DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini camera lense filters

Caleb90

Reactions
So my mavic mini came with a set of fliter lenses. But there is nothing with them saying what they do and what conditions to use them. Any info on these out there?IMG_20220416_091339675.jpg

So much has been written about ND filters on this forum. Search is your friend.

Opinions differ. Experiences differ.

I myself almost always use an ND8 or ND16 when shooting video in daylight in the Pacific North West of the US. I’ve not used PL filters on a drone.

Found a video on here. Wow alot of info to take in and alot of camera adjustments. From what i watched there only used for videos?

Found a video on here. Wow alot of info to take in and alot of camera adjustments. From what i watched there only used for videos?
A lens filter will have the same effect on an image regardless of whether you're shooting still photos or video.

In bright daylight conditions the end effect of adding an ND filter is to enable the relatively slow shutter speeds often used in video.

The need to do this for stills is rare, most people want high shutter speeds for all still photography. The end result of a relatively slow shutter speed in stills is blurry pictures. Sometimes that bluriness can be used to artistic effect…

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
You probably don't need to use them but it depends on what you want to shoot.

You won't need the ND filters for anything you shoot with the drone for still images. The ND with a drone is just used for video, if you need that effect. Remember that when you put something in front of your lens, you are slightly degrading the image.

The PL filter can be effective but is dependent on the angle of the sun to what direction you are shooting. A PL filter will reduce glare but as I said, only when the subject and sun are at a certain angle. A PL filter can, when the angles of filming and sun to camera, are correct, remove that shine that the sun makes on water and allow you to see into the water.

It can also remove the sun reflection off a car windscreen that would allow you to see into the car. It can also make clouds pop and increase the intensity of a blue sky. It can remove the shine off leaves on a tree or bush and make for a more vivid green of the leaves.

It will probably be rare when you will be using them plus you will need to learn how and when to use them as well as know what adjustments you need to make to your camera settings. I would suggest you just leave them off and learn to shoot with the camera as is. Later when you know a lot more about your camera, you could try and play with those filters, otherwise you will just get confused and might have crap photos.

Reactions: Mtntrogger
So i took a short video yesturday, with out a filter. First time taking a video, put the sd card in my phone and the video is super glitchy. Looks like its in slowmotion/ photo loop. But if i go on the app and watch the low quality verson saved on there it works fine . This a sd card issue? These are the cards i am using https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08FDLLB7D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

So i took a short video yesturday, with out a filter. First time taking a video, put the sd card in my phone and the video is super glitchy. Looks like its in slowmotion/ photo loop. But if i go on the app and watch the low quality verson saved on there it works fine . This a sd card issue? These are the cards i am using https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08FDLLB7D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Why use your phone? You are entering too many variables. Simply put the Micro SD card in your computer then open the files there. If you see it is glitchy there too, then either you have a problem with the size/power of your computer, or you have a faulty Micro SD card or it's the drone. Therefore, to test things, use the same Card with a camera (not drone) and test the footage you take with that camera, on your computer and see if you get good or glitchy video play back. Then try a different card (B) in your camera and then use the same card (B) in your drone and record through the drones camera, both still and short video, and see if you still get the glitchy video.

If you do, then it may be the drone or the computer. If you can try these two cards with video files on someone else's computer and they work, then it is your computer and if the video is glitchy on their computer, then you may have a drone problem. That is, if both memory cards were showing the same problem, when playing back video on the other computer.

Ha i dont own a computer. I am not much into the tech stuff. The video plays fine on the dji app, but its the low res version.

Ha i dont own a computer. I am not much into the tech stuff. The video plays fine on the dji app, but its the low res version.
Surely you must know someone who has a computer or laptop, to test this out. On the other hand, you may have an SD card that is not fast enough to record the video properly via your drone. Make sure it is a class 10 Micro SD card.

I can't imagine that you are forever more, only going to watch your drone footage on your phone, or worse, try and edit it all on your phone, then try watching it.

Are you using only your phone to converse on this forum, as well?

Yes i do know people with a laptop. I got the drone mostly to mess around with and take pictures. But it bugs me that the video didnt work correctly. Yes i use my phone for all my online needs. I have no internet/cable ect at my house. One less bill i have to pay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-092051.png
    Screenshot_20220509-092051.png
    416.4 KB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member