DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND vs ND/PL filters??

If I need production value to be very high and have my content look perfect, I will align the polarizer for each shot. This requires you to set the polarizer, get your shot, bring it back down, and align it for the next shot. It takes some effort, but if I need my videos to be perfect this is how I do it.

If I am just flying for fun, I set the polarizer once and leave it. It still helps out a lot in this setting, and will not degrade image quality in any way.

Hope that helps!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Hi Jeff.
I Just got the Polarpro vivid collection (ND/PL4, 6 and 8) and just sceptical on whether I should exchange them for the ND ones, unless when set at a certain angle these can act as only ND?
Thanks

The polarizer will always be working, even at a minimum orientation, so you will generally always see at least slightly increased saturation.
The Shutter (ND) filters will always be neutral for easier grading and matching to other cameras (unless you are using polarizers on your other cameras).

Hope that makes sense, if not, just let me know!
-Jeff from PolarPro
Hi. The filters also working in all auto mode on mavic 2 zoom? I just flying for fun. Should I buy some anyways?

Hi Jeff.
I Just got the Polarpro vivid collection (ND/PL4, 6 and 8) and just sceptical on whether I should exchange them for the ND ones, unless when set at a certain angle these can act as only ND?
Thanks
If you could stack filters as you can on a dSLR then the answer would be yes but we can't. My view is that an ND filter seems to be needed for nearly all my filming as I only fly in good light and I also want to have a PL available even if it is a hassle to set up the shot and filter mounting. Therefore I have no choice but to use my Polar Pro NDPL filters. I would say I have one on for 90%+ of my filming. If I had money to burn then maybe I would have two sets but a set of non polarised filters is way, way down any wish list.

The only caveat is that if you are a perfectionist you might not like the fact that all the footage from a flight might not look exactly the same as the polarising effect will kick in at certain incidences to the sun. To be honest I have hardly ever noticed this because you get natural changes in saturation as you fly around anyway. If you did notice the sky suddenly darkening you would have to edit those frames out I suppose. I have always thought that mine were the cinema series but I am not sure about the differences between the Cinema and Vivid series. I assume that Vivid just means they are polarised.

Edit: oops, just noticed I have replied to an old post - what a waste of time ;)

Reactions: ayapov and JDawg
Edit: oops, just noticed I have replied to an old post - what a waste of time ;)

Umm, not really a “waste of time,” if you ask me. No doubt many of us just entering the wonderful, but confusing, world of ND filters, find it helpful to hear other perspectives on the subject, especially from those in the know; those with more experience.

Ray Jay

Last edited:
Reactions: JDawg
Hi Jeff.
Thanks
The polarization on the ND/PL's will always be there, there really is not an off position, think of it as max and min. Where at minimum it is still polarizing light, and you are getting some increased saturation and contrast. The ND/PL's are still a solid set though and I find myself going for those often. Hope that helps! -Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: ayapov
Hi. The filters also working in all auto mode on mavic 2 zoom? I just flying for fun. Should I buy some anyways?
They do work on auto mode, I would challenge you to try learning about filming at the 180 degree rule of shutter in manual mode and slowly learn what the filters are doing. I look forward to see your videos progress! Check out our Youtube Channel for a lot of great videos on this subject. Start with this one:
Hope this helps! -Jeff from PolarPro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian