DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavmount alternative

IMO it's to each his own. I have an iPad Air 2 and decided it was just not going to work for me with the Mavic. Although I have not gotten my Mavic yet I can see that the weight and balancing of it so far above the controller is not going to allow for smooth controller action over a 20 minute period. I am also unapologetic in saying I would like to see the mavic remotes screen and the buttons. Also If the tablet/phone software goes haywire I don't want to be trying to move a tablet to see whats really happening. Another thing that worries me is that the metal back of the tablet is reflecting the signal towards the ground and also you better not have your back to the aircraft when it's out at any great distance as a lot of the signal is blocked by the tablet.

After looking around at options I settled on buying an Iphone 6 Plus 64GB on eBay. Its an older model with 5.5" screen that will properly fit in the holders, it has a 1080P screen which matches the Mavics video. The unit will be dedicated so I can just flip my Sim in it or tether it to my regular phone and feel safe knowing that the only Apps on it will be for the Mavic. My Ipad is cluttered with apps LOL. Lastly the iPhone 6 Plus was known for having very good battery life so that will be great when using it with the Mavic.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: RXY70
IMO it's to each his own. I have an iPad Air 2 and decided it was just not going to work for me with the Mavic. Although I have not gotten my Mavic yet I can see that the weight and balancing of it so far above the controller is not going to allow for smooth controller action over a 20 minute period. I am also unapologetic in saying I would like to see the mavic remotes screen and the buttons. Also If the tablet/phone software goes haywire I don't want to be trying to move a tablet to see whats really happening. Another thing that worries me is that the metal back of the tablet is reflecting the signal towards the ground and also you better not have your back to the aircraft when it's out at any great distance as a lot of the signal is blocked by the tablet.

After looking around at options I settled on buying an Iphone 6 Plus 64GB on eBay. Its an older model with 5.5" screen that will properly fit in the holders, it has a 1080P screen which matches the Mavics video. The unit will be dedicated so I can just flip my Sim in it or tether it to my regular phone and feel safe knowing that the only Apps on it will be for the Mavic. My Ipad is cluttered with apps LOL. Lastly the iPhone 6 Plus was known for having very good battery life so that will be great when using it with the Mavic.

Rob

Yes you are right....to each their own. I also have an iPhone 6+ that I use when I take the Mavic out into mountain wilderness and I works great but when I fly from home, park, etc that is easily accessible I prefer a larger screen because I can setup better video shots and really see things. The balance with the 9.7 iPad is great with this mount. I will fly multiple batteries flights and my arms don't get fatigued...probably because I am having so much fun...and I have never experienced signal loss. I just like having different options for different flight conditions. For $17 and the ability to use a full size iPad if I need/want to made it an easy decision for me.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Rob
One of the reasons I went with the iPad is because the iPhone 6+ has crummy battery life with DJI go & GO4, several threads about it, seems to suck the battery dry very fast. Some reporting that they barely got a full flight in, I managed 3 batteries but with a dead phone at the end. The iPad doesn't seem to share that issue.

Yes you are right....to each their own. I also have an iPhone 6+ that I use when I take the Mavic out into mountain wilderness and I works great but when I fly from home, park, etc that is easily accessible I prefer a larger screen because I can setup better video shots and really see things. The balance with the 9.7 iPad is great with this mount. I will fly multiple batteries flights and my arms don't get fatigued...probably because I am having so much fun...and I have never experienced signal loss. I just like having different options for different flight conditions. For $17 and the ability to use a full size iPad if I need/want to made it an easy decision for me.

I agree, love the Air2 for its screen real estate, it's not heavy and my mount is balanced well, I added a ring to the ball mount so if I want I can attach my neck strap to mitigate even that small weight. I tried the tablet in the low position, worked OK but wasn't right for me, probably because I am just so used to flying my P3 with the same configuration, new fliers just have to figure whats best for them. When I travel by M/c it will be with the OEM small footprint configuration and my phone.

I will probably just spend the money and get one at some point to test it with Air2. I have no doubt that it allows for better filming and a much better view. For now If everything works out I expect most of my flights will involve me driving and then climbing to some hill top, so weight and size is very important to me.

One of the reasons I went with the iPad is because the iPhone 6+ has crummy battery life with DJI go & GO4, several threads about it, seems to suck the battery dry very fast. Some reporting that they barely got a full flight in, I managed 3 batteries but with a dead phone at the end. The iPad doesn't seem to share that issue.

Hmm I wonder why? Most people say the 6 has bad battery life but the 6+ has fantastic battery life.
Some of the VBlog guys say they use the 6+ all day and still have 40% battery life left. I wonder if the guys having this issue have never done a reboot of their phones. I know my 5S sometimes gets into a mode where after 12 hours it's down to 10% power left. It happens about once or twice a year due to some app being stuck in memory and the app using the Wifi or BT all day.
I do a reboot and the phone goes back to running 18 hours with 40% battery power left. When it was new it would have about 60% after a full day of work.

Here's my little contraption. I only have an iPad Pro 12.9 screen so here is what I came up with.
img_0097-jpg.4127

I think you are too young to be playing with such expensive and dangerous toys... put that away before your parents see you!

Reactions: jerryflah
Hmm I wonder why? Most people say the 6 has bad battery life but the 6+ has fantastic battery life.
Some of the VBlog guys say they use the 6+ all day and still have 40% battery life left. I wonder if the guys having this issue have never done a reboot of their phones. I know my 5S sometimes gets into a mode where after 12 hours it's down to 10% power left. It happens about once or twice a year due to some app being stuck in memory and the app using the Wifi or BT all day.
I do a reboot and the phone goes back to running 18 hours with 40% battery power left. When it was new it would have about 60% after a full day of work.
When NOT running the DJI GO4 app my 6+ lasts me up to 3 days on a charge, but I am thinking there is a battery leak in the app that only affects the 6 series phones as the 5S isn't affected. I use hardware decoding and even tried turning off video caching but still get a dead phone from 100% to 10% in 3 batteries. My iPad Air2 will fly 4 full batteries and still be at 50%. I will state that my phone is 2 years old and the battery might be less that 100%, but battery diagnostics say's it is fine.

This is another solution that allows easy access to the RC.

DJI Mavic 9-10" Tablet adapter

Bought this a few days ago and finally got it out into the field today. I have to say it worked really well. I used a neck strap and it balanced out really nicely. Doesn't add much weight since it's TPU and carbon fiber and packs up really small. Just need to get a hood for the ipad since the screen can be a bit glarey in sunlight.

Bought this a few days ago and finally got it out into the field today. I have to say it worked really well. I used a neck strap and it balanced out really nicely. Doesn't add much weight since it's TPU and carbon fiber and packs up really small. Just need to get a hood for the ipad since the screen can be a bit glarey in sunlight.
Still waiting for mine. Do you know what kind of sun hood is compatible?

Does this one honestly feel like it's going to hold up with light use with an iPad Air?

I also want a mount that supports a neck strap and this seems perfect, but I hear complaints about it being plastic in this thread from the MavMount lovers. I like being able to confidently take all hands off the controller and let it hang while I hand catch.

I'm debating between this one and rolling my own with a ball mount and tablet holder.

As long as it's functional and is not going to break with my iPad Air attached to it, I could care less if it's plastic.

Last edited:
Does this one honestly feel like it's going to hold up with light use with an iPad Air?

I also want a mount that supports a neck strap. I like being able to confidently take all hands off the controller and let it hang while I hand catch.

I'm debating between this one and rolling my own with a ball mount and tablet holder.

As long as it's functional and is not going to break with my iPad Air attached to it, I could care less if it's plastic.

Yeah it's actually really secure. It uses high grade rubber bands to clamp the iPad. You can adjust the tension by adding or removing bands. I found 3 to be the best strength.

I had it out today and setup the controller and iPad first. Then wore it with the neck strap while setting the Mavic up. Worked great and I felt totally secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4780eaa13d9ca6018916847dfd1976f2.jpg
99f32bc7d340fd94b7d2989f15261182.jpg
2d4f4a8e66d0fd3db020361a88a758bf.jpg
776a97cb4ef06d96ad66602755173d6d.jpg

I just pieced together my Ipad mini mount. I am happy with the ballance and feel of the mount. Thanks to Healeyho for the inspiration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Healeyho
Last edited:
Reactions: RobP62
4780eaa13d9ca6018916847dfd1976f2.jpg
99f32bc7d340fd94b7d2989f15261182.jpg
2d4f4a8e66d0fd3db020361a88a758bf.jpg
776a97cb4ef06d96ad66602755173d6d.jpg

I just pieced together my Ipad mini mount. I am happy with the ballance and feel of the mount. Thanks to Healeyho for the inspiration.

Looks great! Exactly what I was going to do...except without the "bump" at the bottom-middle of plexiglass, where your cold shoe mount is. Why is it like that? My guess is balance. Will it not work if you made it flat...so that your plexiglass is a rectangular shape?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead