DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro did it again arggg

Thanks Meta for explaining all or that.
I just took the air 1 up did a quick video of the terrain I was flying over.As you can see its all scrub brush and small trees nothing over 20 feet tall and as the record shows I was at 70 ft . When it did its thing.
https://youtu.be/_BxuLTYnxmU

That was very helpful.

Yes, short trees and shrubs, but the terrain is rising. The altitude shown on controller is relative to the home point, which per your video appears lower than some of the terrain you were flying over.

But I can see there aren't the kind of trees I thought from the satellite image. There are a couple things right at the end of the log of possible interest, here's a screen shot:

Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 2.31.42 PM.png

1) On the far left, it shows the last update was over a minute after the data occured... I'm not sure if this indicates that the controller waits on signal loss before recording an potentially incomplete data point.

2) The drone was climbing and was at the highest point of the flight at signal loss.

3) The last line also indicates the highest climb speed of the flight.

4) All the drone performance/movements do appear to be correlated with control inputs, with a 200ms to 400ms lag.

OVERLOAD??
As I mentioned earlier, I've noticed in sport mode I could get an overlaod warning easilly. In this case, the Mini was cruising at 29 mph, with "forward" at max, and then the throttle to increase altitude is jammed to max, and it is just one second after the sport-mode max UP command that connection was lost.

I stand by PART of my earlier message, not the trees, but the overload. Examining the telemetry, this has the appearance of a "Challenger go with throttle up" moment...(yea yea I might have a twisted sense of humor)

Assuming didn't see any sparks or fire that evening, then the battery probably didn't explode, so you've got that going for ya, and it probably landed in grass or soft sand, so a good blast with dustoff, and a probably replace the props, and probably good to go.

From the "Trees are A$$##75" Department:
At least you won't have to hire a arbor service , which is how I ended up in this forum last year: Mini 2 Tree Crash and Recovery

Edit PS: Regarding #2, I didn't see any power lines... are there any near the loss area?

1) On the far left, it shows t
If you compare the values in column B with those in columns C & D you will I think note that B is not in good agreement with C & D the whole way through the log.
I have checked a couple of my logs and they too show poor agreement between B & C/D, personally I do not think you can draw any conclusions from the disagreement evident in B.
In point of fact if you look at the previous line, column B time is 19:20:20 and the log started at 19:19:41 which would suggest the column B duration of 39 seconds to the penultimate line whereas the column C & D times indicate 69 seconds. The battery percentage also does not support a 1min 7sec interval.

Reactions: RodPad
OVERLOAD??
As I mentioned earlier, I've noticed in sport mode I could get an overlaod warning easilly. In this case, the Mini was cruising at 29 mph, with "forward" at max, and then the throttle to increase altitude is jammed to max,
Interesting idea.
I think the DAT records ESC temperatures as I have found these populated colums in a Mini 3 Pro DAT
Motor:EscTemp:RFront,
Motor:EscTemp:LFront,
Motor:EscTemp:LBack,
Motor:EscTemp:RBack
but what the units are I have no idea.

I doubt there's much chance of seeing the DAT for this flight or the previous loss.

Last edited:
That was very helpful.

Yes, short trees and shrubs, but the terrain is rising. The altitude shown on controller is relative to the home point, which per your video appears lower than some of the terrain you were flying over.

But I can see there aren't the kind of trees I thought from the satellite image. There are a couple things right at the end of the log of possible interest, here's a screen shot:

View attachment 170702

1) On the far left, it shows the last update was over a minute after the data occured... I'm not sure if this indicates that the controller waits on signal loss before recording an potentially incomplete data point.

2) The drone was climbing and was at the highest point of the flight at signal loss.

4) All the drone performance/movements do appear to be correlated with control inputs, with a 200ms to 400ms lag.

OVERLOAD??
As I mentioned earlier, I've noticed in sport mode I could get an overlaod warning easilly. In this case, the Mini was cruising at 29 mph, with "forward" at max, and then the throttle to increase altitude is jammed to max, and it is just one second after the sport-mode max UP command that connection was lost.

I stand by PART of my earlier message, not the trees, but the overload. Examining the telemetry, this has the appearance of a "Challenger go with throttle up" moment...(yea yea I might have a twisted sense of humor)

Assuming didn't see any sparks or fire that evening, then the battery probably didn't explode, so you've got that going for ya, and it probably landed in grass or soft sand, so a good blast with dustoff, and a probably replace the props, and probably good to go.

At least you won't have to hire a arbor service , which is how I ended up in this forum last year: Mini 2 Tree Crash and Recovery

Edit PS: Regarding #2, I didn't see any power lines... are there any near the loss area?
Well the trees are every were and high grass . I've searched and search and have not found it. I can't believe if its still there that I haven't found it. Its not huge area to search and Iv'e search 50 to 60 feet each side of the flight path and have checked out to the river I think someone found it and are not telling me. when I talk to dji I'll have them disable it .

That was very helpful.

View attachment 170702

OVERLOAD??

es, short trees and shrubs, but the terrain is rising. The altitude shown on controller is relative to the home point, which per your video appears lower than some of the terrain you were flying over.

The terrain I'm flying over is lower then my home point

If you compare the values in column B with those in columns C & D you will I think note that B is not in good agreement with C & D the whole way through the log.
I have checked a couple of my logs and they too show poor agreement between B & C/D, personally I do not think you can draw any conclusions from the disagreement evident in B.
In point of fact if you look at the previous line, column B time is 19:20:20 and the log started at 19:19:41 which would suggest the column B duration of 39 seconds to the penultimate line whereas the column C & D times indicate 69 seconds. The battery percentage also does not support a 1min 7sec interval.

That's helpful, to me that means this is the time the controller updates the datafile, but a quesion it raises, is it related to the time the drones sends to data, or is it indicating something else.

You have really been having a tough go of it.
Sorry to hear.
This can be a frustrating hobby. I learned a while back to just go with the flow. I typically have at least one case open with DJI at any given time. It just falls into the category of "stuff happens. A couple weeks back I had props fail on my DJI FPV and that one got sent off. A day later, I was sending in my Avata's remote because while I was flying that one in the meantime, I dropped it on the floor as I was coming back in the house. Two cases going at the same time. : ) It's always something.
Yea Tony it's frustrating for sure more so when I had no control over it. I've had my share of mishaps that I caused but I learned from them and avoid making those mistakes again, and I sure don't blame the drone for what I did. But hey

That's helpful, to me that means this is the time the controller updates the datafile, but a quesion it raises, is it related to the time the drones sends to data, or is it indicating something else.
I don't understand which you are questioning/doubting, column B or colums C&D. I have always taken columns C&D as accurate and never looked at column B.

Last edited:
The terrain is almost flat and falling.
At the end of the data, the ground is 6 feet lower than at the starting point.

Sudden loss of signal and drone falling from the sky without any attempt at a RTH, that seems a lot like a sudden battery disconnect issue (battery popped out of aircraft). It's rare, but it seems to have been reported before. The Mini 3 Pro battery clips in pretty securely though, the only way I could see this happening is a swollen or malformed battery. Hopefully you find the aircraft. It should be in the vicinity of where you lost contact if it was a sudden battery disconnect or power loss issue - AND you saw it fall down around there.

I don't understand which you are questioning/doubting, column B or colums C&D. I have always taken columns C&D as accurate and never looked at column B.
I’m not questioning/doubting, however I’m wondering what column B actually reflects (I.e. is just the time the controller actually wrote to the file?)

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
That is a good question. One for @BudWalker or @msinger perhaps.
Another oddity. I'm using the Flight Reader, an offline version of the online Log Viewer. The Flight Reader doesn't have this problem. In addition, the first flyTime is 0.0 as it should be. However, the online Log Viewer has the first flyTime as 29.2. Definitely a problem for @msinger.

@BudWalker thanks for the mention! I'll take a look.

I don't understand all this tech stuff vut you guys may figure out what really happened

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13