DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic signing off: 64 hours, 1507km, 277 flights

Hi Guys
Hi Guys

Today my Mavic decided to call it a day and has been lost forever.

After a pretty routine flight on my first battery I took it down and fitted my second battery, after about 5 minutes in the air the video feed began to vibrate violently from side to side up and down, I have never seen this before, even with no input into the controller it continued to do it (at this point in time I was sitting around 100m height and 300 m in distance, after about 2 minutes later I hit the Return to Home button on the controller and the drone began to move towards me. After it reached the return to home point at around 50 m away from me I had it in sight and it seemed normal and stable i.e it didn't appear to wildly rotate in a way a lost a prop or motor would behave. At this point in time I assumed it was only a gimbal issue and not a critical fault, it began to descend as per the RTH program. I cancelled the RTH to bring it in closer to me however it appeared to not respond correctly to my controller inputs. It appeared to perform large circles while maintaining height. Suddenly from my line of sight it appeared to descend faster than usual while still doing the large loops. Visually it still appeared to be still pretty stable. At this point in time it had dropped below the tree line and the video feed shows it spiraling into the river albeit un-retrievable .

See below for the final moments (its heart breaking watching this over and over!)

Iv had my Mavic for just over 12 months, It had done 64 hours, 1507km (936mi), 277 flights. It had never seen a crash and had been treated like a commercial jet, with pre flight checks and inspection of props and motor temps every month. Before it decided to fly away it was in immaculate condition and looked brand new.

While I racked my brain on how this could occur I thought back to the countless threads I have read over the past 12 months about other people loosing there drones generally come to the conclusion that it was a preventable incidents i.e pilot error , use of non oem props, modifications etc. these where great reads but I’d thought would never happen to me.

After several hours of allowing it to sinking in id conceded that no amount of deliberation can bring the Mavic back although it had brought me countless hours of joy and a year of memories there is still a part of me being frustrated for not bringing it down sooner (where it could have been retrieved on dry land) and not knowing what the root cause was. However the Mavic is at the end of the day a piece of electronics just like phones ,tvs and computers we have around the house, they do have a finite life.

I’d hate to think this is a Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) statistic – just ~60 hours – but it would be quiet interesting to know what the actual Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) is for a Mavic and what the experience others have had (provided they have not had prior damage or been in crashes).

Nonetheless my mavic had flown an impressive distance and had been flawless up until now. It is now the time to move on.

Cheers all
Catastrophic failures happen ,thanks for all that info ,One of my Mavics has been having those Jittery picture and Gimbal craziness, it has also done over 1,200km over time ,Might try have a Closer look at it and see if anything is a miss. Your Loss is A sad one but your Post has indeed helped me and I'm sure others ,in the warning signs to look out For prior to loss of control. Good Karma coming your way.
Today my Mavic decided to call it a day and has been lost forever.

After a pretty routine flight on my first battery I took it down and fitted my second battery, after about 5 minutes in the air the video feed began to vibrate violently from side to side up and down, I have never seen this before, even with no input into the controller it continued to do it (at this point in time I was sitting around 100m height and 300 m in distance, after about 2 minutes later I hit the Return to Home button on the controller and the drone began to move towards me. After it reached the return to home point at around 50 m away from me I had it in sight and it seemed normal and stable i.e it didn't appear to wildly rotate in a way a lost a prop or motor would behave. At this point in time I assumed it was only a gimbal issue and not a critical fault, it began to descend as per the RTH program. I cancelled the RTH to bring it in closer to me however it appeared to not respond correctly to my controller inputs. It appeared to perform large circles while maintaining height. Suddenly from my line of sight it appeared to descend faster than usual while still doing the large loops. Visually it still appeared to be still pretty stable. At this point in time it had dropped below the tree line and the video feed shows it spiraling into the river albeit un-retrievable .

See below for the final moments (its heart breaking watching this over and over!)

Iv had my Mavic for just over 12 months, It had done 64 hours, 1507km (936mi), 277 flights. It had never seen a crash and had been treated like a commercial jet, with pre flight checks and inspection of props and motor temps every month. Before it decided to fly away it was in immaculate condition and looked brand new.

While I racked my brain on how this could occur I thought back to the countless threads I have read over the past 12 months about other people loosing there drones generally come to the conclusion that it was a preventable incidents i.e pilot error , use of non oem props, modifications etc. these where great reads but I’d thought would never happen to me.

After several hours of allowing it to sinking in id conceded that no amount of deliberation can bring the Mavic back although it had brought me countless hours of joy and a year of memories there is still a part of me being frustrated for not bringing it down sooner (where it could have been retrieved on dry land) and not knowing what the root cause was. However the Mavic is at the end of the day a piece of electronics just like phones ,tvs and computers we have around the house, they do have a finite life.

I’d hate to think this is a Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) statistic – just ~60 hours – but it would be quiet interesting to know what the actual Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) is for a Mavic and what the experience others have had (provided they have not had prior damage or been in crashes).

Nonetheless my mavic had flown an impressive distance and had been flawless up until now. It is now the time to move on.

Cheers all

If you want to know what happened (I get the sense that maybe you don't) you could retrieve the .DAT from the tablet.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones app will automatically upload, analyze and visualize every flight

I have gotten in the habit of reviewing each flight for warnings at a minimum. Might or might not give early indications of a problem. Here is an example

Log_Example.JPG

Reactions: Ce4tnkr
Alot of thoughts crossed my mind and $1/km was one of them! then i felt depressed. :(;)

from what iv read over and over on this forum is that DJI needs to have the dfective mavic for a mavic replacement. so i dont think iv got much hope.
I guess the looking at the bright side that it didnt do any damage or hit anyone.
Sorry to hear about the loss.
Your story is similar to mine, lost over water after a mid air failure. Send in your logs to DJI, and start a case with them.
They came back to me that they couldn't fault the piloting or the craft and offered a 30% discount. I replied that i would accept 50:50 to which they agreed

Reactions: Ce4tnkr
Alot of thoughts crossed my mind and $1/km was one of them! then i felt depressed. :(;)

from what iv read over and over on this forum is that DJI needs to have the dfective mavic for a mavic replacement. so i dont think iv got much hope.
I guess the looking at the bright side that it didnt do any damage or hit anyone.
This mavicpilots blog spot is one of the most supportive, collaborative and helpful groups of like minded people I've seen in a while. Collectively we know quite a bit (almost as much as msinger!) and I've seen technical advice given enabling people to recover lost drones.
I've suggested before that a committee of sorts be formed for instances where a drone is lost and the video and/or flight logs can be supplied, and if other avenues are exhausted then the mavicpilots community fund a new drone if the flight meets certain parameters determined by the committee. I'd be more than happy to put in a few dollars to support other members as long as they weren't being reckless etc.
Very sorry for your loss, I guess we're all destined for a similar experience sooner or later - Death, Taxes, Drone Crashes!

Reactions: mpa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe