DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 FCC versus CE range. Does it matter?

NewbieNewbie

Reactions
Hi to all the experienced members

May I ask if they agree with the following:

If the maximum distance flown on a youtube video with the Mini 2 was 5.5km away and then 5.5 km return to home (barely, with the battery critical), thus a total of 11 km flight before a flight battery, then can we make a deduction that, practically speaking, it does not matter if one buys the FCC version (10 km range) or the CE versions (6km range) because the battery will only allow a total distance of 11km?

Therefore whether the range is 10km or 6km, it makes no difference because the maximum is 5.5km away and 5.5km back home.

I only ask this question because then one no longer needs to look for an FCC booster or try to buy the FCC version via various methods and techniques when based in a European country.

Does the experienced members agree? (This in the context of living on a massive farm/private property where intruders may enter).

Thank you again

There isn’t a separate CE and FCC version, just the one. The mode the drone needs to be in (CE/FCC) is determined by the location of the drone (via gps) at the point of take off. So, you can buy a Mini2 anywhere in Europe and it will fly CE mode in the EU, but if you go travelling to the US it will switch to FCC.

With regard to your other point - absolutely. The range issue is irrelevant if you only have sufficient power to fly 5.5km out. That said, there are other factors to take into consideration that will change the maximum distance a battery can be used on every flight, such as wind and temperature - so, it’s never going to be the same.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Also, does not really matter as 5.5km is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...<gasp for air>....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAY beyond VLOS. So how far you can fly is really not relivent in the lest IMHO.

Thank you

Lastrexking and​

spsphotos

Can we then make the deduction that if the farm is so vast that we need the drone to be able to reach an 8km radius and then 8km back home, it would not make sense to purchase the Mini 2, but rather purchase something like the FIMI X8 SE which youtube videos have shown can reach 8.5km away and then return back home the other 8.5km (17 km in total, albeit with a critical battery). Remember there are lots of murders and killings on farms here, hence the need for surveillance.

I also noted the Hubsan zino 2 can also do the above distances, but has absolutely no zoom whatsoever (rather worthless in that regard). The price of the Mavic Air 2 and Zoom 2 exceeds my budget during these Covid times. Hence I thought of the FIMI X8 SE to cover the vast distance that the Mini 2 can't (I was almost about to purchase the Mini 2 when I saw that it flies a shorter total distance).

Lastrexking, an interesting point I noted with regard to your statement that there is only one hardware version manufactured and that the GPS location will dictate whether it will be in CE or FCC mode, I noted that these Mini 2 drones on Ebay are significantly cheaper in Europe than in the USA. If I do decide to purchase the Mini 2 after all, then at least you have helped me to save some money because I was looking specifically for sellers from the USA. I am just not sure why people at Banggood said they were selling the FCC version (now that you say there is actually only one hardware version).

Thank you again to you and everyone else

Reactions: Lastrexking
Thank you

Lastrexking and​

spsphotos

Can we then make the deduction that if the farm is so vast that we need the drone to be able to reach an 8km radius and then 8km back home, it would not make sense to purchase the Mini 2, but rather purchase something like the FIMI X8 SE which youtube videos have shown can reach 8.5km away and then return back home the other 8.5km (17 km in total, albeit with a critical battery). Remember there are lots of murders and killings on farms here, hence the need for surveillance.

I also noted the Hubsan zino 2 can also do the above distances, but has absolutely no zoom whatsoever (rather worthless in that regard). The price of the Mavic Air 2 and Zoom 2 exceeds my budget during these Covid times. Hence I thought of the FIMI X8 SE to cover the vast distance that the Mini 2 can't (I was almost about to purchase the Mini 2 when I saw that it flies a shorter total distance).

Lastrexking, an interesting point I noted with regard to your statement that there is only one hardware version manufactured and that the GPS location will dictate whether it will be in CE or FCC mode, I noted that these Mini 2 drones on Ebay are significantly cheaper in Europe than in the USA. If I do decide to purchase the Mini 2 after all, then at least you have helped me to save some money because I was looking specifically for sellers from the USA. I am just not sure why people at Banggood said they were selling the FCC version (now that you say there is actually only one hardware version).

You’re welcome. Just a note, the Mini1 had different versions for FCC and CE, so that’s where people re maybe confused.

Given your needs the Mini2 definitely won’t be good for you. It is a great drone, and has great range but not what you need. I’d be worried if it’s too windy you wouldn’t be able to use it when you might really need it.

I can’t comment on the other drones - I’ve never used them. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum; Multirotor Drone Talk - RC Groups and there are threads relating to those drones, so you might find some help there.

It might also be worth looking at a second hand Mavic Pro. Good luck! I hope you find something suitable ?

Hi

Lastrexking

Thank you for this. My understanding is the Mavic Pro has no zoom? This is important to observe intruders
Is this correct?
Best wishes

Really, how far are you looking at to observe the intruders? Because flying also takes some time to reach the 5km or more. Realistically it may take 10mins to reach the 5km and by then you are bingo zero on battery on most of the craft, ie you need to return ASAP. So when you reach the edge of battery, you are left with a small window of time to do your surveillance.

Maybe you need to provision for landing in the middle of the return flight and pick it up (after you have judged that you are safe). So safe landing spot can be pre-determined every time before flight.

In FCC mode, your RF signal is much stronger and assuming there is no interference all the way out, you may still end up with a better picture over live view, ie less pixelation, etc.

In CE mode, it is the opposite.

I'm wondering time wise do you really have 10mins to spend standing there flying your drone while you are potentially 10mins away from being harmed. I really mean this with my sincerest care for your well being and safety.

If you can get a Mavic Pro 1, it can be software hack to force FCC (For free), that will pretty much guarantee 10km range RF if not interfered, and it can also do digital zoom (Like Mini2, Air2) over the live view. However, battery wise almost all need to obey the first paragraph above. There is a way for some of these drones to have a hacked battery that can fly 40m+ but they cost a lot of money to finally arrive in SA.

Stay safe, my uncle and family are also somewhere in Jo'burg.

Reactions: boblui
Hi

Lastrexking

Thank you for this. My understanding is the Mavic Pro has no zoom? This is important to observe intruders
Is this correct?
Best wishes
you can get the Mavic Pro into Boost power (1.5 watt) for free. Also when using Litchi in waypoint mode you can fly further without RC connection, but be sure to set the last waypoint on your home position.

If surveillance is the primary objective, you will need a fixed wing drone for this.

We use one around the experimental farms here.

These Minis are primarily for recreation, thus the limitations.

Hi

icecoldgin

Thank you for this. I looked at what you suggested, then I saw these things are tough to fly, compared to a modern quadcopter built for newbies with easy features such as return to home and vertical take off and small, portable size.

I also saw these fixed wing aircraft for a newbie, is almost never sold online as a complete package (I mean to someone who knows nothing about electronics). They advertise at ebay or amazon or banggood a "shell", then one must go buy a battery and a remote control (that I don't even know how to connect up), and one must buy a camera that i cant connect up).

But the well known brands of quadcopters already have it all set up already.

Do you perhaps have any advice or suggestions

icecoldgin

Thank you again

Best wishes

Hi

lee82gx and​

jos A and​

Lastrexking and​

@icecoldgin

I think I am getting brilliant advice from you all.

I was totally unaware that there is a digital zoom on the Mavic pro 1. Thank you for this.

lee82gx

May I ask what strength of this zoom is please? Is it also 4 x or higher? Zoom seems to be a scarce function on drones for some reason.

I checked the specs of the Pro 1, and saw the total flying distance is 13km.

On another note you said with the FCC hack, the range would be 10km, but DJI says 7km when in FCC. Are you saying you can exceed this transmission range of 7km? I understand your point that if the total distance it can fly according to DJI is 13 km, then it can't return to home if it flies to the full theoretical range of 7km in FCC (even though you said it reached 10km range), but may I ask you and the members here please:

If this Pro1 flies out to 10 km, is it possible for me to change the location of the original return to hom location? In other words if I move physically to another location, then can I change the return to home location to my new location which might be nearer (or I might be on a boat, and the boat has moved)?

