DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic "Junior" is not stable when inside, any suggestions?

Skyler King III

Reactions
I was at a shoot yesterday, inside a home. No electronics around, no cordless phones etc, computers etc.

I wanted to take a panorama but the mavic was drifting 2 feet here and there and climbing and descending 1 foot,

I at VPS on, and OBS off.

I was using LITCHI.

I gave up on Junior and set in my Phantom 4 Pro. Stable as a rock with no drift.

All calibrations etc are OK on Junior and he's up to date on all Firmware.

Took Junior outside and he was stable as a rock. Any ideas?

A home with no electronics around? - hardly possible these days... VPS needs good lighting to be stable, could this be the problem?

I said INSIDE A HOME not "at home", it was a vacant house. No TV, no internet, no cordless phones. Very good natural and artificial light. Floor beneath it has patterns/texture. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sounds strange that the Mavic was not as stable as the P4P, but I have no experience with the Phantom. Does it use the same means of positioning when GPS is not available?

Keep it outside since that's what it was made for? [emoji6]

Keep it outside since that's what it was made for? [emoji6]
Hey Wise-cracker....It's not "made for outside". I regularly shoot indoors with my Phantom4 and 4 Pro, it's not uncommon....I know....You were joking....

It's most certainly made for the outdoors. Its GPS sensitivity (to noise) is its biggest weakness, meaning there should be no walls or ceiling around (ie. indoors). Its VPS is also limited to about 5 ft up and the ground must have salient texture or coloration. Just cause it's small doesn't mean it should operate better inside. I don't know if it's been proven but suspect P4 has bigger (and therefore better) VPS and GPS sensors due to its size.

It's most certainly made for the outdoors. Its GPS sensitivity (to noise) is its biggest weakness, meaning there should be no walls or ceiling around (ie. indoors). Its VPS is also limited to about 5 ft up and the ground must have salient texture or coloration. Just cause it's small doesn't mean it should operate better inside. I don't know if it's been proven but suspect P4 has bigger (and therefore better) VPS and GPS sensors due to its size.
"Whatever" I participate in this forum to learn and to share what I know. Not to argue. Have a great weekend.

I was at a shoot yesterday, inside a home. No electronics around, no cordless phones etc, computers etc.

I wanted to take a panorama but the mavic was drifting 2 feet here and there and climbing and descending 1 foot,

I at VPS on, and OBS off.

I was using LITCHI.

I gave up on Junior and set in my Phantom 4 Pro. Stable as a rock with no drift.

All calibrations etc are OK on Junior and he's up to date on all Firmware.

Took Junior outside and he was stable as a rock. Any ideas?

I like the 'Junior' name, I initially called mine Thunderhawk but I keep calling it Billy, the name my friend's toddler gave to their Roomba.

I don't have a Phantom but your experience sounds typical of the two drones in that the Phantom is very stable in OPTI/ATTI mode while the Mavic noticeably drifts. DJI haven't really said much about it but what may be significant is that the Phantom can be switched to ATTI mode manually but the Mavic can't and DJI have said they're not planning to add the option either.

Reactions: Rbruz
I like the 'Junior' name, I initially called mine Thunderhawk but I keep calling it Billy, the name my friend's toddler gave to their Roomba.

I don't have a Phantom but your experience sounds typical of the two drones in that the Phantom is very stable in OPTI/ATTI mode while the Mavic noticeably drifts. DJI haven't really said much about it but what may be significant is that the Phantom can be switched to ATTI mode manually but the Mavic can't and DJI have said they're not planning to add the option either.
Thanks for the reply. I post update when I try theMavic indoors at other locations.

Same issue here Skyler.. all things aside my home is full of electronics. But I will say that just days prior it flew rock solid indoors in ATTI. Wonder why it has changed drastically since? No new editions as far as electronics and flew in a larger area of the house as I did prior with no ill effect. If you happen upon the answer and info you could share would be greatly appreciated. Many thanx

I didn't check Kp....But I'll test more locations and very you know. The past it misbehaved is as from electrical interference as it gets.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Same issue here Skyler.. all things aside my home is full of electronics. But I will say that just days prior it flew rock solid indoors in ATTI. Wonder why it has changed drastically since? No new editions as far as electronics and flew in a larger area of the house as I did prior with no ill effect. If you happen upon the answer and info you could share would be greatly appreciated. Many thanx

Wish I could explain. My Mavic has hovered rock solid indoors several times. Now in the same spot with no changes, instead of hovering to 4 feet like it always has, it kept gradually climbing until it hit the ceiling and moving the sticks did nothing. Would love to know why this happened.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78