DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic flew off today in the NV wilderness

I have flown out in the Southwest many times, that's why I use a Marco Polo tracker, no cell signal in a lot of those areas. I boondock in my RV and use a 4X4 to get into the back country to fly. No one bothers you about flying in there. I sure hope you find your Mavic, at least you don't have to worry about someone else stumbling onto it before you get to it. As for the maps, as others have said, Goggle Earth Pro is your friend, I just punched in your GPS numbers and it popped up, just wanted to see where it was last reported. I wish I was RV'ing in the area, I am/was a rock climber and still have a lot of gear, together we would have it in no time, good luck Pilot.

Last edited:
My knee still hurts, and the brains of the transmission of my truck is messed up and wants to be in 5th gear all the time, so I haven't made it out there yet. I did call DJI, and they want to analyze my flight log and might help me out. I'm running out of time for my 1400 mile drive to my mom's house for Christmas, so the drone might end up being left up there until I have fresh legs again and can go try to find it. After looking at Google Earth really closely, it looks like a pretty dangerous climb.

Reactions: Sean
If that is the case maybe the mods should scrub the location data from all the posts to keep lurkers here from going on a scavenger hunt without telling you...

If that is the case maybe the mods should scrub the location data from all the posts to keep lurkers here from going on a scavenger hunt without telling you...
"There be gold in dare hills I tell thee"!

When he gets up there he may find a scavenger with his Mavic, possibly stuck down a ravine doing his own remake of 127 hours...

Reactions: BD0G and erkme73
"There be gold in dare hills I tell thee"!

When he gets up there he may find a scavenger with his Mavic, possibly stuck down a ravine doing his own remake of 127 hours...

And that level of karma would most certainly be worth the $1000 price of admission. Let's hope not. I'd just hate to think we created a treasure map for the whole world to see. Are there any of us MP forum members nearby who could help him out? At a minimum run a scout flight to verify the location?

The road getting to where I was at is rough as hell, & the Mavic is probably broken. I'm not sure it would be worth it for someone to go try to find it. It's about a 3 hour drive from Vegas, and it's pretty difficult to reach. Then, after arriving, it would require an hour of walking and a bunch of rock climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: PropPilot
Hi, I've had my Mavic for about a week now and was flying this evening at a beautiful little spot north of Lake Mead. I had it out almost a mile away while sunset was lighting up these red rock formations. Then, the app lit up and said that my battery was getting cold, so I hit the return to home button,

How cold was it? Just curious as to what the battery can handle this time of year.

I've read several posts of people flying their Mavics in temperatures around zero and below, this makes me think twice about doing it myself if the battery gets cold enough that it won't come home.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

"Turn off O/A, What is O/A?"

It's object avoidance, and I'm pretty sure that I had it turned on. At least it was on when I first started flying it, and I never turned it off.

Then it may well have landed. If it saw the hill, and couldn't go above it (due to the height restrictions) it may have hovered until the battery hit critical level and it gently landed on its own. Fingers crossed.

So let me see if I have this right...say you have RTH set at 300 feet. And max altitude set at 400 feet. And it comes to a mountain thats 450 feet. It wont fly above that? It will just land? I know it isnt legal, but why not just set you max altitude to like 800 feet and be aware when your flying not to go above 400.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Healeyho
"I know it isnt legal, but why not just set you max altitude to like 800 feet and be aware when your flying not to go above 400."

I'm a total noob, but I thought it would go around the mountain. My home spot was probably the lowest part of the area, kind of down in the bottom of a flat valley.

"I know it isnt legal, but why not just set you max altitude to like 800 feet and be aware when your flying not to go above 400."

I'm a total noob, but I thought it would go around the mountain. My home spot was probably the lowest part of the area, kind of down in the bottom of a flat valley.

I as much of a noob as you. Im just wondering if that would have worked?

Precisely. And that's one of the things I recommended earlier. By default, the max ceiling it's set to 400 feet. You can set it to 500m (1500' or there about). That's the first thing I did. I always set the RTH to at least 100' higher than the tallest object around.

Precisely. And that's one of the things I recommended earlier. By default, the max ceiling it's set to 400 feet. You can set it to 500m (1500' or there about). That's the first thing I did. I always set the RTH to at least 100' higher than the tallest object around.

Well what if you dont know what the tallest object is? Cant you just set it to the highest the mavic is capable of flying for safety reason?

Setting the max altitude ceiling to the 500m is a no-brainer. Setting the RTH to that height is asking for trouble. 1500' up puts it in very real contention with manned aircraft, and having a no-connection, non line-of-sight MP flying up that high would be reckless a best. It really shouldn't be too difficult to get a rough estimate of the max height of structures and/or buildings/towers in your flying area. Between terrain maps (google maps is actually quite accurate) and counting stories on buildings, it should be doable.

This is a neat site that will let you determine the elevation at any point on earth: Elevation Finder

The OP's home point shows an elevation of 1814 feet. The point of (presumed) impact shows 2242 ft (give or take a few depending on where on the hill it tried to pass). Difference: 428 feet. That sucks.

Reactions: Sean and ACR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13