DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More wind

Drones won't fly there - no atmosphere. Maybe Mars, but then you'd have the wind problem again... It's hopeless.
It all depends how you define "drones". Spacecraft can fly to and from, and just above, the Moon. And they don't need to have humans on board.

Being that we live on the Lake wind is a constant and once learned can be a fantastic day of flying.
Once you learn how to Negotiate the wind you can have some of your fastest Return to homes .

Unless you have the Mini , You should practice on windy days , just so you get past the panic and fear as there is always wind , its part of flying , Anything under 25 is legit to fly in.

Fly into the head winds and have a blast coming back.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water.

No idea what drone you have since this is "General" - but the Air2 does quite well in winds in the sub 20-25 mph range. If you have a Mini / Mini2 - yes, Houston we have a problem.

Apps like UAV / KittyHawk / Airmap have ability to see wind speeds at certain heights (relative of course and probably far from correct in your airspace) - so if wind is low at 100-200 feet - get the drone up and fly. I would not fly in anything over 25 mph with my Air2, but that is just me. We do have daredevils who have flown in MUCH HIGHER winds - but I don't advise it.

In higher wind speeds, the battery will drain quite rapidly as well - esp if your flying IN TO the wind. Keep a close watch if that is happening as it can hit critical in short order and then drop from the sky.

Wind !!!
My sports are golf and sailing...
no wind = golf // windy = sailing
My hobbies are drone and rc sail...
no wind = drone // windy = rc sailing

Just gotta adapt :)

You might consider Florida. Not as windy as Chicago and just slightly warmer in the winter. Glad I did years ago. Somehow just don’t miss South Bend winters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr