DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minor crash with Mavic and now concerned about Gimbal

Joey

Reactions
Hey everyone, I am a new pilot and received my Mavic just before Christmas for fun and work (Real Estate). I have flown a handful of times(haven't had ideal weather here in Cincinnati) including photographing a few properties and have been blown away with results. SO, last week I calibrated the compass in the street out front of a property and noticed that during filming, the drone was swaying a bit, dropping in altitude, just not acting right. It ended up barely skimming a lamp post which triggered me to attempt to grab it and push it to ground (was literally moving on it's own)... escaped that with an undamaged drone and numerous bruises on my hand - not smart but I was freaking out that it was going to crash. Anyway, I did research and made an effort to calibrate in a field with no phones, watches etc. when I filmed a property yesterday. Everything seemed to be going great but then towards the end of taking photos, the drone went sideways into a tree limb, broke one propeller and dropped upside down to grass below (roughly 10'). It kept running.... propellers going crazy while upside down and it wouldn't stop regardless of what I pushed on remote - I flipped it over and pushed the on/off button on battery and it stopped(avoided my fingers this time). Other than broken propeller, it looked fine.. I replaced the propeller and sent it back up just to see how it was flying - all seemed fine. Well I started to become paranoid that something is wrong inside of the drone and then noticed that the gimbal is hanging by four rubber bands and I have no idea if this is how it was prior. There is a little piece of plastic behind the gimbal that appears broken, but again, I have no idea just how lose/free the gimbal should be hanging. I don't know anyone in the area with a Mavic, otherwise I would just compare. While things seems to be working fine, I have it stuck in my head that something is wrong and it's driving me crazy. Here are some pics of gimbal mount - if anyone can take a look and provide some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. I do have DJI Care Refresh but have no idea how it works - do I work with retailer I purchased it from or directly with DJI? I have not heard the best things about repairs and service but again, I prefer to just get it checked out and be assured that nothing is wrong. The all around sensors on the Phantom 4 Pro are looking more appealing now Crazy how an incident like this now gives me major anxiety when it comes to flying again.
Thank you all!
-Paranoid Pilot

Attachments

• IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4679.JPG
    IMG_4679.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
Well you need to contact DJI and use your Refresh plan. Very surprised that you say "things are fine" because you should surely be seeing a shaky video feed on your display. Also, try to upload the files to to @msinger app here: Free online DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer

Then we can diagnose the cause of the issue

Hello, Paranoid Pilot!
Unfortunately, your gimbal does have a broken retaining clip and needs to be sent in for service
Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 9.00.52 AM.png

To use the care refresh you should contact DJI at DJI Repair Service Center

I would be happy to take a look at the .dat file to try and see what went wrong during the flight(s)
How to retrieve a .DAT

If you could upload to dropbox and post the link here that would be great =)

Thank you VERY much! I have submitted DJI Care Refresh claim.. now hopefully I am not without the Mavic for months! I will attempt to get flight data out of it.. assume DJI will make sure all is good with drone prior to sending back though?

what does that clip do? i looked at my drone and it just seems to be in the way more than anything? and is that piece that broke medal or plastic? because some say thats a medal plate? im not sure that why im asking

The "hook" at the rear of the gimbal mount is plastic. I think all it really does is prevent the gimbal assembly from over-extending during normal operation, but is somewhat sacrificial in the event of a crash or rough landing.

The plate the the rubber bands attach to seems to be the metal part.

-Rod

x_QkIKSHVQA.jpg
eT2S4yTrPGk.jpg

I have the same issue and I actually think that I didn't have this detail from start of my flying (when mavic was delivered). After some small crash I have all destroyed propellers and broken ribbon cable to gimbal. So pay attention after picking up your new mavic are all details looks fine? ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard