DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Morocco.....I may have a permit...could I still have issues..?

HKTrooper

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I know there are a number of threads regarding don't take or didn't know the laws etc, this is slightly different. Being a motorcycle guided tour and advanced training business I contacted the Moroccan Embassy in London and asked what I would need to do to get a permit.

I had a call from a very nice lady three days later asking me lots of questions, she had clearly looked at our website and checked other things prior to her call, she wanted to know our route, duration, how I was going to keep clear of restricted sites (Guardian Angel), pilot quals etc.
After she had finished it was clear that she knew very little about the actual law but clearly someone had given her the questions to ask, I mentioned that I was very aware of the law and what was the possibility of getting my Pro in. She said if was going to be a no I would have had an email stating the rules and pointing me to the Civil Aviation website.
Her thoughts, although guarded seemed to be if you apply in the correct manner, respect the laws of a foreign nation, can prove that you publish videos for business that its possible.

So, to my question, has anyone on here ever been granted a permit and if so how did it go?

Please don't reply with stuff like don't risk it, been there had it stolen etc, most of the issues on here are from people who seem to feel that the rights and liberties afforded much of the free world gives us some form of carte blanche to do as we please around the rest of the world and that we are the victims when we are stupid.

For any positive and helpful info I would be most grateful.

Thank you

Reactions: ff22
Good luck, I hope you have no issues. Please come back and share any photos and video you capture. I bet they would be interesting to see.

OK, its taken some time and some tooing and froing but here is the definitive response from the UK Moroccan Embassy courtesy of the lovely lady at the Embassy, an English speaking official from the Moroccan CAA and a lawyer who was recommended to me by, lets say someone who had some difficulty over there 2 years ago.

I think one of the issues many people have, apart from not reading the rules, is language and understanding, the Moroccan CAA website is poor as is the Embassies, they look like someones 12 year old has lashed them together and the language can be imprecise which leads to poor or little understanding.

The importation of ANY drone device is strictly prohibited, no ifs buts or maybe's, notice the word importation, the law regarding FLYING a drone is also clear, this is possible under certain circumstances. The reason you see video of drone flight in Morocco is because the government have granted licences to what they call 'Verified' companies.
There are people who have managed to sneak a drone through and have captured footage, the penalty for these people if caught, is significantly greater than losing a drone at customs. Lets us not forget that Morocco and area's surrounding Morocco are either police states or have recently moved away from being police states but they still have massive infrastructures designed to remove money from the unwary traveller, Backsheesh ( allegedly a harmless term to imply a 'tip' but utilised for fines and backhanders) was developed by these countries and they are expert at it. If you are caught flying an illegally imported drone you will lose the drone, your freedom and a BIG chunk of money.

The verified companies hire out their drones or their drones and a pilot. If you can prove you have passed a pilot qualification (all countries have a different program but the standards seem the same) they will hire you a drone.
There are of course major issues with this if you are touring as I will be, they are not like hire cars where you can drop it off in the city you are travelling to.
The lady at the embassy spoke excellent English and has translated the official documents and will be updating the website for the UK so it is clear, concise and will list the verified film production companies. here is the official reply:-

Dear Sir,

Thank you for reaching out the Moroccan Embassy in London. Please be aware that according to the customs, it is strictly prohibited to import remotely controlled drones into Morocco under penalty of sanctions.

However, attached is a list of verified agencies in situ renting drones.

We remain available should you need any further assistance or clarification.

Kind regards,

The Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco in London

The only company that might be of use to anyone coming into Port Tangier is the second to last one on the list, the rest are in Casablanca or Marrakesh. if like me, you are bringing a Motorcycle or car the Tangier company is the only option as that's where I start and leave from.

I hope this clarifies the point for those asking the question, I may hire one, not sure, I'm setting off from North Yorkshire tomorrow and hitting the chunnel Monday, ill be in Tangiers next Friday, I shall ponder it on the ride down.

Fly Safe.

Attachments

• Moroccan film production companies.pdf
    323.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: paulatkin73
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member