DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic flew off today in the NV wilderness

I would definitely be up for the excursion if I was in town, but won't be until the end of Jan. Hopefully some of the other Vegas guys will team up and make the trip.

What would be a good landmark for meetup that is somewhat close to the area? I want to google directions to see how far it would be for me .

Exit 112 on I-15 North, about 10 miles west of Mesquite, NV, is the exit to get there. You have to follow that road until it crosses the Virgin River, and then turn right on Gold Butte Road. From there, it's about 20-30 minutes down that road before there are some signs. There is a right hand turn that can be made that I think is the second sign, but there is another road that goes to the area from a landmark called "Devil's Throat." Both of those routes follow some fairly rough dirt roads, and then a right hand turn has to be made on a road that is supposedly called, "Mud Wash Road." It is 1.7 miles long and ends in a flat area where I parked and used as home for the flight.

Got family in town, if it was any other time I'd b happy to help out. If after the first it's still out there, I'd b happy to help out!

I'm in Vegas and down to meet up some local this weekend for the hunt.

Edit: My car won't be able to make on the dirt roads lol.. We will need someone with a truck or 4x4 to carpool the group.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1man1drone_
I love the thread...I hope you find it! For some others on this thread...quit being so sensitive.

I will be down there in 3-4 weeks, hopefully with my new mavic.(if they ever ship it to me) If you haven't found it by then maybe I could look for it. If it goes that long without finding it you could post the coordinates you have. It will probably be one of us that finds it from the coordinates so we would return it to you. At that point it would be your best option

Agreed that the low prices of recent drones is bringing uneducated drone operators in Canada and USA and need to have a licence like getting a gun before they can buy or fly a drone. Then they would realize they cannot fly out of Visual Line Od Sight (VLOS), it is illegal. And cannot fly over people, have to be horizontally at least 100 feet from people, roads, buildings, and in Canada unless you have SFOC you have to be 5Kms away from any built up area (multi building, road, train track, 9kms from airport) so the better choice is to make individuals learn rules and pass tests then give licence to candidate then they can buy a drone. Then people will know you cannot fly in parks or cities etc. And won't cause further over-regulating in drones, when the people who are licensed and obeying the rules are already over-regulated!

Then they would realize they cannot fly out of Visual Line Od Sight (VLOS), it is illegal!

It is NOT illegal in the US for hobbyist operators!!

I'm very careful not to comment about laws and regulations in other countries. I respectfully ask you and other non-US operators to do the same please

Oh.... just to clarify, you do not need a license to purchase a firearm here in the United States

I'm very careful not to comment about laws and regulations in other countries. I respectfully ask you and other non-US operators to do the same please

Oh.... just to clarify, you do not need a license to purchase a firearm here in the United States

Well said Droningon!

Agreed!
I wont add further comments as I could type volumes on the subject , but want to keep the thread on track and am waiting for the reconnaissance mission photos, video, and commentary.

Hope @utahlasvegas can enlist the help of locals and build a drone recovery posse.

As long as there is even one rule breaking drone operator out there, above comments are more than helpful.
How are they helpful. In the context of this thread. Pretty simple they aren't. Everyone here knows that there are a few on here that take every opportunity to stand in the pulpit and preach. It's pretty annoying! quit hijacking threads. If you want to start a topic, go ahead and do it. That way the people who are interested in your topic can post on it. I know it's a novel idea isn't it!

Why were you flying it a mile away? FAA regulations say you must fly within vlos at all times.
If you were flying around Red Rocks then you were doing so illegally as it is a National Park. I tried a few years ago and the Ranger stopped me.
Hopefully, you will learn from this and never fly beyond vlos!
And the boy scout / drone police have arrived...the guy is flying in a remote uninhabited area and YOU just can't resist the opportunity to bust his balls...people like you make me sick. Mind your own business and go back to rock collecting in your parents basement.

And the boy scout / drone police have arrived...the guy is flying in a remote uninhabited area and YOU just can't resist the opportunity to bust his balls...people like you make me sick. Mind your own business and go back to rock collecting in your parents basement.
64da0bdbc522c9818220c5bd31ce0b76.jpg

Love that last sentence! GET EM!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Actually he is busy this weekend, driving the interstate, in the left lane, at the exact speed limit.

With one of his followers, riding shotgun in the adjacent lane they will be very busy, making sure we are all enjoying a safe and stress free Holiday weekend.

So many rules and so little time to enforce them all. Bah, Humbug.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54