DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic water recovery system

So this is how it sets up.

This site has been a wealth of information for my set up. Thank you everyone for your contributions. This setup is why i switched from the Phantom. In this backpack i have the Following:

Osmo Plus
Mini tripods
Mophie battery packs
SD card and readers
GoPro and accessories
all the charge cords
All the Mavic Stuff.., etc
Plus the back part holds a Laptop

So when i travel or in the summer head out on the Boat for the weekend it all fits! That reminds me i need to finalize that State farm personal articals policy

in the video below i show how all this goes together. Another quick video 2X speed. oh also the top compartment in that bag the ipad can sit as a sun screen. i went with the Dirty jay or what ever its called ipad mount due to its portability. not as study as the Mav mount but 10x more portable. as you can see in the video you can put it together backwards. Lol. when its all together its pretty comfortable. i have one more thing coming and that is the small individual hard case for the mavic and remote. its just like the osmo case you see me pulling out of the bag. Got that idea from the Bag/case thread.Again thk's everyone for all the great ideas. Maybe i will get those mini strobes and mount them on the pontoons?

I can follow up maybe this weekend with some video in the air with the Mavic Life Jacket if anyone is interested.

Made something similar for my P3. These are for recovery only. Made these for the mavic. I fly quite a bit over open water. Mostly launch from the Aft hardtop on the boat out on the Great Lakes. Similar to the getrback concept but you don't have to worry about the depth of the water, will it deploy and waiting 15 minutes plus. Also trying to find a bobber that floats up out on open water.

Tested the mavic today for the first time. First without the flots then with them on. They do not interfere with the bottom sensors in that I can see a change in height on the app. I have not tested the bottom camera for the landing pic it takes. Not sure how you can access that picture if at all. Hand caught no problem. Just reach up from underneath.

It was 15 degrees today so just a short first flight to check the camera. Looks good thus far. No soft edges. Flew next to a brick school building to check. Didn't see any jello effects while flying as well.

I brought the osmo plus to film as I flew. I was going to use Autoframe by autopilot on the osmo to track the drone. (Airspace app links the two) Neat app but after a few minutes in 15 degrees setting that up I handed the osmo to my nine year old to film. Got some great shots of clouds and evething else but the mavic. Lol

Second flight was with the floats. I did not see any changes in flight characteristics. Second flight was a bit more agreesive to see if the floats got in the camera shot which they did not. Total weight is about 1.75 ounces. Tested them by adding 2# of weight on them in water. they are a bit past half way up as they floated in water. They should displace around 3#. The mavic weights a pound and a half but given it has vents on it and a hard crash water will get in increasing the amount of weight you need to displace. The floats are a bit aft of center mass so I would think more often than not it will actually find itself upside down in the event of a hard landing. I did not put them on and try and float it. It would get wet and these are not landing floats. Just recovery.

It's my mavic Life jacket. It will get wet but will not sink down to Davy Jones's locker.

I painted the rear tip black and the rest neon orange plastic dip spray. This I think will help with orientation from a distance. Two orange dots it is facing me. Orange ringes with black centers camera facing away.

I will do some more tests to see if this decrease performance but in a short flight on heathy drones I lost a couple of minutes of battery but then again my second flight with these on was much more aggressive.

These are just piece of mind and a way to quickly recover the drone in case it drops like a brick from the sky. I keep a bottle of denatured alcohol over 95% to quickly displace the water (after removal of battery) since I fly mostly over fresh water it is possible to negate water damage. Saltwater no way. Instant loss but with DJI refresh no drone no chance.

View attachment 3813 View attachment 3815 View attachment 3814
I will be building my owns once my skids arrive. I fly almost 90% of the time over water and wouldnt want to get my bird to the bottom of the ocean.

You're a brave man, Matt. A 13 gallon tall kitchen bag is not the ideal Mavic condom, but I guess it'll work in a pinch...
I think I will fly with the wrapped platic bag for further protection ;)

;)

on my second attempt i put so poly on the front legs. made a wold of difference. Hard to see in the video (didn't want to get the iPhone wet) it dose just touch the bottom

I think just not touching the water isn't enough for real world usage. Real open waters aren't as calm as your kitchen sink. You need more clearance between the water and the Mavic's bottom, I think.

Few questions i have for the balls:

These go over the front antennas. Does that effect your range?
Do the Balls get in the way when filming? not just regular flying but when you are pushing it?
in the event of a drop from the sky be it a bird strike or mechanical failure will these stay together? i just can picture a couple of them flying off. Probably need two to float it.

Styrofoam should be inert to electromagnetic radiation, plus the balls are attached to the landing gear extension below them instead of to the antennas themselves. So they are not even in the way in horizontal direction, which is probably the most important regarding range.

I also think this and the other questions depend on the details of your own implementation of this idea. This isn't a finished product, and each version will be a little different. I also would consider trying to attach the rear balls to the arms instead of the body so they are as far out as possible, which could improve stability when floating. Adjust the ball's sizes according to weight distribution.

I will experiment with this when I get a new Mavic from DJI, I just sent my own one in because of a camera problem.

I think just not touching the water isn't enough for real world usage. Real open waters aren't as calm as your kitchen sink. You need more clearance between the water and the Mavic's bottom, I think.

Styrofoam should be inert to electromagnetic radiation, plus the balls are attached to the landing gear extension below them instead of to the antennas themselves. So they are not even in the way in horizontal direction, which is probably the most important regarding range.

I also think this and the other questions depend on the details of your own implementation of this idea. This isn't a finished product, and each version will be a little different. I also would consider trying to attach the rear balls to the arms instead of the body so they are as far out as possible, which could improve stability when floating. Adjust the ball's sizes according to weight distribution.

I will experiment with this when I get a new Mavic from DJI, I just sent my own one in because of a camera problem.

If you are referring to the Me the OP i think you missed the intent in its entirety. Hence the name of the thread is Mavic water recovery. Early on i termed the phase Mavic Life jacket. If one falls in the water you will get wet. Mavic cant swim. No Mavic no DJI Refresh. .., etc. I think i covered my intent so i will not belabor the point

Total agree everyone has different situation and interests. I have no use for water landing. On a pond or inland lake you can use the balls to land on water if that is your thing. Out on the open water i would think even the ball concept you will get water lapping up under near as it travels between the crest and trough of waves over 2ft which is most prevalent where i fly. Guess you could use the Kitchen bag then. :)

Good to know in regards to the poly over the antennas. Thank you.

some back on forth for sure on everyone thoughts and applications. everyone has a different purpose and intent. heck i bet there is someone that tucks his in at night! lol

Final version i think will incorporate a small float on the front landing gear. and the snug floats on the body to insure a flotation device that can withstand a fall from the sky. At a certain height hitting the water they say is equivalent to hitting concrete.

Hi, I just got registered only for one reason: To express my admiration. What a good idea! Seems this is the best solution for all of us who have dji care refresh....

Please keep us informed! Thanks from Vienna,

Philofun

Reactions: Jaylonious
I'm curious how the flight would be effected having all these contraptions strapped to the mavic. Also what about speed, battery life on top of the stability issues. It all looks good on paper (or in the kitchen sink) but wonder what the real world expectations can be. Great idea though. I would like to do something like that when I film surfing shots at the beach. Just don't want to see a gust of wind flip the Mavic over and have it fall right in the water even though it can now be "recovered"

I'm curious how the flight would be effected having all these contraptions strapped to the mavic. Also what about speed, battery life on top of the stability issues. It all looks good on paper (or in the kitchen sink) but wonder what the real world expectations can be. Great idea though. I would like to do something like that when I film surfing shots at the beach. Just don't want to see a gust of wind flip the Mavic over and have it fall right in the water even though it can now be "recovered"
Yes that needs to be fully looked at. I did make one quick flight and shared the battery data on the first page. It flew just fine but i would agree this was not a full test. It was 15 degree out!!

I can tell you though i had something similar on my P3. See below. I had many flights and pushed the drone pretty hard. These did weight much more and i think much more intrusive that the Mavic but given the layout of the Phantom that is what worked. I did see 5 to 10% loss in battery life with the phantom floats. About 4 minutes less of flight time. Hopping the Mavic ones does much better.

aaaaimage (1).jpeg

Link to P3 Floats
P3A Floats

Some video i took with the P3 floats on. Ealy video so hopefully i have gotten better at filming :)

Last edited:
Hi there! I'm new and still waiting for my Mavic to arrive in Berlin... try to inform myself about water recovery, since this might be the area where I might fly most. So I found this solution by a German company. I don't think it will be suitable for the Mavic since it weights 300g. Though it might be able to lift some kilos. Super expensive (390 Euro!). I assume it's meant for more professional and more expensive drones. Just thought you might be interested.
CopterGUARD - das innovative Rettungsystem für Drohnen
Best Norbert

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Made something similar for my P3. These are for recovery only. Made these for the mavic. I fly quite a bit over open water. Mostly launch from the Aft hardtop on the boat out on the Great Lakes. Similar to the getrback concept but you don't have to worry about the depth of the water, will it deploy and waiting 15 minutes plus. Also trying to find a bobber that floats up out on open water.

Tested the mavic today for the first time. First without the flots then with them on. They do not interfere with the bottom sensors in that I can see a change in height on the app. I have not tested the bottom camera for the landing pic it takes. Not sure how you can access that picture if at all. Hand caught no problem. Just reach up from underneath.

It was 15 degrees today so just a short first flight to check the camera. Looks good thus far. No soft edges. Flew next to a brick school building to check. Didn't see any jello effects while flying as well.

I brought the osmo plus to film as I flew. I was going to use Autoframe by autopilot on the osmo to track the drone. (Airspace app links the two) Neat app but after a few minutes in 15 degrees setting that up I handed the osmo to my nine year old to film. Got some great shots of clouds and evething else but the mavic. Lol

Second flight was with the floats. I did not see any changes in flight characteristics. Second flight was a bit more agreesive to see if the floats got in the camera shot which they did not. Total weight is about 1.75 ounces. Tested them by adding 2# of weight on them in water. they are a bit past half way up as they floated in water. They should displace around 3#. The mavic weights a pound and a half but given it has vents on it and a hard crash water will get in increasing the amount of weight you need to displace. The floats are a bit aft of center mass so I would think more often than not it will actually find itself upside down in the event of a hard landing. I did not put them on and try and float it. It would get wet and these are not landing floats. Just recovery.

It's my mavic Life jacket. It will get wet but will not sink down to Davy Jones's locker.

I painted the rear tip black and the rest neon orange plastic dip spray. This I think will help with orientation from a distance. Two orange dots it is facing me. Orange ringes with black centers camera facing away.

I will do some more tests to see if this decrease performance but in a short flight on heathy drones I lost a couple of minutes of battery but then again my second flight with these on was much more aggressive.

These are just piece of mind and a way to quickly recover the drone in case it drops like a brick from the sky. I keep a bottle of denatured alcohol over 95% to quickly displace the water (after removal of battery) since I fly mostly over fresh water it is possible to negate water damage. Saltwater no way. Instant loss but with DJI refresh no drone no chance.

View attachment 3813 View attachment 3815 View attachment 3814

I found this online and don't know much about it but it was something along the lines I wanted in case I lost my drone in water for insurance reasons. I believe it's www.water-buoy.net

I found this online and don't know much about it but it was something along the lines I wanted in case I lost my drone in water for insurance reasons. I believe it's www.water-buoy.net

Yes it's been discussed in several threads and one guy even did a video to debunk the idea that it would work with a Mavic. Long story short is that it inflates too deep down in the water and therefore Gas in the Balloon ends up only inflating it to about half the size it supposed to be. End result is that it cannot lift the Mavic. Maybe if you had three of them on your mavic it might work.

Reactions: SLLee
So this is how it sets up.

This site has been a wealth of information for my set up. Thank you everyone for your contributions. This setup is why i switched from the Phantom. In this backpack i have the Following:

Osmo Plus
Mini tripods
Mophie battery packs
SD card and readers
GoPro and accessories
all the charge cords
All the Mavic Stuff.., etc
Plus the back part holds a Laptop

So when i travel or in the summer head out on the Boat for the weekend it all fits! That reminds me i need to finalize that State farm personal articals policy

in the video below i show how all this goes together. Another quick video 2X speed. oh also the top compartment in that bag the ipad can sit as a sun screen. i went with the Dirty jay or what ever its called ipad mount due to its portability. not as study as the Mav mount but 10x more portable. as you can see in the video you can put it together backwards. Lol. when its all together its pretty comfortable. i have one more thing coming and that is the small individual hard case for the mavic and remote. its just like the osmo case you see me pulling out of the bag. Got that idea from the Bag/case thread.Again thk's everyone for all the great ideas. Maybe i will get those mini strobes and mount them on the pontoons?

I can follow up maybe this weekend with some video in the air with the Mavic Life Jacket if anyone is interested.

As many know or can guess from my name, I live on a lake and often fly from my boat or just over the lake. Would you (or anyone else) be interested in making these to sell to a fellow Mavic Pro user? I know any reasonable person could fairly easily make these, but I suffered a severe bicycle wreck 18 years ago that basically separated my arm from my shoulder. Luckily, I can still use my arm, but I havve pretty limited internal and external rotation AND nerve damage (mostly from the surgery) makes my right hand jiggle too much to use detailed small tools. Fortunately, all the Aviation Medical Examiners I've seen since then thought it wouldn't interfere enough and I've always been able to pass for my 3rd class med cert for general aviation every 24 months. Haven't been able to golf in 18 years though--really miss THAT frustration. :(

IMG_1009.jpg
She's a beauty​

Reactions: RAFALE
Lake Travis

I have a fellow boating buddy that relocated down your way. Last time we spoke there was not much water left in the lakes down there but I think that changed for the better last I spoke.

No I don't mind making another set just that I would have to order some more stuff. Out of one pool noodle you can get about 3 sets and one can of orange blaze plastic dip should do 3. Also one roll of Velcro. Given I was experimenting I used up most of it so I would need to order up some more stuff. Looks like the cheapest way would be to make 3 sets. Not sure if there would be any interest.

Reactions: PrticulrJustice
Lake Travis

I have a fellow boating buddy that relocated down your way. Last time we spoke there was not much water left in the lakes down there but I think that changed for the better last I spoke.

No I don't mind making another set just that I would have to order some more stuff. Out of one pool noodle you can get about 3 sets and one can of orange blaze plastic dip should do 3. Also one roll of Velcro. Given I was experimenting I used up most of it so I would need to order up some more stuff. Looks like the cheapest way would be to make 3 sets. Not sure if there would be any interest.

Well, I have a buddy who always wants whatever accessories I buy so I always buy two--how much would it be for everything if we took all three. There's another couple of neighbors who have Mavics, one would probably take one, or we could just keep it as a spare.

And the lake has been full for at least 8 months now, thank the rain gods!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998