DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic spinning out of control. Any thoughts on that?

FlyingRod

Reactions
I was flying my Mavic this morning, and take off was normal. I just felt the drone wasn't flying as fast as it usually does. I thought it could be just the wind, so I kept flying it.
Passed about 5 minutes I decided bringing the Mavic back, and that's when weird things started to happen. It was hard to establish a straight line (once again, I thought it could be some crosswinds), so the drone at this point was flying kind of sideways (diagonally), going off the landing point. Luckily, I activated the "Return to Home" button, and it basically flew by itself to the take-off point. When the drone was hovering above me (initiating its descending), it started spinning out of control. I switched back to manual and landed it as fast as I could, and despite some skidding on the ground the drone seems to be in perfect condition (no blades broken).
Have you guys ever experienced that? Any thoughts on what might be causing this spinning?
thanks!

run a compass and IMU calibration. Especially the compass cal. Do it away from metal objects, outside, and take off any rings and or watches before running the calibration.

Reactions: FlyingRod
Could be a piece of sand got wedged at the base of the left stick, so it's constantly getting input to yaw left or right

Could be a piece of sand got wedged at the base of the left stick, so it's constantly getting input to yaw left or right

I don't think that was the problem. I keep the drone & controller in a case, and I've never exposed those to a beach or dirt environment (yet).

I watched the footage, and noticed the image was not only tilted, but it seems like the drone was having trouble trying to get itself leveled. That may explain why it was flying diagonally... Still have no idea what might have caused that.

Last edited:
I don't think that was the problem. I keep the drone & controller in a case, and I've never exposed those to a beach or dirt environment (yet).

I watched the footage, and noticed the image was not only tilted, but it seems like the drone was having trouble trying to get itself leveled. That may explain why it was flying diagonally... Still have no idea what might have caused that.

A couple of things I would check. Turn everything on and have a look in the app at the sensors and compass and see if there are any anomalies there.
The next thing I would check is the propellers. Are they all installed properly. If you manually turn them, do they seem normal. Just wondering if one motor/propeller wasn't spinning up properly.

I was flying my Mavic this morning, and take off was normal. I just felt the drone wasn't flying as fast as it usually does. I thought it could be just the wind, so I kept flying it.
Passed about 5 minutes I decided bringing the Mavic back, and that's when weird things started to happen. It was hard to establish a straight line (once again, I thought it could be some crosswinds), so the drone at this point was flying kind of sideways (diagonally), going off the landing point. Luckily, I activated the "Return to Home" button, and it basically flew by itself to the take-off point. When the drone was hovering above me (initiating its descending), it started spinning out of control. I switched back to manual and landed it as fast as I could, and despite some skidding on the ground the drone seems to be in perfect condition (no blades broken).
Have you guys ever experienced that? Any thoughts on what might be causing this spinning?
thanks!

Check the motors. Perhaps there is some debris in one of them. You should also check the temperature of each of them when you see that behavior. If one of the motors is laboring, it'll be much warmer or hotter than the others. You can take off the propeller mount and check if there's anything in each of the motors.

Another option is to connect your PC to the Mavic and use DJI Assistance to download the DAT log for that flight. Use the tool Datcon to view the current draw for each of the motors. Most likely one is pulling more power due to some issue. With Datcon you can also check MANY other parameters to verify IMU, COMPASS, ESCs, Motors, etc are all working correctly.

Reactions: FlyingRod
thanks!
Have you tried to fly again since with a new battery to see if turn it off and on didn't help?
On what firmware are you operating?

Thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike