DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND vs ND/PL filters??

Thanks Oliver. Price has been what's holding me off, the Cinema 6-pack is just more than I want to spend. The price and quality varies my mfr., of course, but PP appears to be the leader. I currently use a Freewell CPL filter I use as a sort-of lens saver; it works well simply in that the Mavic calibrates properly and the images look pretty good overall unless it's way too sunny, I believe Freewell's quality may not be as high as PolarPro's, so I'll keep searching for a deal until I find one.

You're welcome, and it's good to see you're doing some research and shopping around before you make any purchases. If you have any questions about the specifics of our filters please don't hesitate to send us an email, or message us directly on here.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Received the PP Cinema 6-pack from Amazon.com today. Can't wait to try them out.

Thanks Oliver. Price has been what's holding me off, the Cinema 6-pack is just more than I want to spend. The price and quality varies my mfr., of course, but PP appears to be the leader. I currently use a Freewell CPL filter I use as a sort-of lens saver; it works well simply in that the Mavic calibrates properly and the images look pretty good overall unless it's way too sunny, I believe Freewell's quality may not be as high as PolarPro's, so I'll keep searching for a deal until I find one.

You can custom order a 3 pack from Polar Pro with just the 3 specific filters you want for your work.

Reactions: robbiewex
Usually increasing the shutter speed poses no issues in terms of getting quality footage, all that does is decrease the amount of light hitting the camera sensor.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Oliver, everything I've ever read re achieving "cinematic" footage is that the shutter speed should be twice the fps, i.e., 1/60th if the OP is shooting 4k@30fps.

In addition, re post-production, most people that I've read lean toward slight underexposure as "I can deal with underexposure in post but can do nothing with overexposure."

As a result, in addition to the 4, 8, and 16 in the Vivid series, I bought the 32 ND-PL for $29.99 separately, as like the OP I found that during the day here in LA the ND16-PL was consistently giving me overexposure -- beginning with the second hour after sunrise and extending all the way to the second to the last hour before sundown.

In view of the fabulous results that I get with the 32 ND-PL, I'd recommend that he compare adjusting the shutter speed with the ND16-PL with using the ND32-PL. Given that Polar Pro has a 60-day return policy, he has nothing to lose

Reactions: tictag
You can custom order a 3 pack from Polar Pro with just the 3 specific filters you want for your work.

So one could order a 3-pack consisting of an 8, 16 and 32, all ND-PL, for $79.99, including Polar Pro's very nice plastic case?

Reactions: MikeF1
So one could order a 3-pack consisting of an 8, 16 and 32, all ND-PL, for $79.99, including Polar Pro's very nice plastic case?

They actually have a 3 or a 4 pack of custom selected filters at Polar Pro. For the Mavic Air however, in some filter styles it appears they are now out of stock until Mid-March. I can't speak highly enough for Polar Pro and their customer service! They are world class in their customer support!!!
PolarProCuston.jpg

Last edited:
ok, this may have been answered, but I did not see it, or did not recognize the answer. if i could only buy 3 filters for my mavic air, would the nd set of 4,8,16 be better than the nd/pl set. i am a casual photographer if that makes any difference, sorry if this was answered, i just want to buy the set that will suit my needs with the least amount have hassle.

ok, this may have been answered, but I did not see it, or did not recognize the answer. if i could only buy 3 filters for my mavic air, would the nd set of 4,8,16 be better than the nd/pl set. i am a casual photographer if that makes any difference, sorry if this was answered, i just want to buy the set that will suit my needs with the least amount have hassle.

There are many opinions on this and it really just comes down to the look you are trying to achieve. The Vivid (ND/PL's) will reduce glare which increases color saturation and contrast giving your image more punch. The Shutter collection (Straight ND's) will not change the color profile in any way, leaving everything flat. So it really just comes down to what you want your end result to look like. Most people have both, I personally shoot the Vivid Collection most often. -Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: ZooCougar
Hello All!

So I recently bought the shutter collection, but I’ve been reading reviews saying that the PL filters give you a much clearer and crisper video on the Mavic Pro. Is this true? Or should the video quality be the same.

I only opted for the regular ND because I tend to use footage from other cameras and read that it’s better to use ND filters for when trying to match colors and luts.

Hello All!

So I recently bought the shutter collection, but I’ve been reading reviews saying that the PL filters give you a much clearer and crisper video on the Mavic Pro. Is this true? Or should the video quality be the same.

I only opted for the regular ND because I tend to use footage from other cameras and read that it’s better to use ND filters for when trying to match colors and luts.
The ND/PL's will definitely reduce glare which increases color saturation and contrast. If you are filming in LOG you should still be able to match other cameras pretty well. If you are not filming in LOG it will be a little harder to match due to the increased color saturation from the polarizing element.

If you have any specific questions let me know!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Darn, so it looks like i purchased the wrong set :(.

is it true that the video quality comes out better using the ND/PL? I have heard the video is MUCH more clear and crisp using the PLs over the regular ND. I have also seen the footage from both and it seems to be a lot less noisy when they use the PLs. I do understand that people use a lot of things in post editing but through my research it seems that the quality does in fact come out better with the PLs, not just the saturation and contrast.

Thoughts? Thank you for your help Jeff

Darn, so it looks like i purchased the wrong set :(.

is it true that the video quality comes out better using the ND/PL? I have heard the video is MUCH more clear and crisp using the PLs over the regular ND. I have also seen the footage from both and it seems to be a lot less noisy when they use the PLs. I do understand that people use a lot of things in post editing but through my research it seems that the quality does in fact come out better with the PLs, not just the saturation and contrast.

Thoughts? Thank you for your help Jeff

Video quality is often a very subjective term. The Vivid Collection and the Shutter Collection use the same glass and have the same refractive indexes so image resolution is the same. There will be no noise difference, an ND8 and ND8/PL will yield the same result in terms of noise (Which there should be none of). The only difference is ND/PL's reduce glare, which in turn can increase color saturation and contrast giving it a more poppy look. It all depends on what look you are going for with each specific shot.
-Jeff from PolarPro

Got it!

Pretty bummed I was under the impression that since I was matching other cameras that I should purchase the shutter over the vivid. I have the 4,8,16, and 32.

Got it!

Pretty bummed I was under the impression that since I was matching other cameras that I should purchase the shutter over the vivid. I have the 4,8,16, and 32.

I have the Vivid 4 8 16 32 64, and I use them all here in LA, except at night.

I get fabulous results with no color correction in post.

I use only the normal settings with the Mavic Pro.

If you are within 60 days of purchase, Polar Pro will accept a return/exchange, if the policy hasn't changed recently.

Man, unfortunately don’t have the receipt. Have all original packaging but not receipts. Guess I should have done more research

I shoot out in Orange County! Definitely love polar pro though. Their products and customer service are next to none.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer