DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Miami News Station Chopper Encounters Drone!

Drone Master

Rest In Peace, Fellow Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
News handled it well, but what would we equate this to in real life ?

At some point the FAA has to decide on a Penalty system
that is with in reason to the Crime being committed.

At this point they seem to be winging it for every unfortunate event.

I would like to see a $$$ fine for first warning.
Second warning a Fine and a 1 Year Suspension
Third warning Fine , Suspension and Jail time.

My only way to negotiate this in my mind is to compare it to a DUI driving on the wrong side of the Highway.
DUI clients get a lot of chances before they are even stopped .

What do most think the Penalty should be for 400 ft above and basically Drunk in the sky ??
By {DRUNK } I mean clueless and unaware .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain / Snow

What do most think the Penalty should be for 400 ft above and basically Drunk in the sky ??
By {DRUNK } I mean clueless and unaware .

Definitely a new pilot (although this is no excuse) with those stupid legs on (note rubber feet on rear legs and slots in front).
1613631945592.png

10,000 usd fine and confiscation of all the drone equipment for first offense.
They could have caused a catastrophic accident.

Last edited:
I don't like the fact that the article erroneously states that "A drone also cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport without permission."
Plus they have no idea if they did have permission.

Blaming the drone for the same reason they were drawn to accident.

Reactions: JackL
Funny, when the drone noticed the helicopter he left the scene but the helicopter pilot decided to follow it? Putting himself in danger? When the average Joe listens to the news they will take everything for granted and will not double check the regs, making all of us look bad. I have a bad feeling that eventually all drones (except the amazonians) will be forbidden in the air. I hope I will be proven wrong. :(

Last edited:
And again not dismissing the airspace violation and reported close proximity, but at what point did the reported click bait/exaggeration of "Dodging" a drone occur? Pilot states he was hovering and gave chase? Not even going to discuss the pilot and the routinely flying at 140MPH :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I guarantee you they were at or above 800'....I know the pilot and the photographer....and I used to fly that helicopter!!!! Stop trying to defend idiot's!!
Bro I have shot pictures of Ralph Raburn so clear you can see his dental work. The chopper definitely goes lower than 800' on occasions.

Funny, when the drone noticed the helicopter he left the scene but the helicopter pilot decided to follow it? Putting himself in danger? When the average Joe listens to the news they will take everything for granted and will not double check the regs, making all of us look bad. I have a bad feeling that eventually all drones (except the amazonians) will be forbidden in the air. I hope I will be proven wrong. :(
He didn't follow it...the zoom on that cineflex camera is friggin unbelievable!!.....the FAA is making rules so we can stay in the air.....if they let the cities and local governments take charge, then we would all be grounded

Look up the radar and tower to Pilot recordings at Tamiami Airport....it will tell you everything

And again not dismissing the airspace violation and reported close proximity, but at what point did the reported click bait/exaggeration of "Dodging" a drone occur? Pilot states he was hovering and gave chase? Not even going to discuss the pilot and the routinely flying at 140MPH :rolleyes:
Dodging is News Stations dramatics....I'm curious about what you mean by "you won't discuss the Pilot and routinely flying at 140mph"?

Another claim. Still no proof.
What we do know is at some point the chopper was going 140MPH at 100' altitude over South Florida. I know this really happens from experience since it has blown over my house at that speed and altitude in the past.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev