DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic tips for dusk flying? Take-off and video

MavicPilot

Reactions
Hi All,

So, I did a couple of quick searches and all I found were references to folks taking awesome photos and video's and the specs they used. I think my issue is different and I was hoping for some feedback.

Platform: Android and iOS iPhone7 with iOS 10.2.
MP with .700 (started when I had .400 as of a newer GO 4 app release)

Problem #1:
- If I try taking off a dusk it will not allow me to. I am not talking about flying in night or illegally or unsafe. Kids are still playing in the yard without a need for light and my backyard does not have alternative / artificial lights on or near.

Solution: Turn on some flood lights and point the front sensors at them. It allows me to take off.

Problem #2:

Once I take off and am away from the floods the app footage, and associated mov files, are completely black as if I was in complete midnight/darkness.

Solution: unknown.

My neighbor sets off a HUGE fireworks display once a year and I have filmed it successfully with my P1 (GoPro3) and my P3A (2 years in a row); however, I was extremely disappointed that I missed out this year with the MP. I did notice this same behavior when trying to tape a dusk shot a couple of weeks ago, but I did not put much thought into it. I was also running .700 without approving the NFZ updates. So, maybe I am being penalized for that?

I really expected that the video (screen) was wrong and the mov files would show a good display as I did not NEED FPV to tape it. The display is only 15-20' from my backyard.

Things I tried:
- 1080 vs 4K (24fp and 30fp)
- managing the contrast in flight
- closing and relaunching the app and rebooting the phone - trying both an android and iOS device (mid flight).

The android app crashed multiple times and eventually asked me to log back into the DJI app (was in airplane mode and it went back to non-airplane somehow and the device is non-cellular). I logged back in by walking into the house, but then the entire app was in Chinese or some other language - or maybe just complete gibberish.

At this point, I feel like if you do not have a cellular based device then DJI is giving it to you up the ***. Strangely enough, even though the Spark has it's issues, it seems more reliable than my MP.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the advice.

All I can offer is that I've taken off in total darkness a few times using 0700, took some photos of distant civilization lights and also the moon, no issues. I don't have any connectivity on my phone when flying, but do keep the app updated every time I learn there is a new version.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes