DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need to vent...

Palisade

Reactions
My son and I were skiing up on the north shore of Lake Superior on a beautiful January day. (Yes, mid-30's in Minnesota in January is beautiful and rare!) On our return drive, we stopped at Palisade Head, a beautiful 900+ foot cliff on the banks of Lake Superior. With my son's Mavic Air 2 in hand, I wanted to get some pictures and video for my investment firm, Palisade Wealth. We've been at Palisade before and took some great video and pictures of the spot. But today did not end on a happy note.

As my son flew his Air 2 over Lake Superior and as we stood on top of the cliff, the drone went into a "landing mode" He tried to "over-ride" the drone as it descended over the lake. Forced to act quickly, the only option was to find "dry land" at the base of the 900' cliff. (the drone would not ascend back to it's original starting location) Thinking we could hike to it's documented location, I began descending the cliff to hike around to the lake shore on the north. Unfortunately, we found the cliff to drop directly into the water; no access to the rocks beneath our location. ONLY OPTION: experienced climbers to descend the cliff or access the rocks below by watercraft. Let me remind you, it's mid-January!

Nearly 3 weeks later and a break in the winter weather, I decided to not give up on the Air 2! (watching my son's face as it descended in mid-January crushed me; he's 20 and paid for this drone with proceeds from H.S. "Senior Pictures" over the summer of '20)

I contacted the MN State Park office and discussed my plans with the ranger. On the day of the scheduled recovery, I informed them of my entering the lake by kayak. Pulling the kayak through over a foot of snow, I entered Lake Superior with a roughly 1/2 mile paddle to the cliff's edge and rocks I hoped the drone would be sitting on. Docking the kayak and climbing out, I stepped 6 feet and found the Air 2 partially lodged between 2 large rocks. I spent roughly 30 minutes taking in the beauty of this spot and the successful recover.

Two weeks prior to the recovery, we contacted DJI and submitted the "flight history" for review. Hoping DJI would find the origin of the malfunction, they could not diagnose the reason WITHOUT physically assessing the drone. Needing overhead shots for a mid-February job for the world's largest hockey equipment manufacturer, I instructed my son to order the replacement from DJI with the discount they provided. (-15% off drone, battery)

Back to the recovery, I returned home with the recovered drone; it was determined that there was a battery issue along with the gimbal needing re-calibration.

In contacting DJI once again via phone, I was connected to a customer service personnel that was, well, a (Mod Removed)I had MANY questions as we were soon to have 2 drones. (the replacement was on it's way via UPS) All said, I explained in-detail the possible different scenarios to our story. Not able to answer my questions, the customer service personnel hung-up on me!!! I immediately contacted DJI online support and requested a supervisor and began to explain/summarize the above story. They proceeded to have me open a new ticket for repair online.

After a wait of 3 business days, I contacted DJI again asking for the shipping instructions and label for the recovered drone. I was then told that "THIS CASE IS CLOSED; you should have received an email" (no email...) What DJI was telling me is I had no options for repair of the recovered drone NOR could I return the return the newly delivered drone that had not even arrived at my home. "What the actual (Mod Removed Inappropriate Langage)

My question to this group is:
Drone approach.jpgDrone landing spot.jpgDrone.jpg
(1) Have you heard of a malfunction like this? (some say the drone was "confused" because we launched and operated the drone at a spot "higher" than where the drone was actually flying)

(2) Any tips on how to go about pressing DJI to "do the right thing?"

I don't think this story is over; I don't take it well when I spend $$ and get ( Mod Removed)all at one time!

I welcome your comments!
Drone approach.jpgDrone landing spot.jpgDrone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.... Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Starting out with a great recovery story and throw in some spice of the DJI support.

We have some experts on here and they might be asking to see your flight files.

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D ... even though it's under these sad circumstances.

Advice you to start up a new thread in the section "Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance" ... so we can keep it nice & tidy here & make it easier for others to find & learn. There directly include the mobile device .TXT log (it's stored in the mobile device you flew with). Read up here on how to retrieve --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (read under section 3.)

One disclaimer though ... DJI have since the FLY app version 1.2.2 changed the log encryption which make it harder for us to investigate ...

Negative heights should not be a problem, I am fairly sure I have had my phantom at -90ft or metres, can't remember which but thinking about the locations I would guess metres, I want to try Slieve League or the Cliffs of Mohr someday and both will be top down and climb back up flights.
I am sure I have read of greater negative heights in here with more modern drones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Palisade.

Good story and hopefully it will have a happy ending as it continues.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D ... even though it's under these sad circumstances.

Advice you to start up a new thread in the section "Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance" ... so we can keep it nice & tidy here & make it easier for others to find & learn. There directly include the mobile device .TXT log (it's stored in the mobile device you flew with). Read up here on how to retrieve --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (read under section 3.)

One disclaimer though ... DJI have since the FLY app version 1.2.2 changed the log encryption which make it harder for us to investigate ...
No need to start another I moved it there.?
Also @Palisade please read our guidelines on posting so
i don’t have to edit your post. Thanks.
dc

My son and I were skiing up on the north shore of Lake Superior on a beautiful January day. (Yes, mid-30's in Minnesota in January is beautiful and rare!) On our return drive, we stopped at Palisade Head, a beautiful 900+ foot cliff on the banks of Lake Superior. With my son's Mavic Air 2 in hand, I wanted to get some pictures and video for my investment firm, Palisade Wealth. We've been at Palisade before and took some great video and pictures of the spot. But today did not end on a happy note.

As my son flew his Air 2 over Lake Superior and as we stood on top of the cliff, the drone went into a "landing mode" He tried to "over-ride" the drone as it descended over the lake. Forced to act quickly, the only option was to find "dry land" at the base of the 900' cliff. (the drone would not ascend back to it's original starting location) Thinking we could hike to it's documented location, I began descending the cliff to hike around to the lake shore on the north. Unfortunately, we found the cliff to drop directly into the water; no access to the rocks beneath our location. ONLY OPTION: experienced climbers to descend the cliff or access the rocks below by watercraft. Let me remind you, it's mid-January!

Nearly 3 weeks later and a break in the winter weather, I decided to not give up on the Air 2! (watching my son's face as it descended in mid-January crushed me; he's 20 and paid for this drone with proceeds from H.S. "Senior Pictures" over the summer of '20)

I contacted the MN State Park office and discussed my plans with the ranger. On the day of the scheduled recovery, I informed them of my entering the lake by kayak. Pulling the kayak through over a foot of snow, I entered Lake Superior with a roughly 1/2 mile paddle to the cliff's edge and rocks I hoped the drone would be sitting on. Docking the kayak and climbing out, I stepped 6 feet and found the Air 2 partially lodged between 2 large rocks. I spent roughly 30 minutes taking in the beauty of this spot and the successful recover.

Two weeks prior to the recovery, we contacted DJI and submitted the "flight history" for review. Hoping DJI would find the origin of the malfunction, they could not diagnose the reason WITHOUT physically assessing the drone. Needing overhead shots for a mid-February job for the world's largest hockey equipment manufacturer, I instructed my son to order the replacement from DJI with the discount they provided. (-15% off drone, battery)

Back to the recovery, I returned home with the recovered drone; it was determined that there was a battery issue along with the gimbal needing re-calibration.

In contacting DJI once again via phone, I was connected to a customer service personnel that was, well, a (Mod Removed)I had MANY questions as we were soon to have 2 drones. (the replacement was on it's way via UPS) All said, I explained in-detail the possible different scenarios to our story. Not able to answer my questions, the customer service personnel hung-up on me!!! I immediately contacted DJI online support and requested a supervisor and began to explain/summarize the above story. They proceeded to have me open a new ticket for repair online.

After a wait of 3 business days, I contacted DJI again asking for the shipping instructions and label for the recovered drone. I was then told that "THIS CASE IS CLOSED; you should have received an email" (no email...) What DJI was telling me is I had no options for repair of the recovered drone NOR could I return the return the newly delivered drone that had not even arrived at my home. "What the actual (Mod Removed Inappropriate Langage)

My question to this group is:
View attachment 123550View attachment 123551View attachment 123552
(1) Have you heard of a malfunction like this? (some say the drone was "confused" because we launched and operated the drone at a spot "higher" than where the drone was actually flying)

(2) Any tips on how to go about pressing DJI to "do the right thing?"

I don't think this story is over; I don't take it well when I spend $$ and get ( Mod Removed)all at one time!

I welcome your comments!
View attachment 123550View attachment 123551View attachment 123552
Do you remember what the status of the battery was at the time it started to land? I live in Michigan and I am very familiar with the weather. The cold does reduce total capacity. The log would be nice.

As suggested in other replies, posting the flight log in the phone will help a lot in understanding what has happened. Negative height should not be the reason for the craft not being able to ascend unless GPS signal was bad and the craft switched to vision positioning. Under that circumstance, the height will be limited to 30 meters above the ground seen by the drone at it's location. There has been a report here on a drone descending into a valley and failed to get back because of this reason.

Definitely post your flight logs here and I’m sure the expert flight log readers here can shed some light as to what went wrong. As far as the broken ac if you don’t get anywhere talking to mainland China submit a free ticket w us. We quote the repair and you only pay if we fix free shipping both ways

Have you heard of a malfunction like this?
All you've shared is the drone auto landed without the possibility to override that action. That's a perfectly normal thing for it to do in certain scenarios.

Any tips on how to go about pressing DJI to "do the right thing?"
I'm not sure DJI should be expected to do anything until you've shown them it malfunctioned. Or does the flight log reveal something you haven't shared with us?

Sorry to hear your story.

I too wonder about the logs. How long into the flight, battery percentage. I can think of reasons why this happened but most pilot error. But in saying that you are confident it’s hardware/software malfunction I take your word and that too I am terribly interested in. Knowing the downfalls of these drones helps us all.

Can you upload your log to say Airdata UAV perhaps and send the link.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
DJI Customer Service is less than poor IMHO. They love to use the Covid excuse, which has some bearing - but like many - CS can work from home and they should be active in helping customers - which IMHO again - they don't.

My only 1 experience dealing with DJI CS was a case from hades as well. Very long wait times between emails and such, not to mention people who seemed to know nothing.

DJI has a big following and we pay some premium prices for drones and also DJI Care as well - so the extremely poor service they provide does not bode well when YOU have to actually deal with them.

I could say maybe I was an exception, but reading more posts from others having close to same experiences proves it's not a small thing. DJI needs to get its act together and provide the Customer Service experience we deserve.

I also learned that I'll never buy a "replacement" directly from DJI ever again. I'll spend the extra few dollars they throw out as "savings" to buy a drone on-line / local and get it within a few days - not a month or more as can happen when dealing with DJI Customer Service.

Dji customer service is very good until it comes to your situation and one i had last year then they will not accept responsibility no matter what proof and evidence you have.

Welcome to the Forum from Chicago the Windy City.
Sorry to hear about the drone, and DJI, as already mentioned, the service is good up to the point when pilots run into issues. I am going to do a Query on the search function, concerning DJI issues with other pilots.

Reactions: MA2 317
Dji customer service is very good until it comes to your situation and one i had last year then they will not accept responsibility no matter what proof and evidence you have.
Let me start by saying that I have no personal experience of DJI’s customer service. However, there are numerous examples on this forum of DJI replacing drones free of charge after establishing that a technical malfunction had caused a problem. Surely in those cases they accepted responsibility?

Reactions: InvisibleName
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom