DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Wife to my rescue.

locoman

Reactions
We had a couple of warm days last week and yesterday day I notice water spotting in the ceiling of my living room. I live in western Wisconsin. Look up on the roof and noticed some some ice damning along the gutters. So got the roof rake out and scraped off the snow along the edge of the roof, but still couldn't see what was going on. Though about climbing up on the roof to do a better check and then my wife suggested I get my MP out and take a look at the roof. :eek:o_O:cool:

So got my MP out and flew around over the roof taking a video. Down loaded it to my computer and reviewed it. Discovered that the ice dam was not the problem. But a part of the roof near the ridge, up from the stains, was all melted off and was possibly where the water was getting in, then the water must have followed the rafter all the way down along the wall, dripping off at a couple of spots onto the ceiling. So ... come spring, I have a good idea where I need to look, for where the water was getting under the roofing so I can fix it. :)

That's awesome, great use of the MP!

I had something similar happen last year at my in-laws house. They have a real nice spread up there, but were experiencing some roof leaking, and it just happened to coincide with a seam in their roof-line. I actually owned a different quad ( Yuneec Q500+), back then, and used it to see if I could see the cause of the leak. The flight revealed a MASSIVE amount of leaves that had been storing there for years. It had been up there long enough to decompose, and turn into about a yard of mulch! Their gutter / roof cleaner guy had been slacking apparently, and you couldn't see it from the ground.

Long story short, I was able to get up there, get the mess cleaned up, and repaired the roof!!

We had a couple of warm days last week and yesterday day I notice water spotting in the ceiling of my living room. I live in western Wisconsin. Look up on the roof and noticed some some ice damning along the gutters. So got the roof rake out and scraped off the snow along the edge of the roof, but still couldn't see what was going on. Though about climbing up on the roof to do a better check and then my wife suggested I get my MP out and take a look at the roof. :eek:o_O:cool:

So got my MP out and flew around over the roof taking a video. Down loaded it to my computer and reviewed it. Discovered that the ice dam was not the problem. But a part of the roof near the ridge, up from the stains, was all melted off and was possibly where the water was getting in, then the water must have followed the rafter all the way down along the wall, dripping off at a couple of spots onto the ceiling. So ... come spring, I have a good idea where I need to look, for where the water was getting under the roofing so I can fix it. :)

We've got some home inspectors using drones to check roofs and chimney pointing in my area. They used to use binoculars to avoid climbing...but I think they...and your wife.. Have a great idea !

Very true! my neighbor had a house inspection last year and the fella was using a p4p! He was able to show me the zoomed closeups of the roof tiles. Amazing! He said it makes the job much safer and easier.

Thanks for the comments.

I told you wife yesterday, about this post. She was quite pleased. Right from the start, she has been supportive of my Mavic, that is, except for the times I have buzzed her while she was walking her dog.:oops:

Reactions: Zyskman78
Have used mine a few times for this exact same reason! Deductions led to an eventual decision to remove and re-do old crappy insulation with proper insulation to eliminate the problem. So yay the drone helped determine that..and darn it insulation work sucks. I now need a spray foam drone...

Reactions: Zyskman78
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scout Aerial