DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MINI 2 vs FIMI X8 se range

NewbieNewbie

Reactions
Hi to all the experienced members

As a newbie who must decide between buying one of these 2 I was hoping to get some advice. I hsve seen the CE range of Mini 2 is 6km, but the maximum distance appears to be 11km with a critical battery on youtube (5.5 km away and 5.5 km return)

The FIMI says it has a range of 8km (one member here said there is no difference between FCC and CE, and FIMI might "lie" about it to get it pass the regulations of the various countries)

I am on a huge farm and need the distance for surveillance of intruders. 5.5 km away and back is not enough. Do the members think the FIMI x8 se is the better choice to buy, considering the 8km range they advertize or do you think in a CE county its going to be even worse than the Mini 2?

I have seen a few youtube videos where the FIMI did not reach the advertised distance, but only did 3.5 km away and return (7km in total).

I would highly appreciate advice as to which one you would choose if you wanted a vast distance ( the mavic air 2 and zoom that does 18km is a bit too pricey).

Thank you to everyone

Best wishes

Do the members think the FIMI x8 se is the better choice to buy, considering the 8km range they advertize or do you think in a CE county its going to be even worse than the Mini 2?
Very few members have any experience with the FIMI, so there won't be many with an idea of how realistic their distance specs will be.
DJI's distance specs are reliable and achievable ... in an interference area.
But you cannot just switch it on and fly out to that max distance any time you want to.
Wind speed and direction is a very important factor to consider if you always want the drone to come back.
For example if you flew away with a strong tailwind, the trip home would be quite slow.
If you flew too far out, the drone might not be able to get all the way back.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong when you are flying a drone.
Attempting to fly out to max distance before having a good understanding of what can go wrong and how to ensure they don't, would be rather unwise.

Reactions: old man mavic
Battery capacity is also important.

The drone may have the range but if it runs out of battery, then range means nothing.

Mini 2 seems to be the better choice due to Ocusync 2.

Reactions: 280
@NewbieNewbie any drone is going to have its time in the air dependant on many factors, and although it may say it has a range of whatsoever ,that is normally a one way trip with the limitations that the battery has ,the real world flight times and distances, are unfortunately far removed ,from the reality of what you can actually achieve,they are not actually telling fibs ,but most of the specs are a theoretical possibility, and if they are reproduced ,then they have been done in a controlled environment

Reactions: shaneb50
Hi to you all for your input. I highly appreciate your experienced views. I just have one more question because I am now considering buying the Mavic 2 due to its vast distance. Is it best to place a separate thread?
Thank you again
best wishes

For that kind of distance on a regular basis you would be better off with security cameras and a power boosted WiFi repeater to relay video to your home or business network. Consumer grade drones are not built to fly those distances and maintain video link with any kind of regularity.

Not to mention you could only survey 20 to 30 minutes at a time before having to change batteries. That would be a 24x7 job with enough time for bio breaks and quick bites, assuming you were using autonomous flights.

I have never used mini2. I purchased FIMI x8 se last month. After the test, I am very satisfied. Its actual control distance is 8km, and the battery life is about 35 minutes. When the connection is lost, it will automatically return. This is my fimi x8 The photos taken by the se drone's camera look very high-definition. Hope it helps you.
fimi x8 se 2020.jpgfimi x8 se.jpgfimi.jpg

I agree - the FIMI X8 SE 2020 is a terrific drone for the price. I was happy with the 2018 version and upgraded to the 2020 version. And I have 4 DJI drones.

Hi to all the experienced members

As a newbie who must decide between buying one of these 2 I was hoping to get some advice. I hsve seen the CE range of Mini 2 is 6km, but the maximum distance appears to be 11km with a critical battery on youtube (5.5 km away and 5.5 km return)

The FIMI says it has a range of 8km (one member here said there is no difference between FCC and CE, and FIMI might "lie" about it to get it pass the regulations of the various countries)

I am on a huge farm and need the distance for surveillance of intruders. 5.5 km away and back is not enough. Do the members think the FIMI x8 se is the better choice to buy, considering the 8km range they advertize or do you think in a CE county its going to be even worse than the Mini 2?

I have seen a few youtube videos where the FIMI did not reach the advertised distance, but only did 3.5 km away and return (7km in total).

I would highly appreciate advice as to which one you would choose if you wanted a vast distance ( the mavic air 2 and zoom that does 18km is a bit too pricey).

Thank you to everyone

Best wishes
I think Mini 2 will be the best

I would go with the FIMI having used it for some time now. There are many reviews of wind playing with the MIni 2 and users having trouble with it. You won't get that with the FIMI. Also, you won't get the flight restrictions with the FIMI that you get with DJI drones. And I have the DJI Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro 2, Mavic Air and Phantom 3 Advanced and still like the FIMI.

Which FIMI do you have? Mine is terrific with an incredible range greater than DJI. Not to mention it is very stable in wind.
I have the 2020. It’s fine in the wind. The crooked horizon and the varying distance are my major beefs.

You might need something beefy with infrared camera
Ask some regional security experts

but lots of other drone uses on farms
You’ll have fun

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki