DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters are amazing!!!

I shot this this weekend, it is a mixture of Mavic and P4P, the opening shot is Mavic as well as the waterfall. I feel like they look pretty good, maybe a bit dark but that's just style preference...
Beautiful shots, thanks for sharing. That waterfall is epic.
If you don't mind me asking, how high do you think you were at around 2:55 when you are above the trees and pulling back from the sun peeking over the mountain? It's a cool shot. I also liked the reveal you did from looking straight down at the trees and then tilting the cam up.

I shot this this weekend, it is a mixture of Mavic and P4P, the opening shot is Mavic as well as the waterfall. I feel like they look pretty good, maybe a bit dark but that's just style preference.
Really, really good stuff here. Well planned and executed!

I shot this this weekend, it is a mixture of Mavic and P4P, the opening shot is Mavic as well as the waterfall. I feel like they look pretty good, maybe a bit dark but that's just style preference.

Not to hijack your thread, but why Vimeo vs. YouTube? Is there a compelling reason for one over the other? I find that the embedded Vimeo videos don't offer full screen option unless you click through to the actual Vimeo page.

Not to hijack your thread, but why Vimeo vs. YouTube? Is there a compelling reason for one over the other? I find that the embedded Vimeo videos don't offer full screen option unless you click through to the actual Vimeo page.
While I'm not the OP, from personal experience, while I use both, I prefer Vimeo. There's just a lot less ********. It's just a video site. It's not a social media site and I find my videos seem to get propagated less, if I don't want them to. If you are looking to build a following, generate revenue, expand a social presence than yeah, YouTube is better. It's one click on the vimeo logo to get you to their page where you have more options, or you can watch the embedded version if there isn't a full screen button (sometimes there is, I think). In any case, it's good to have the choice!

One last thing, if you don't pay, then YouTube is a better free service. To make Vimeo easier to use, you have to pay. Although it does offer free service, you get better functionality and control if you subscribe. $.02

Filters are great but try playing around with the manual settings/options.

Also, I think it's almost certain that you'll need to color grade or edit in post to make your images look at the best. No camera produces wow factor/popping images straight out of the box.

Mesmerising clip mate. Nice one.

Just adding my 2 cents in agreement with the OP:
When I received my Mavic late November I was impressed with the video quality. Then winter set in and we are snow-covered until early April. All of a sudden I had terrible Jello in my videos and I was very concerned of having a serious problem.
Then, after some serious Googling and watching YouTube videos, I understood what rolling shutter is all about (I am a total video newbie).
Ordered a set of ND filters and we're back to rock-solid footage again (over 100 flights now).

I did some observing of shutter speed at ISO 100 and I do the following to keep shutter speed at reasonable values (avoid Jello and maintain smooth footage):
- good daylight with fairly recent snow (means more % snow coverage on roofs, roads etc): ND8 does the job with a shutter speed typically between 1/50 and 1/100
- somewhat cloudy and/or no recent snow: sometimes ND8 and sometimes ND4
- somber, gray clouds and fair bit of snow: ND4

When summer comes around I suspect that I will most of the time go with ND8 and ND4, depending light conditions and probably go "naked" in dull weather.

So in conclusion I totally agree that ND filters are highly recommended with the fixed large aperture Mavic lens and pretty much a must for very bright settings (high % coverage of snow, white beaches etc.).

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Yes ND filters are amazing. Check out my video using polarpro filters giving it the film look.

I, like many of you on the forums have seen the numerous posts about poor video quality, (watercolor like video, soft or mushy video. noise). And was starting to think I my have a lemon as well. I was getting bad moire, as well as mushy footage especially with lots of trees. I was also getting grain/noise even in good light. I learned about shooting manually and doubling the shutter speed of my frame rate, I noticed a big difference when I did that but everything was super overexposed. So I ordered ND filters from Taco RC and BAM! Everything looks so crisp and clear now. It's solved all those issues and now I know that it wasn't a bad Mavic but me needing to learn to be a better videographer. Hopefully some of this information can help any of you that might be struggling with similar issues.

So If I am shooting video manually I double the shutter speed of my frame rate and apply a filter?.

I have a set of Polar Pro ND filters, ND4, ND8 & ND16.
What's the trick?

I, like many of you on the forums have seen the numerous posts about poor video quality, (watercolor like video, soft or mushy video. noise). And was starting to think I my have a lemon as well. I was getting bad moire, as well as mushy footage especially with lots of trees. I was also getting grain/noise even in good light. I learned about shooting manually and doubling the shutter speed of my frame rate, I noticed a big difference when I did that but everything was super overexposed. So I ordered ND filters from Taco RC and BAM! Everything looks so crisp and clear now. It's solved all those issues and now I know that it wasn't a bad Mavic but me needing to learn to be a better videographer. Hopefully some of this information can help any of you that might be struggling with similar issues.
did you get the DJI filters or other brands I heard they may be too heavy for the gimble motor, I bought the dji filters which are a lot lighter but hopefully as good in quality?

So If I am shooting video manually I double the shutter speed of my frame rate and apply a filter?.

What's the trick?
180° rule.
When shooting at 24fps,set shutter to 1/50s
25fps 1/50s
30fps 1/60s
60fps/120s

did you get the DJI filters or other brands I heard they may be too heavy for the gimble motor, I bought the dji filters which are a lot lighter but hopefully as good in quality?

I have used PolarPro Cinema Series Vivid with no issues. There are older, heavier versions of those filters that had problems, the new ones work well.

180° rule.
When shooting at 24fps,set shutter to 1/50s
25fps 1/50s
30fps 1/60s
60fps/120s

Is there a "shutter priority" mode on Mavic where you fix shutter speed and ISO varies accordingly?

Reactions: KiterTodd
Is there a "shutter priority" mode on Mavic where you fix shutter speed and ISO varies accordingly?
You set your frame rate to 30, your ISO to 100, then set your shutter speed to 60. If your video is too light you add the appropriate ND filter to get the right lighting for those settings. you can adjust the shutter speed a little to get the perfect lighting.

Reactions: KiterTodd

What's the trick?
Yes, in bright light you need a filter so you can lower your shutter speed. Without the filter you will never get the shutter speed down to 60 without having blown out videos

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1