DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motorcycle hard trunk and Mavic. Is it safe for a ride?

ed1nh0

Reactions
Well guys I need some advices from bikers and from those who know well how fragile this equipment is for traveling inside a hard trunk on a motorcycle.

I ride a sport bike and I'm wondering if I can carry my gear inside the hard trunk safely.

Nuwg3jc.jpg

I don't have a backpack. I do have a hard case from MC-Cases and it fits well inside the trunk.
I'm afraid the Mavic and its fragile parts cannot handle the shakings and bumps.

Am I right to fear that something could go wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I put mine in tank bag in the $30.00 bag from best buy,and always check compass and Imu before I take off. Only had compass error once after travel after riding 300 miles away not sure if that matters, but have read somewhere you need to recalibrate when traveling long distance to new location,not sure how true that is though.

Reactions: Rustynuts
Tank bag? Might be a good Idea but you took just your Mavic and RC, right?

read somewhere you need to recalibrate when traveling long distance to new location
It's true. I read that too. Wherever you go, if the new spot is miles away from where you've been, it will ask for compass calibration.

Note if using a tank bag be sure MAVIC and rc are not in contact with magnets on the bag. I put it in this bag then in tank bag1493083591884763778873.jpg

Reactions: ed1nh0
I'm currently on motorcycle trip and am close to having travelled 1400 miles with the Mavic in its stock bag. I have pulled it out and flown it with it recognizing home with no bad side effects. I haven't had to do anything.

I'm currently on motorcycle trip and am close to having travelled 1400 miles with the Mavic in its stock bag. I have pulled it out and flown it with it recognizing home with no bad side effects. I haven't had to do anything.
You mean the bag that came within the Fly More combo?
I've been purchasing so much accessories for my Mavic that won't fit in that bag.
But, good to know you have so many miles and no issues with it.
Thanks!

I have a suggestion. Put a dozen eggs in your Givi and go for a little ride. Dont be gentle with the bike, ride as normal. When you get back, if any of the eggs are broken, it might not be a good idea to keep your Mavic in there. Trunks like the Givi tend to bounce around alot with the back wheel, and arent as smooth as a tank bag might be. Remember, you have a gimbal on your Mavic.

You mean the bag that came within the Fly More combo?
I've been purchasing so much accessories for my Mavic that won't fit in that bag.
But, good to know you have so many miles and no issues with it.
Thanks!

Yes, the fly more combo pack. Google you tube videos that show proper packing , I carry everything in that bag and it takes such a small amount of room.

Reactions: EsiMavic
I used to carry everything in the stock bag. Watched a bunch of videos to do that! haha
It became small when I got the iPad, the landing gear, ND filters set, extra 5-in-1 rapid charger, SD card reader and so on. ;)

I have a suggestion. Put a dozen eggs in your Givi and go for a little ride. Dont be gentle with the bike, ride as normal. When you get back, if any of the eggs are broken, it might not be a good idea to keep your Mavic in there. Trunks like the Givi tend to bounce around alot with the back wheel, and arent as smooth as a tank bag might be. Remember, you have a gimbal on your Mavic.
Holly...... I'll invite you to share a huge omelet!! :D

I currently ride with an identical Givi box on a CB1300S and have done day trips with the Mavic in the Combo bag without troubles.
I'm guessing the way the bag holds everything nice and tight will be a help. Naturally, the gimbal has the lock installed.
If you need to carry extra stuff as you say, maybe a second smaller bag for the extra things which are more robust.

Alternative I've seen is replace the Givi with a Pelican. Or you could fill the Givi with foam. :D

So I rode today on my bike (Bmw 1200 GS) with my MP in the standard bag as usual. Took a couple of bumps unexpectedly and broke the camera protector (the roundish transparent plastic bubble). Hopefully I can glue it tomorrow....
My advise is to set it horizontally (mine was vertical), with the gimbal protector well set (have to insert gimbal little flap into the plastic piece) and the whole thing among other soft stuff (clothing or towels, maybe mattress foam if you are not carrying anything else) so it doesn't bump inside the bike's trunk.
As for calibrating, I flew to other countries and never had to calibrate anything, it started as usual.
Good luck!

0e84b5813899486f606a64f7ae8cb66c.jpg

I dont sell or have incentives on this but this would a be great option when youre on motorcycle. Just find the right size that the mavic bag could fit in. Sling it, less vibrations, and Safe from water! :)

I never felt happy with SLR in a box like that because if you hit a bump it can exagerrate the movement.
It would probably be OK if you could damp the movement with other soft items such as rolled up clothing.

A tank bag is a smoother point to ride but a lot of them feature magnets which could affect the compass..
Some of the backpacks intended for camera gear might be best option but not the most practical - however you could use off the bike too and for many years with other items, so worth considering.

If you're on smooth roads a tank bag would be fine, better than top box. If they're bumpy roads would recommend backpack.
I've managed to dislodge focusing screen on slr in tank bag (over 3000km of gravel road though).
Have camera backpack for mavic, haven't been on bike trip yet...

Thank you guys!
I really appreciate all the advices and tips.
I take note of everything.
As I said, I have a MC-Case, the Explorer Edition, and it has plenty of room for 99% of all I need. And it's incredibly small, sturdy and shock-proof. Unfortunately it's not the best option for the bike. I didn't realize this caveat at the moment of purchase. Yet it's a great choice indeed but on hand or seat of a car.

My conclusion is I'll evaluate some backpack options.

For those who has bikes, ride safe!
For everybody, fly safe! ;)

Reactions: Vacation guy
Lucky !

Reactions: Vacation guy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke