DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motorcycle hard trunk and Mavic. Is it safe for a ride?

We're still on it. Almost 3000 miles and I pull the MP out and film/fly without incident to date.
That's awesome!
We are road racer's but every now and then go on 1000 mile ride over a weekend. Hope I get to do what you are before I die

I pack my Fly More Combo Bag into a Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag (straps mount, no magnets) on my paint shaker of a KTM. So far it survived 1k offroad miles in Baja, MX and another 2k+ on a recent trip to UT.

Here is a friend's edit:

So I have also been thinking about this and not to concerned with ny 1200GS on the pavement but off-road the rear case can bounce pretty bad. My thought was to get a couple small bungee nets, make a PVC frame to fit in my rear box and then zip tie the 2 nets to the frame with one side not tied. Take the Fly More bag and slip it between the 2 nets and set the frame in the box. This way the bag is suspended in the air and should not get bounced or vibrated around.

have read somewhere you need to recalibrate when traveling long distance to new location,not sure how true that is though.

Not true in my case, I received my Mavic in Norway and never calibrated the compass. Now I traveled to Singapore and still have not calibrated it. The Mavic still flies perfectly

I have a suggestion. Put a dozen eggs in your Givi and go for a little ride. Dont be gentle with the bike, ride as normal. When you get back, if any of the eggs are broken, it might not be a good idea to keep your Mavic in there. Trunks like the Givi tend to bounce around alot with the back wheel, and arent as smooth as a tank bag might be. Remember, you have a gimbal on your Mavic.
Why not put the Mavic in with the eggs! So if the eggs break, the sticky mess would help lubricate the Mavic's parts so they won't break! LOL!

Why not put the Mavic in with the eggs! So if the eggs break, the sticky mess would help lubricate the Mavic's parts so they won't break! LOL!

Or just turn on the Mavic, flip it upside down, wait till it gets nice and hot, then use the cooling vents as a cooking grille. The Mavic Grille. For those rainy days when you cant fly your Mavic.

The primary reason I bought a Mavic was to take with me "OFF-ROAD" on my Adventure Bike, a Honda Africa Twin. I ride 50% road and 50% off-road, which includes rock gardens, sand, gravel, dirt, rutted and washboard roads for miles and miles.

I use a Givi Outback Trekker top case and a GPC hardcase. Zero issues at all. The key is to keep the Mavic and remote from bouncing around unprotected. The GPC case is very well padded and while the case gets bounced around the mavic stays safely protected in the GPC case. I make sure the Mavic and remote do not have space to move around in the GPC case. My last ride took me through several miles of washboard that was so rough my ABS light kept coming on and tractions control kept kicking in to the point I could hardly move, I had to shut them off.

I also alternate taking my Phantom 4 along too and I simply put that in the foam case it came in. And it too has survived several hundred miles of rough roads with no issues.

When I know I'm not going off-road I simply use this; Amazon.com: DJI Mavic Pro Carrying Case Foldable Drone Body and Remote Controller Transmitter Bag Hardshell Housing Bag Storage Box by FSLabs: Camera & Photo
I then take my old sweat pants and wrap them cases in them to add some shock-proofing and put it in my smaller soft tailpack. Again zero issues. IMO, the key is isolating it from too much "shock" or bouncing and rubbing on stuff...

Reactions: bfine and EsiMavic
I'm impressed with the durability and quality of the electronics and all aspects of the Mavic Pro Platinum. I put it in a 20 USD foam cut out fake carbon fiber covered semi hard bag. Threw it into my back box on a KLX450R. Blasted through rutted out washboard gravel roads. Pull it out out, to my relief and astonishment it flew flawlessly. I remember in the seventies calling japanese cars and tools "jap crap" , today one of the highest quality vehicles you can buy. China's on a mission not to be cheap imitators but more innovators.

I have a suggestion. Put a dozen eggs in your Givi and go for a little ride. Dont be gentle with the bike, ride as normal. When you get back, if any of the eggs are broken, it might not be a good idea to keep your Mavic in there. Trunks like the Givi tend to bounce around alot with the back wheel, and arent as smooth as a tank bag might be. Remember, you have a gimbal on your Mavic.

I agree with Thunderdrones. I have a KLR and the back bounces around so much that I have started to put it in the backpack.

Reactions: Former Member
Well guys I need some advices from bikers and from those who know well how fragile this equipment is for traveling inside a hard trunk on a motorcycle.

I ride a sport bike and I'm wondering if I can carry my gear inside the hard trunk safely.

Nuwg3jc.jpg

I don't have a backpack. I do have a hard case from MC-Cases and it fits well inside the trunk.
I'm afraid the Mavic and its fragile parts cannot handle the shakings and bumps.

Am I right to fear that something could go wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've got great camera backpack that carries my pro and DSLR. Wouldn't trust the suspension on any bike

Reactions: Former Member
The draw to the Mavic for me was the folded size because it will fit in a saddle bag. I don't have an adventure bike. Mine is a big touring bike (read lazy boy on wheels) so I'm thinking it is not much different than having it in a car.. Plan on taking it with me everywhere.. Happy Camper.. I travel somewhere between 15,000 and 25,000 Kms per season..

Reactions: MavicMo
I have a trip coming up in June this year to Tuktoyaktuk NWT which will include about 750km of the Dempster Hwy, which is very rough. I tried it last year without the drone and blew a fork seal on the bike halfway up, so going to try it again this year, this time with the drone. Not sure what to expect when I get up there, maybe it will be just a pile of ground up dust when I open the bag. ;)

I do take my DSLR on trips though, and it has survived a lot of miles on very rough roads in my tank bag, so maybe Mavic will be OK too. If I didn't have a duffel bag across the back seat of the bike I would put it in a backpack to carry, but that won't work since my back leans on that duffel. Maybe I can do a chest mount bag, but that could be bad in a crash, so not sure what to do.

I bought some hard mini cases for it, maybe I can lay those on some soft foam and put in top box?

I take mine every where. Just put it in the tank bag. I got caught up in a huge storm last trip. Mavic was fine. I have fell off a few times with it. I have dragged it all around the place in Adventures bikes, 4x4 and light planes.

The channel is here if anyone wants to see the sorts of things I get up to with mine.
JJ's Adventures

Got the PolarPro case that I’ll carry in the saddlebags of my Street Glide. No issues so far, works great. The case is padded and so are the saddlebags, plus I have an air ride installed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf