DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic water recovery system

Matt after reading some of the emails I feel I might have been too rough on you. As I have said and someone reminded me, your system is workable as a water landing and takeoff system.

This thread started out as a discussion on the Getterback as a crash recovery system. I guess I have mistakenly taken your flotation system in the thread as an extension of that idea when in fact you might not have intended it to be a crash recovery system but one designed for controlled landing recoveries.

So I apologize since your intent was not to make a device intended to withstand crashes into the water. I suggest you remake a thread that involves water landing and take off's.

And yes I would love to see someone CSC from 400ft, I am not willing to pay the bill but that would make a fantastic video.

I can except that and belabor it not. My son and I had fun today trying to break it.

Urbo. Never said it was pretty. Think my second post indicted that. To deep in the Great Lakes to dive for it.

Again it reached my goals and looking forward to others ideas. It's a fine balance to which who knows if someone will make something that makes all happy.

It would make a great video definitely!!!

Probably would look like this. (P3A RIP) link below. Never found that one and was prior to DJI Refresh and had no floats. We even looked for it with the side-scan.

Video by mjkkemper

Last edited:
I'm very interested in Matt's designs, and plan to start from those in the near future. I do agree that I am uncertain as to how well the system would hold up if the drone drops like a rock from 400 feet. But then again, I don't think that either the "buoy system" or the "getterback system" is going to work at that point too, as they will probably blow off at that impact too. In fact, your whole drone might be in pieces from that kind of impact.
I'm doing it hoping that I'm flying low enough, or that there is still some power keeping it in a slow decent. Since most of the lakes that I will be flying over well exceed the 100' of the getterback or the ability for buoy to work, those are out of the question for me anyways.

Reactions: wolfmad
If you going to build one please attach it to something the weight and size of the Mavic and throw it high up into the air over a pool and watch what happens when it hits the water.

Have you ever actually played around with one of those foam pool noodles? Those things are tough! I've watched my nephews whacking the pool deck with them as hard as they can, repeatedly, with no apparent damage to the foam cylinder (or the pool deck). Lest you think these are wimpy kids, they're in their mid-20's and one is a semi-pro athlete. They really tried to destroy those things.

So, I did what you suggested. I zip-tied a bit of coconut tree weighing around 750 grams to 2 pieces of pool noodle each about 40 cm long (1/4 of a noodle). I then went up on the 3rd-floor terrace overlooking the pool and tossed this as high as I could.

I watched what happened when it hit the water. It made a small splash and got wet. There was some evidence that the zip-tie may have dug slightly deeper into the noodle than pre-flight, but that was certainly not unambiguous damage.

What happened when you did this?

All I need something like this to do is allow me to recover enough of my drone if it crashes while filming the reef to send it off for "repair". In order to do that, it needs to keep the remains of the drone at the surface and be visible. I don't have doubts that pool noodles would remain intact on impact. What I'm uncertain about is whether there's a retention system that'll keep them in place during a water impact and whether there's a practical way to mount them that won't interfere with flight, sensors, or imaging.

I have a P3 in the inter coastal down there in Venice Flordia. Lol that's why I came up with the floats on the P3 and working on some for the mavic
We live in Venice, FL... I was going to hit Manasota, maybe Venice Beach to try and get some nice shots. Have you tried at flying any of the local beaches - any suggestions?? My profile pic is a red tailed hawk in park off of River Rd. near the Myakka River (no animals were hurt in the filming! lol)

The shaky video my son took was of the boat just up bound from snake island. I did take it to the beach. Not Venice beach but north of nokomis beach on casey key away from any crowd. We also enjoy beaching it on snake island. I flew it around snake island. No one bothered me but I did not fly it over anyone's heads just over the water.

There is a few tips I can share on how to cut the foam.

A fine serrated knife works best. I had one that came with a Halloween pumpkin carving kit that worked well.

To get were I cut smooth again like before I cut it I used a heat gun. This melted it and smoothed it.

With any noodle system make sure it is form fitting and can't move if you are tucking it up under the arms. If it gets in the way of the props then disaster I would think. I cut that horizontal channel in there in hopes of having a nice snug fit.

I am still working on the 3D printed cradle approach as well. I did see the other post were they printed out Nola's design and had a successful water landing. Personally not going to land it on water on purpose. I like how that setup gives you clearance. Couple draw back though. Pretty sure they will get in the camera view and you do have a weak spot were they clip on the cradle. Might break there.

I was going to just ride off on the sunset in that OP Set has severed me well and I have no interest other than my own benifit. So with that said I hope can converse and see if we can optimize for the benifit of all

Last edited:
WOW - WHAT HAPPENED TODAY????
I did already several flight with the floats (see my post above) and it was fine - no incidents, normal flight behavior etc. BUT today I flew over a lake, wind was strong, but max. 10m/s. Again everything went fine - switched to Sport Mode several times. When I came back to the shore I noticed, that my floats were GONE!! Friends spottet them not far away and due to the wind I could recover them from the water. See photos enclosed.

Now I really don't know what happened. The video gives me an indication, that it happened in about 20m height when I made a turn, but the AC was slow then (not in Sport Mode, not full throttle...). I could recognize about 3 times within 3 sec that the video and camera were shaking - then everything back to normal, despite the dented prop - so that must have been when the flowts fell down into the water.

My first idea, when I recovered them was, that the velcro opened - but it did not. The strap was cut or broke. I have no idea how this could have happened, since a) I tried to rip apart another one of these straps - not possible. b) the strap is out of reach for the rear left propeller (the one with the cuts) and all the other propellers are undamaged. Though it's a little suspicious, that the strap was ripped apart at the exact position, where it is "glued" together to hold the plastic ring...

How did this happen? I have no idea - but lost my confidence in this construction... I'll get a Getterback...
If you have any ideas of what could have happened, I would be very much interested in your opinion!!

So while I was building a new set last weekend, I might have found a possible reason for the failure of the first design: The day of the accident I was flying some time in high wind, in sport mode as well. This and the down wash from the props might have lead to loosening the noodles so that they moved DOWN! Because there is nothing holding them up, except the strap. But if you push them down, the strap will loose up, since the diameter is smaller than with the mavic body in the middle. Next, the whole thing tangles more of less free around the mavic body, can get to the props and this is where the strap might have been cut and all went down - which again would have been great luck, otherwise more props could have been cut and then...

So for my new temporary design in order to prevent this, I put a wooden stick through the noodles plus through the rear bottom plastic holes, without obstracting the sensor... next test is up.

Reactions: Matt
So while I was building a new set last weekend, I might have found a possible reason for the failure of the first design: The day of the accident I was flying some time in high wind, in sport mode as well. This and the down wash from the props might have lead to loosening the noodles so that they moved DOWN! Because there is nothing holding them up, except the strap. But if you push them down, the strap will loose up, since the diameter is smaller than with the mavic body in the middle. Next, the whole thing tangles more of less free around the mavic body, can get to the props and this is where the strap might have been cut and all went down - which again would have been great luck, otherwise more props could have been cut and then...

So for my new temporary design in order to prevent this, I put a wooden stick through the noodles plus through the rear bottom plastic holes, without obstracting the sensor... next test is up.
Makes sense. Not sure if this helps but I have that horizontal cutout that makes like a cradle in the noodle. When I strap it on I pull down on the lower strap. This compresses the noodle into the cut out. I then overlap the top of the Velcro. I do not worry about catching the first inch so that I can continue holdind down in compression. After I attach the Velcro it's very snug.

I can though see that issue as you described. Everything has a weak point.

Makes sense. Not sure if this helps but I have that horizontal cutout that makes like a cradle in the noodle. When I strap it on I pull down on the lower strap. This compresses the noodle into the cut out. I then overlap the top of the Velcro. I do not worry about catching the first inch so that I can continue holdind down in compression. After I attach the Velcro it's very snug.

I can though see that issue as you described. Everything has a weak point.

First post..bear with me.

I read the entire thread and I love the idea. I also have some doubts about the ability of the design to survive an impact from a decent height. Not saying it will fail, just saying it'd be nice to have it tested.

I fly over a lot of water and that's what brought me here.

Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to just drop an analog off a bridge somewhere and ideally have someone in position to pick up the remains? Also, I think the answer to any of it may even be simpler, affix a strong lanyard to one or both of the floats. If the floats are shorn off the body in a crash, the lanyard will keep the remains affixed to the floats. Sorta like mixing the getterback and pool floats ideas.

Matt - u-da-man! looks like that one motor may have gotten wet at first. I'm most interested in just saving my Mavic if something happens and it ends up in the lake. However, if something this simple would also allow landing on the water in a pinch . . . that's the bomb.

My only problem is the Getterback sometimes doesn't deploy, or takes 6-10 min to do so. I have 2 of them to increase my odds, but a smallish system that actually saves the Mavic from water is the ultimate option. - hutch

View attachment 6726 View attachment 6727 View attachment 6728 View attachment 6729 Well I made it down to Florida and my brother did print a set of Noel's pool noodle attachments I have not flown with them on yet. Few things I have noticed. They bow a bit from the mavic weight when sitting. Also there is a bit of play in them at the attachment point between the cradle and noodle attachments. They do keep it floating about a inch or so above the water in the sink test. Much less then the balls. I would say the balls have a much better clearance in this respect. The cradle fits very well and is snug. I noticed though the back landing gear have fallen off for some so as is in a crash it would stand a good chance that it would get ripped off. To fix this a strap similar to the ones I made would fix that issue. The mavic is heavier in front so I had to slide the pool noodle up and this may get in the camera shot.

Once I test a bit I will post. Might even get brave and try landing it in the pool

Great idea and looks like it would be stable in calm water, but I suspect the front of the floats are in the camera view. - hutch

Hey Matt - are those 3" or the standard 2.5". I am going to make some and wondering which size to buy. - hutch

Black one is close to 3"
Workoutz 60 Inch Solid Pool Noodle (1 Qty) Commercial Quality Aquatic Float Made In USA (BLACK NOODLE) Amazon.com : Workoutz 60 Inch Solid Pool Noodle (1 Qty) Commercial Quality Aquatic Float Made In USA (BLACK NOODLE) : Sports & Outdoors

Red one is slightly smaller at 2-3/4.

Water Noodle Swim Pool Noodle Solid Core Swim Noodle Kids Crafts Therapy Noodles | eBay

If you are going to paint it with the orange plastic dip you will need the red noodle. You will never get the black one to cover. The black noodle is a bit more rugged then the red

Great idea and looks like it would be stable in calm water, but I suspect the front of the floats are in the camera view. - hutch
Yes I think you would be correct. When the weather breaks I will try that out but I don't trust the attachment points. There is a thread on here where some one printed them out and used blue noodles. Perhaps they can answer that question. I as well just want some that keeps it a float - not to land on water

Of course. Its ABS plastic 1/8" thick. the rear strut has a round grommet on it. (outside of the Noodle) this is chemically welded. the mid strut the strap keeps it in place. I did add a clip or piece of plastic that goes into the grove between the two sensors. this helps in any forward and aft movement. ABS plastic chemical welding is easy. all you need is some acetone and pieces of the plastic. mix them together. the acetone melts the plastic and makes a goop. you then use this as a glue. after it solidifies you have a chemical weld. I thought about carbon fiber which would reduce weight. Just did not have any and went with the plastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marco Cantieni
After using the styrofoam balls for the last 10 flights over water I find this solution a bit bulky and too wind sensitive. This drove me to check out Matts solution with the swim noodles. After 2h of work here is the result:
IMG_5915.jpg IMG_5916.jpg IMG_5917.jpg IMG_5918.jpg IMG_5919.jpg IMG_5920.JPG

Conclusion:
+ compact design, fits in my Mavic bag
+ easy and quick mount
+ light wheight (60 grams vs. 100 grams styrofoam balls)
+ much less wind sensitive than the styrofoam balls
+ all sensors continue to be fully functional
+ less ridiculous look vs. the styrofoam balls
+ able to keep Mavic on the water surface (tested)

- landing on water will Mavic definitely catch water, because of compact design. Designed to keep Mavic on the surface only not turning Mavic into a RC boat.
- battery change requires to loose the strap

Check the video below where I did floating- and flying tests. Thanks to Matt for the neat idea Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: Merlin23 and Matt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne