DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic showed "disconnected" and fell into a waterfall. 14 months old

Downunder

Reactions
Hello,

I was flying my Mavic Pro, which is now about 14 months old. I did have the refresh but this has expired. I bought it in October 2016
I was flying in an areas with very limited GPS so had to fly ATTI mode.
I've flown R/C helicopters most my life and am very competent at flying 'manually'
I was flying in a gorge and near a waterfall. All was going well until the controller flashed up "Disconnected" I was only about 5 meters from the drone.
I lost all control of the drone and within a few seconds it crashed against the gorge wall and dropped into the water killing my drone.
As this drone was outside the DJI refresh period can i still claim against a repair for the drone as it was not pilot error but a link issue between the controller and Mavic.
I have synced my logs with the APP to the DJI server.
As the drone is dead I'm not sure where else I can get these logs to DJI to look at the problem.

Here's the Airdata link for the log

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Any idea would be great

The problem is a bit more complicated here.
Your Mavic was flying in Atti mode when this happened, that means it will drift if even VPS does not work due to flying above water or higher above ground than VPS range.
Shortly before the accident there was a problem with the downlink. To my experience this signals a problem with the GO4 USB communication due to a hanging app or other mobile device problem.
And in some rare cases this may lead to a hangup of the remote's firmware and therefore disconnection of the Mavic and control loss.
The only thing you can do in such a situation is shutting down and restarting the remote. Normally this would be not a problem as the Mavic would either hover over its actual position or go into RTH, dependent on setting, but in this special case while in Atti mode the Mavic just drifted away and crashed.
That was just bad luck for you, **** happens...

"I was flying in a gorge and near a waterfall"
I have read many reports here of problems operating near rock faces and water.
I don't know much about the science of radio signals but conclude that this environment is sketchy.
Have seen videos of people doing it with no apparent problems.
Seem high risk but I really don't know.
Can a expert make a call on this?

Do you want a medal for that. You never know until you call DJI and talk to them about it.
My friend
Yes, I want a medal from you! Let me think... the MP crashed into the wall and into the water and you want him to argue for a BRAND NEW refresh+ warranty. Sorry but I just have to LOL. Asking for consideration within in existing warranties is totally different.

You have to show them videos of your drone working before they will sell you this.
Worth looking into. This seems easy to fabricate if needed.
I wouldn't feel guilty about it, given that it may be a fault on their end (but probably isn't due to ATTI mode and other interference/VPS issues noted). Still, worth the college try, if only for a discount on a new aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki