can be 180,360, reverse,start out high and go low,while comming in closer,ect. The "helix" is nothing more than widening the circle,while climbing,or decending,be it 180 360,ect! Circling around a object (nose in) at the same altitude is called a funnel,or as DJI tries to state it,a POI! These manuvers have been done for years by heli pilots. The Helix "mode" is DJI's idea of what a helix is,like the term they use for the Transmitter the (RC)?o_O RC means Radio Control,not "Transmitter"!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nope, look a little closer and you will see me decend,as I'm setting it up,and climb as I circle around,and pull away from the tree! A helix can be 180,360, reverse,start out high and go low,while comming in closer,ect. The "helix" is nothing more than widening the circle,while climbing,or decending,be it 180 360,ect! Circling around a object (nose in) at the same altitude is called a funnel,or as DJI tries to state it,a POI! These manuvers have been done for years by heli pilots. The Helix "mode" is DJI's idea of what a helix is,like the term they use for the Transmitter the (RC)?o_O RC means Radio Control,not "Transmitter"!:rolleyes:

Well, I'll give you credit for being pretty smooth. I can do these maneuvers as well but not as smooth as you yet. I think the shots are cool but I almost never use them either. Video is a secondary by product for me. I just enjoy flying.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Well, I'll give you credit for being pretty smooth. I can do these maneuvers as well but not as smooth as you yet. I think the shots are cool but I almost never use them either. Video is a secondary by product for me. I just enjoy flying.
I enjoy flying the MP as a break from my racing drones. It's nice to set back and relax while flying for a change of pace. I too enjoy flying (almost too much):D I love flying my 3 D planes also. I like the challenge of doing manuvers yourself,instead of pressing buttons,to get results. Practice = More Flying = More Fun!;) I'm far from good,as I watch other guy's fly drones. Some are simply amazing,and well connected to their machines. I also make changes to my Tx.......... Ops! RC! LOL! I set the gain higher,then add expo,to help smooth movement out at center stick. With the sticks more responceive you can do manuvers easier,with less stick movement,and combined with the expo,to smooth out your input. Sometimes Less is More.;)

Last edited:
I'm new at this, and the simultaneous adjustments of both sticks and the gimbal while keeping the subject centered, and panning, rotating, and changing elevation smoothly, are not easy. I understand that will get better with experience, but frankly, I think Quickshots produces a better result than even an experienced pilot like you, as far as smoothness and keeping the subject centered. I mean no offense by that, as that's certainly much better than I can do. But personally, I really appreciate the fact that even a beginner like me can whip out the drone, and fairly quickly and easily capture a pretty good looking complex shot, and even do that with myself in the frame, and being part of the environment rather than starring down at the remote.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor