DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic water recovery system

Subscribed! Can you give us more detail on the strapping system you used for the noodles? Also how did you shave down the noodle to 2.5 from 3"? I'd like to see a water bottle float in action as well seems like a good idea.

I purchased 3 cylders @ 2" 2.5" and 3". So I did not have to resize each.

The strap is Velcro and it loop under the strut at the mid section. Then up and over itself to attach. The mid strut has two strips that go into the groves between the two sensors. This lock it from forward and horizontal movement. The back strut fits snug behind the rear landing skids.

Expanded closed cell poly is very light weight and would think compare with the weight of a water bottle.

I reason think a water bottle would be less of a option are as follows:

Rigidity: sticking these in your packpack would damage them.

Attachment, how can you run your struts and attach them to the bottles.

Two things I think are key. Weight and attachment. A sloppy fit and you will have movement in flight effecting performance and telemetry. The "pool noodle" is shapable in that in can be cut to conform to the mavic.

I did make two 2" cylders that fit over the front landing gear. This I think would solve the issue with the floats center of mass not lining up with the mavic center of mass. In order to ensure the pool noodles never get in camera view they are offset. As of now the mavic will be nose heavy in water. Concerns with the polyethylene cylders on the front landing gear would be effects on the antenna's in their and if they would get in the way.

Reactions: voxelman
I would not think there would not be a reliability issues with the getterback deploying i would think it would be getting a clear path up to the surface. Any structure at the bottom may cause it to hang up. Like your expensive tackle on weeds and any coral. The mavic is very dense and unlike us which we have a lot of hot air in us that makes us float when we lay on our back in water. The mavic will sink like a brick to the bottom as you wait for deployment.

Reactions: flydogs
i could not find it but there was information on the bottom sensor indicating around a 22 degree cone angle. float are about a 40 degree angle. As indicated above app correctly displays distance to the ground. as far as the precision landing feature i did not test and would not think it would be a issue. with the P3 the floats were much larger and i had many flights. those did get into some shots when orbiting a moving object. on the last page (3rd) is a video and you can see.

see Link:
P3A Floats

Below is battery data from Healthy Drones. They do not seem to burn up that much battery. Also do not seem to effect flight characteristics. They are much more streamlined then the ones i used on my P3

View attachment 3857 View attachment 3856

This is really encouraging Matt! I wonder what it would require to extend this approach to make the Mavic able to land on water!

Reactions: IcySparks
This is really encouraging Matt! I wonder what it would require to extend this approach to make the Mavic able to land on water!
It's very top heavy. The floats would need to be mounted high if you don't want it to flip over. Huge difference between landing and recovery.

Reactions: mstevens

It's very top heavy. The floats would need to be mounted high if you don't want it to flip over. Huge difference between landing and recovery.

The Mavic is not as top heavy as the phantom. there is a few system out there for the phantom but also Youtube video's of them failing. but yes you need the clearance to keep it dry and then yes the more clearance the more it becomes top heavy. The float ball under the motors i think would work best for water landing. I have no interest in landing on water hence the life jacket approach. These fit in my backpack and no modifications needed to the mavic. I wanted something i could quickly pull out of the water in case of mechanical failure or pilot error with minimum water intrusion.

But to answer you question best i can think would be the balls or pontoon extensions under the motors arms with enough clearance to keep it dry

Last edited:

I got this with Google translate:

"Material list:
4 Styrofoam balls, 10cm diameter from the baskets, 1 € / piece
1 Mavic Landinggear, one finds thus with Aunt Google for'n 10er from China
1 piece of plastic material
2 M6 bolts and nuts
Some hot glue
Color from Edding for the French attitude: P

It is clear to me that this design does not exceed the free fall of the cop from a great height. However, I hope that with such a fracture landing, at least 2 of the spheres remain on the Kopter and hold the same on the water surface. In the case of smoother ditches, I calculate with a controlled swimming of the cop. However, some parts could become wet.

Test flights with a load of 80 grams have so far been smooth. The Copter feels as always. I use the frame only on flights over water - is good for the nerves and the Kopter is longer visible: saint:"

Also if you go to the link provided in the posting there are lots of pictures of how they made the set up.

I found these 4 inch and 3 inch sets on Amazon:

Smooth Foam Balls for Crafts and School Projects (4" Inch - 12 Balls) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM3DC2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8HkDybHRSE26F

Hygloss 51103 12-Piece Styrofoam Balls, 3-Inch, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FDATEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qFkDybETJXF08

I went ahead and got the set of twelve 4 inch ones since that's just slightly larger than 10 cm. All the other sets I found with fewer numbers added up to greater cost when getting for. I figure I can screw up a few now if I have to. I also have an extra set of landing gear.

Incidentally, here is a really cheap ($9.95 with same-day Prime shipping) deal on landing gear on Amazon:

SKYREAT DJI Mavic Pro Landing Gear Stabilizers - Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N99MMT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AKkDybHNYWF89

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Don't put too much hype into the GetterBack. This thing is designed for securing keys which fall into water e.g. within a harbour or from a peer. If you will fly over open water such as a lake with some waves and you don't know the crash location with few meters acurracy there is little chance for finding the little GetterBack floating on the surface.

Reactions: WAXMAN and flydogs
Don't put too much hype into the GetterBack. This thing is designed for securing keys which fall into water e.g. within a harbour or from a peer. If you will fly over open water such as a lake with some waves and you don't know the crash location with few meters acurracy there is little chance for finding the little GetterBack floating on the surface.
Sorry but have to disagree . I have 3 other phantoms and all have them as well as my mavic will . I started using them when they came out on my high-end fishing rods and have had them save several of my rod & reels . They are only good for 100' but they do work .

I am impressed by the video. When I had tried a similar approach on a different quad, it couldn't hanndle the turbulence. It flipped upside down. This looks like it would actually work! Thank you

Yes, the Mavic's foldable design comes with the caveat that it doesn't have long legs. But that also lowers the center of gravity by a lot, and that turns out to be an advantage in this case.

Sorry but have to disagree . I have 3 other phantoms and all have them as well as my mavic will . I started using them when they came out on my high-end fishing rods and have had them save several of my rod & reels . They are only good for 100' but they do work .
Sure they work, but have you ever searched for them in wavy water in a distance of hundreds of meters without knowing the exact position? Somwhere you have first to approach with a boat?

Not with a drone no been lucky. But yes with my rods flying off during blast offs They are not hard to see .
Also here everyone has a boat so that's not an issue as far as getting out there .
Hopefully if mine ever goes down I can tell from my app close to where it is .
You don't believe in em don't use them. I do and am .Is better than nothing
and were not designed for keys .
71iPSb5jfQL__SX522_.jpg Everyone will come up with what suits them . Me ..this is it :)
Sorry @Matt for this getting off your topic .

Reactions: Mike_Flys
i would just strap 2 2 liters bottles on there. or a smaller type. would be much lighter.

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app
Two bottles of equivalent size weighed in at 2oz. (20oz bottle) This setup came out to 1.75oz so they are lighter. Also one two little weighs 2oz so two of them would weigh over twice as much Plus I have a option of removing the ABS plastic struits and reduce this more by utilizing carbon fiber. If you have ever worked with two part closed cell polyethylene a few drops will expand over 1 cubic inch. To much slop in that setup as well IMO

I wrapped the mavic up in a bag and floated it. Uploading the video and will share my conclusion.

IMG_5262.JPG IMG_5261.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: voxelman
Made something similar for my P3. These are for recovery only. Made these for the mavic. I fly quite a bit over open water. Mostly launch from the Aft hardtop on the boat out on the Great Lakes. Similar to the getrback concept but you don't have to worry about the depth of the water, will it deploy and waiting 15 minutes plus. Also trying to find a bobber that floats up out on open water.

Tested the mavic today for the first time. First without the flots then with them on. They do not interfere with the bottom sensors in that I can see a change in height on the app. I have not tested the bottom camera for the landing pic it takes. Not sure how you can access that picture if at all. Hand caught no problem. Just reach up from underneath.

It was 15 degrees today so just a short first flight to check the camera. Looks good thus far. No soft edges. Flew next to a brick school building to check. Didn't see any jello effects while flying as well.

I brought the osmo plus to film as I flew. I was going to use Autoframe by autopilot on the osmo to track the drone. (Airspace app links the two) Neat app but after a few minutes in 15 degrees setting that up I handed the osmo to my nine year old to film. Got some great shots of clouds and evething else but the mavic. Lol

Second flight was with the floats. I did not see any changes in flight characteristics. Second flight was a bit more agreesive to see if the floats got in the camera shot which they did not. Total weight is about 1.75 ounces. Tested them by adding 2# of weight on them in water. they are a bit past half way up as they floated in water. They should displace around 3#. The mavic weights a pound and a half but given it has vents on it and a hard crash water will get in increasing the amount of weight you need to displace. The floats are a bit aft of center mass so I would think more often than not it will actually find itself upside down in the event of a hard landing. I did not put them on and try and float it. It would get wet and these are not landing floats. Just recovery.

It's my mavic Life jacket. It will get wet but will not sink down to Davy Jones's locker.

I painted the rear tip black and the rest neon orange plastic dip spray. This I think will help with orientation from a distance. Two orange dots it is facing me. Orange ringes with black centers camera facing away.

I will do some more tests to see if this decrease performance but in a short flight on heathy drones I lost a couple of minutes of battery but then again my second flight with these on was much more aggressive.

These are just piece of mind and a way to quickly recover the drone in case it drops like a brick from the sky. I keep a bottle of denatured alcohol over 95% to quickly displace the water (after removal of battery) since I fly mostly over fresh water it is possible to negate water damage. Saltwater no way. Instant loss but with DJI refresh no drone no chance.

View attachment 3813 View attachment 3815 View attachment 3814
ingenious!

Below is a quick crude video. i wrapped the mavic in a kitchen bag.

My initial tests indicated it would float but the bottom would just be touching the water. Also to be of full use they may never appear in the camera. i stopped them horizontally with the camera to allow for the angle of the camera plus the pitch, roll & yaw . I did some further checking and i maybe able to extend these a bit. Checking the center of mass on both showed that given the shorter float upfront the center of mass was offset and i would expect it to pitch forward. I might make a set a little longer but i do not think i can gain enough forward length and insure no shots show these. Particularly when using the the Autopilot app orbiting a moving object. Autopilot real pushes the drone and on my P3 i had that float system pop up. mostly those were garbage shots anyways in that i lost the object center screen and would have cut that out anyways. if anyone is interested i can share those shots.

so just as i expected it did dip in front. on my second attempt i put so poly on the front legs. made a wold of difference. Hard to see in the video (didn't want to get the iPhone wet) it dose just touch the bottom.

Conclusions:

The Mavic Life Jacket can keep her dry for the most part especially if i make some better front float attachments.

If you want a landing system those balls are the best option

Few questions i have for the balls:

These go over the front antennas. Does that effect your range?
Do the Balls get in the way when filming? not just regular flying but when you are pushing it?
in the event of a drop from the sky be it a bird strike or mechanical failure will these stay together? i just can picture a couple of them flying off. Probably need two to float it.

Last edited:
You're a brave man, Matt. A 13 gallon tall kitchen bag is not the ideal Mavic condom, but I guess it'll work in a pinch...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honzax