Did you say the hacked battery only adds another 40 metres, and it is hardware, therefore no online hack?

Thank you again to you and everyone else for all the excellent advice.

Best wishes

Hi

lee82gx and​

jos A and​

Lastrexking and​

@icecoldgin

I think I am getting brilliant advice from you all.

I was totally unaware that there is a digital zoom on the Mavic pro 1. Thank you for this.

lee82gx

May I ask what strength of this zoom is please? Is it also 4 x or higher? Zoom seems to be a scarce function on drones for some reason.

I checked the specs of the Pro 1, and saw the total flying distance is 13km.

On another note you said with the FCC hack, the range would be 10km, but DJI says 7km when in FCC. Are you saying you can exceed this transmission range of 7km? I understand your point that if the total distance it can fly according to DJI is 13 km, then it can't return to home if it flies to the full theoretical range of 7km in FCC (even though you said it reached 10km range), but may I ask you and the members here please:

If this Pro1 flies out to 10 km, is it possible for me to change the location of the original return to hom location? In other words if I move physically to another location, then can I change the return to home location to my new location which might be nearer (or I might be on a boat, and the boat has moved)?

Did you say the hacked battery only adds another 40 metres, and it is hardware, therefore no online hack?

Thank you again to you and everyone else for all the excellent advice.

Best wishes
Mp1 + superpatcher (a hack originated from a member here) can not only do fcc, it can boost to 2.5W compared to 1W on plain FCC mode. The range tests on these I have seen 10km+. The question still remains do you have fuel to reach 10km.

Yes, if you move, MP1 can be configured to have dynamic home point following the transmitter/ operator's phone gps location. This is a feature not implemented in newer drones for some reason.

Unfortunately the zoom level maybe only 2x. It is a digital zoom so past 2x you are not going to resolve more detail in live view I guess. Another way is to take a photo and transmit it over RC back to your phone which you can zoom by pinch. But this takes precious flight time.

A hacked battery is a hardware modified battery that has twice or more amount of battery cells inside, hence the capacity maybe double or more. It can really fly 40minutes plus. I had one for my MP1, it goes 7km for sure and back with plenty to spare. 10km is a real challenge even for a non standard battery.

Hi

lee82gx

Thank you for all your superb advice and experience.

I saw this battery extender at Ebay with this link below, what do you think of it, if I may ask please:

Then I need to ask you if using this battery extender, would it then be possible to take the photo and send it to me, and then zoom in?

Or do you think the FIMI X8 Se 2020 is better because of the 8km range plus the 3xzoom in Search and Rescue mode? Also a lot cheaper, but then again the older Mavic Pro 1 is also affordable.

I almost think to myself I would make an error if I chose to buy the FIMI X8 SE 2020 (good range of 8km and 3x zoom) as opposed to a DJI drone because I am getting so much help and excellent advice here which I probably never would find if I bought a FIMI and had problems (I am still in the process of deciding which one to buy). Plus there is so much info about DJI drones on the net. I don’t think FIMI can even be hacked and their NFZ disabled etc ?

Thank you again lee82gx and to you and everyone here

Best wishes

Another thing to note is that if you are intruded at night most of these cams will not do any good. Perhaps only a MP2 will be able to see something in the dark.

BTW you can also consider a phantom 4
Hi

lee82gx

Thank you for all your superb advice and experience.

I saw this battery extender at Ebay with this link below, what do you think of it, if I may ask please:

Then I need to ask you if using this battery extender, would it then be possible to take the photo and send it to me, and then zoom in?

Or do you think the FIMI X8 Se 2020 is better because of the 8km range plus the 3xzoom in Search and Rescue mode? Also a lot cheaper, but then again the older Mavic Pro 1 is also affordable.

I almost think to myself I would make an error if I chose to buy the FIMI X8 SE 2020 (good range of 8km and 3x zoom) as opposed to a DJI drone because I am getting so much help and excellent advice here which I probably never would find if I bought a FIMI and had problems (I am still in the process of deciding which one to buy). Plus there is so much info about DJI drones on the net. I don’t think FIMI can even be hacked and their NFZ disabled etc ?

Thank you again lee82gx and to you and everyone here

Best wishes
I dont know how to remove or bypass Fimi NFZ.

Rated range needs to always be taken with a handful of salt. Many DJI (which many considered the best in terms of RC signal transmission) drones can barely reach the edge of their range due to signal interference (Wifi, etc) and geography (buildings, line of sight) that is simply unavoidable where you want to fly. Do you actually have an uninterrupted line of sight 8km on land all the way to your destination? Do you have no neighbour or high rise building packed with Wifi? At the edge of signal transmission, the picture is often garbled in live view. If it is critical to see small detail, maybe you really need to take a good picture and transmit it back, and view in your phone with pinch zooming.

The zoom on Fimi (which I saw on youtube) is pixelated, ie a digital zoom. I'm not convinced you have a good resolution from it compared to just 1x.

For a Mavic pro this is what you really want:

or

They are available for purchase in Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore and China. If you are able to source from these countries directly you can get them (+shipping fees of course). The battery clip extension you show is a poor attempt. Many have tried and due to high contact resistance may only get you a few minutes extra even if you add a 3000mAh battery. Not to mention you need good RC battery + a balance charger setup.

Lately I have seen some videos of Hubsan ZIno 2 pro which supposedly is able to fly 9km, with 35min battery life. Maybe that is an option for you. If money is not a problem I would go for a Mavic Air 2 or a used Mavic Zoom (the best of all for your application).

A fixed wing option is also great actually but will likely involve a lot of work to get running. Come to think of it, a fixed wing + 4G transmission can easily fly 10km+.

Hi Lee82gx

Thank you for sharing your extensive knowledge, experience and expertise with me.

Yes, I also liked the Hubsan Zino 2 but stupidly there is no zoom function. Yes, a fixed wing is a very tough situation for a novice (one cant even buy it ready to fly; it has to be assembled after buying all the different parts).

Yes, I was also looking at the Mavic Air 2, then noted it only has a zoom x 2, but now you mentioned one can take a photo in flight and then see the photo whilst in flight and enlarge it whilst in flight.

May, I ask the NFZ disablement, is this only possible with the Mavic 2 zoom?

Yes, I have an uninterrupted line.

Thank you again lee82gx

Best wishes

Hi lee82gx

Thank you for this important tip! WIth that kind of money one can buy a FIMI LOL. One thing that I have learned is that this is indeed big business, and the biggest business laughing all the way to the bank is DJI.

I must now make a decision because I see a tougher lockdown is looming. It looks like you are safe and sound in Malaysia, and cheaper prices also?

Thank you lee82gx

Best wishes

Hi lee82gx

Thank you for this important tip! WIth that kind of money one can buy a FIMI LOL. One thing that I have learned is that this is indeed big business, and the biggest business laughing all the way to the bank is DJI.

I must now make a decision because I see a tougher lockdown is looming. It looks like you are safe and sound in Malaysia, and cheaper prices also?

Thank you lee82gx

Best wishes
You might want to check your drone in South Africa to see if it acts the way that was reported above your post to have occurred in Malaysia. DJI programs drones for the location where it is shipped.
Most newer DJI drones won’t fly into or takeoff from within an NFZ. If they do they are likely placing life and/or property at risk.

It is true that flying in or through a NFZ is an illegal act almost everywhere, and is not a good practice. It is inexcusable to fly through an airport area without permission. Similar as you don’t launch a balloon etc. Google DJI NFZ geozone and search your area of intended flight to see if it is under NFZ. That is the minimum. Then ensure your authorities have not not enlarged the NFZ than what is covered by DJI.

Malaysia is not the most perfect country by any measure but I’m thankful for the general peace we have enjoyed for the past decades. Price wise, it is a good rate compared to the RRP of DJI drones, but we hardly see any substantial discount.

wish all my fellow droners a Merry, blessed Christmas time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure