DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic took a nice swim

TRP

Reactions
Welp, seems that I had a bad crash while in Mexico and completely dunked my Mavic. It worked after I dried it out and initialized fine until I tried it a few days alter and it wouldnt connect to my remote control. Started the repair process with DJI and I stupidly forgot to purchase DJI Care. Lets see how it goes....

Sorry [emoji52] any video of that ? Good luck with the repair

I think the looming question is what happened? Why did it crash? We all appreciate the learnings on things like this.

And very sorry about that for you. How disheartening. :(

Welp, seems that I had a bad crash while in Mexico and completely dunked my Mavic. It worked after I dried it out and initialized fine until I tried it a few days alter and it wouldnt connect to my remote control. Started the repair process with DJI and I stupidly forgot to purchase DJI Care. Lets see how it goes....
sounds like you powered it up right after? it probably wouldn't have mattered but I think it would have been best to put I in a very dry location for several days before trying to power back up.

I feel for you, but DJI care refresh does not cover water damage so that would have done you no good.
Hope the repair does not cost you an arm and a leg.
Let us know the outcome.

Thought there was a post started saying that DJI Refresh did now cover water damage.

SkyHigh Pyro Eye flying above

Yes it does (now). They just posted a 'merry christmas update' and say they cover it.

o_O No s*#+, that is great news for us pilots.
DJI is stepping up, nice.

Thanks for the update.
Do you have a link, can't find it on the normal care refresh page!

DJI refresh does indeed cover it. Just saw a thread on it today.

I did not turn the Mavic on right after but ti was operable when I took it out of the water. I immediately disconnected the battery and let it dry for 2 days before powering up again. It worked at first and I took the props off and "flew" it on the table. Everything responded well with no issues. I then turned it off and let it sit for another day. I turned it on again after 3 days and it started acting weird and flashed yellow which means the rc wasnt connected. I tired manually connecting it with no luck.

The mess up: Was flying above a pool and was doing a large sweeping motion on a group of friends and I. I didnt realize how close I was to a pillar and one of the props barely knicked it and caused the Mavic to go into a downward spiral, hit a ledge of the pillar and straight into the water. Definitely pilot error no matter how you look at it. Mavic has no noticeable damage (to my surprise) besides taking a 30 second swim.

I do have it recorded but dont have the footage as of yet (bummed out so I havent even touched it). I dont expect the repairs to be too much and even buying a new unit is feasible for me. hopefully its only a few hundred dollars and the turn around is quick. Keeping my fingers crossed.

WOW, now it's a no brainer for me to get care refresh when my Mavic arrives, thanks for the link niclariv!

Reactions: niclariv
Absolutely. I'm using it right now for a pilot-error crash I'll post about later.. So glad I bought it.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

DJI refresh does indeed cover it. Just saw a thread on it today.

I did not turn the Mavic on right after but ti was operable when I took it out of the water. I immediately disconnected the battery and let it dry for 2 days before powering up again. It worked at first and I took the props off and "flew" it on the table. Everything responded well with no issues. I then turned it off and let it sit for another day. I turned it on again after 3 days and it started acting weird and flashed yellow which means the rc wasnt connected. I tired manually connecting it with no luck.

The mess up: Was flying above a pool and was doing a large sweeping motion on a group of friends and I. I didnt realize how close I was to a pillar and one of the props barely knicked it and caused the Mavic to go into a downward spiral, hit a ledge of the pillar and straight into the water. Definitely pilot error no matter how you look at it. Mavic has no noticeable damage (to my surprise) besides taking a 30 second swim.

I do have it recorded but dont have the footage as of yet (bummed out so I havent even touched it). I dont expect the repairs to be too much and even buying a new unit is feasible for me. hopefully its only a few hundred dollars and the turn around is quick. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi !
What i learned the hard way is that you should completely immerse your electronics first in tab water and then in distilled water, best when its still wet.
This will wash away the dirt, salts and mineral components.
Its all wet, so why not ?
Its typical for an electronic gadget to work shorty after drying but then fail very soon as stuff is corroding inside.

Dry it in silica gel or rice. Best to open it up as dar as possible without too much hassle.

My 2 Eurocents, hope i dont need it for the Mavic so soon, saved a Notebook, a smartphone and 2 drones for me. Did NOT work 2 other times...

Ender

Update:

I went ahead and turned on the Mavic today ( 1 week since swim, 4 days since last startup ) and everything initialized correctly and looked good to go from the app. I already have a service ticket and a shipping label from DJI though so I am not sure what to do :p

I feel for you, but DJI care refresh does not cover water damage so that would have done you no good.
Hope the repair does not cost you an arm and a leg.
Let us know the outcome.

Now it does... oh well, i'm placing my preorder today, i dont know wether or not I should buy care

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Saw a video of a guy that submerged his and dried it out with 2 pounds of rice in a bag for a day and it worked, fresh water that is.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sorry to hear of your crash. For learnings sake how long did it stay on top of the water for? Did you have time to grab it or did it start to sink pretty quickly?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes