DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro SD U1 or U3?

I definitely inserted it correctly and then I could not get it to release to come back out. A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen. He thinks it's because they were counterfeit SD cards purchase of the internet on Amazon.

yea that could definitely be the problem, ive seen a good amount of fakes coming from amazon. My tip is to price match and buy them from a local store like best buy then you know you have legit cards

Reactions: Marine0302G2/8
I found a couple of charts on internet and put them together so we can compare all the necessary specs.

sdcardspecs.jpg

Reactions: grey_wolf
The SanDisk 128 that Got stuck in Mavic 1; That popped out after my crash. Works perfectly in Mavic2 inserts and ejects with no problem.I wonder if the dimensional tolerance of the disk opening on Mavic 1 was just slightly (rch) tighter?

The SanDisk 128 that Got stuck in Mavic 1; That popped out after my crash. Works perfectly in Mavic2 inserts and ejects with no problem.I wonder if the dimensional tolerance of the disk opening on Mavic 1 was just slightly (rch) tighter?

Maybe, because I measured the dimensions of the SanDisk and the Panasonic that came with the Mavic and it exactly the same.

Maybe, because I measured the dimensions of the SanDisk and the Panasonic that came with the Mavic and it exactly the same.
Did you use callipers for that measurement? Just asking because the variation will be very small. Not measurable with a ruler. In any case I'm glad that it is working now. That was a $67.00 sd card.

Did you use callipers for that measurement? Just asking because the variation will be very small. Not measurable with a ruler. In any case I'm glad that it is working now. That was a $67.00 sd card.

To be honest I didn't use any callipers, I've just put them together and I didn't see any difference side by side and the one on top of the other. Tomorrow I'm gonna take some micro photos from them.

Thanks a lot guys for the help. I just bought the Sandisk extreme 64gb V30.
1c8ff77970d695edcb2fa6e03d6cc0c5.jpeg
I use this card in the 32GB size. I have 10 of them, I use 2 a day. I try to fly M-F and upload on Sa & Su. These cards are fine and have way enough speed. The max. video bitrate of the Mavic is 60 Mbit/s. 60Mbit/s equates to ~7.5MByte/s and any class 10 card would do that. I've been told the reality is that a card that is at least U3 would work better for 4K. Here is a statement I read and agree with, "I don't believe in using anything larger than 32GB, and usually 16GB is enough. I typically swap the memory when I change batteries. Why send valuable footage back into the air, when there is a risk of loss? The only arguement for a large card is if you are taking one long video, and it needs to the space for that huge, monolithic file. And, I don't really do that. I stop and start recording often, and the files are small. They don't all need to be on one big card. It's not even possible to fill a 16GB card on a single flight with the Mavic, even at the highest resolution. This is why it comes with a 16GB card."

I see your point. I, however, live by the philosophy:"It is better to have it and not to need it. Than to need and not to have it. I do think that if and when I start trying to edit video I will appreciate shorter more manageable clips. Right now I don't really fly with a purpose other than getting familiar with all the flight modes and just having fun. I have tried editing some video and shorter clips are much easier to manage. Have fun & fly safely.

Reactions: dsmpampis
I see your point. I, however, live by the philosophy:"It is better to have and not to need it than to need and not to have it. I do think that if and when I start trying to edit video I will appreciate shorter more manageable clips. Right now I don't really fly with a purpose other than getting familiar with all the flight modes and just having fun. I have tried editing some video and shorter clips are much easier to manage. Have fun & fly safely.

Is your comment to a particular person?

To you: TekSone. or anybody
ok, wanted to make sure before I responded.

I like that philosophy as well. I chose 32GB instead of 16GB. I hope you didn't think I was saying that I bought 16GB cards. Here is why I agree...from what I understand 25 mins of 4K video will fill a 16GB card to 75% or better, a 16GB card will hold more 4K video than you can capture in a single flight. So if I swap each flight that's all I need. The OP wanted to know our opinion on the cards he asked about. I was only stating what card I use and what I do when flying, not necessarily telling someone what to do. With a 32GB card I can swap with every battery change. I fly my batts down to 30% so I get about a good 20 min flight on a card. You can record about 2 minutes of 4K video per 1 GB of memory, so my 20 min flights usually use up about 10GB of card space. If I forget to swap and send the card back into the air I still have more than enough space on it.

Reactions: Marine0302G2/8
ok, wanted to make sure before I responded.

I like that philosophy as well. I chose 32GB instead of 16GB. I hope you didn't think I was saying that I bought 16GB cards. Here is why I agree...from what I understand 25 mins of 4K video will fill a 16GB card to 75% or better, a 16GB card will hold more 4K video than you can capture in a single flight. So if I swap each flight that's all I need. The OP wanted to know our opinion on the cards he asked about. I was only stating what card I use and what I do when flying, not necessarily telling someone what to do. With a 32GB card I can swap with every battery change. I fly my batts down to 30% so I get about a good 20 min flight on a card. You can record about 2 minutes of 4K video per 1 GB of memory, so my 20 min flights usually use up about 10GB of card space. If I forget to swap and send the card back into the air I still have more than enough space on it.
It's all good I appreciated any and all knowledge you can give me. I just tend to forget to swap out cards after flights and or save what is on them to my computer. Plus I normally use 3 to 4 batteries when I go fly and for now find it easier to use128GB. Please, anytime you see my comment feel free to offer an opinion or knowledge.

It's all good I appreciated any and all knowledge you can give me. I just tend to forget to swap out cards after flights and or save what is on them to my computer. Plus I normally use 3 to 4 batteries when I go fly and for now find it easier to use128GB. Please, anytime you see my comment feel free to offer an opinion or knowledge.

Of course. Where ever I can help I will try. Just keep this in mind:
Lost/stolen Mavic means multiple batteries worth of footage gone.
Corrupted card means multiple batteries worth of footage gone.

I just fear loosing footage. Not that I've ever had a card get corrupted but there are stories out there. I haven't lost a drone but there are stories. I hope this never happens to anyone. I also know fear is a good thing, keeps me from doing something stupid or dangerous.

Happy flying!

No one Sandisk work with my Mavic. Tested few of them in different configurations (ultra, extreme, U1, U3, 16G, 32G, 64G...). I'm not alone with that problem according to forums. Tried re-formation, re-partitioning - won't help.
Consider Kingston SDCA3 series - fastest, cheapest (here in Finland), reliable. I ordered another 2 of SDCA3/64GB for 35eur each.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52