DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbor went crazy on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathonmp

Reactions
So 3 weeks in to the hobby and had a neighbor now come to me angry.

last evening I was flying during sunset and shooting the sun. Well today I take off a little bit ago and I was 300 ft over her house flying forward. Not stationary mind you. Well I see this car pull up to my driveway and this woman jumps out and says are you flying a drone. I replied yes. She said well last evening we were getting ready for camping in our back yard and a drone scared my young son as he was in the tent getting ready for camping. We thought maybe its a pervert but it came right down over us. I called the police and they said they weren't using any drones.

I said well if it came right down over you guys then that wasn't me. I am flying legal when I fly. She says well ok I love in the big house with the red roof. Trying to be a hot shot the way she said that.

she then replies well they are patrolling for a drone now in the evening and night.

I am in Florida. What if any laws could I be in violation of?

last evening I was flying during sunset and shooting the sun. Well today I take off a little bit ago and I was 300 ft over her house flying forward. Not stationary mind you. Well I see this car pull up to my driveway and this woman jumps out and says are you flying a drone. I replied yes. She said well last evening we were getting ready for camping in our back yard and a drone scared my young son as he was in the tent getting ready for camping. We thought maybe its a pervert but it came right down over us. I called the police and they said they weren't using any drones.

I said well if it came right down over you guys then that wasn't me. I am flying legal when I fly. She says well ok I love in the big house with the red roof. Trying to be a hot shot the way she said that.

she then replies well they are patrolling for a drone now in the evening and night.

That's why only ONCE have I ever flown my drone in my own residential area. That's when I tested M2P indoor capability, flying from inside my house to outside. I knew things like this could happen that's why I myself don't like flying above my neighbors. I always drive to a place with open field. Even when there's a tennis court near my house, I've never taken off from it because it's in front of several houses.

Sorry you had to go through that. Generally, if you do not fly at night, over people, or over moving cars, you should be fine ... there are definitely safety reasons for that. I am known as "that guy with a drone" in my neighborhood, but I like to let people know the day before I fly and share a few pictures. That has gone a long way in building trust.

Hopefully you get a chance to make peace with your neighbor. Why would it not be you that allegedly flew right down over them? Because those props are spinning at several thousand RPM, and getting hit by those HURT ... and you do not want to have to explain to the FAA why you sent someone to the hospital or caused more than $500 in property damage.

You can't buy enough tinfoil to fix her problems. Some people go from sanity to psycho at the mere sight or sound of a drone. My neighbor's wife went psycho when I was flying over my property (28 acres) because I was close to their property (they live next door).

I feel for you! I had the same thing happen to me ;) Angry male neighbor came to my fence and yelled "if I see that drone again, I'll shot it down"! His wife is screaming "I have children here"! I figure at some point with all the DJI drones being sold folks people will get numb to them or new regs will pop up! Google Earth had better resolution at altitude! So avoid low altitude flying and over houses if at all possible. Luckily I live close to lots of open spaces!

I live in an HOA unfortunately and my neighbor next door who is normally the same type of opinion based person as me when he saw her after she left I went over and talked to him and he at first was saying well maybe put them away for a little bit you don't want to be labeled a pervert. Then I told him after my research what I believed Florida law to be that as long as I'm not using my footage if tthey or they proposers or me in my shot for surveillance of them then it's ok. Juat wish I knew for sure. She said also I heard you had drones. I'm waiting for an hoa ban. Yea flying over the neighborhood to has been the normal because of the virus. I never fly less than 350 feet until my property to land. Mostly sun and scenic shots anyways.

anyone have any concrete Florida law proof. The funny thing is a sheriff deputy lives right next door to her to.

You can't buy enough tinfoil to fix her problems. Some people go from sanity to psycho at the mere sight or sound of a drone. My neighbor's wife went psycho when I was flying over my property (28 acres) because I was close to their property (they live next door).
what did you do? Change your flying habits

what did you do? Change your flying habits
It's a long story. I did not and do not fly over their property but I did not change my flight habits. We share a mill pond and I fly over my half and watch the ducks, geese and snapping turtles. I guess she straps her tin foil on tighter when I do.

Sorry you had to go through that. Generally, if you do not fly at night, over people, or over moving cars, you should be fine ... there are definitely safety reasons for that. I am known as "that guy with a drone" in my neighborhood, but I like to let people know the day before I fly and share a few pictures. That has gone a long way in building trust.

Hopefully you get a chance to make peace with your neighbor. Why would it not be you that allegedly flew right down over them? Because those props are spinning at several thousand RPM, and getting hit by those HURT ... and you do not want to have to explain to the FAA why you sent someone to the hospital or caused more than $500 in property damage.
The cheapest home in my community or sub division is $650,000 so while I'm blessed to be able to live in a place like this it comes at a cost. Snooty people who don't like anything. The solar panels I put on my house. 18kw system was a fight with the hoa about 5 panels on the front of my home. But I am cut from a different bread.

I don't want to make peace with her. She lives about 3,000 plus yards away. Almost at the end of the street I live on. How the sheriff deputy afforded the home right next to her isn't my business but apparently it bothers her because she said well I live at the "big house" with the red roof.

I know it was not me based on her description flying that low. Apparently it was so low it scared her son.

she is mad about a drone flying over and spying. Furthest thing from my mind ever. In fact based on my knowledge of Florida love and flying over property she was standing in my grass so in fact she trespassed more than me ha ha ha ha

Reactions: Len750 and JCO1977
I don't fly over his house! Take it up to 400 feet before flying anywhere near home. Sure wish they were quieter!
I juat went back through the log. I was at 397ft taking those pictures. That is the height I always fly over the community at until I land in my yard.

Last edited:
I juat went back through the log. I was at 397 taking those pictures. That is the height I always fly over the community at until I land in my yard.
Don't ever show them any pics or video from the drone. The clarity will re-enforce their paranoia.

Don't ever show them any pics or video from the drone. The clarity will re-enforce their paranoia.
Never ever would but it really just makes me so angry. I know the hoa is crazy enough and I get a fine for my trash cans being left out 4 hours after collection but now this lady is Dicatating me now with a new hobby to the point I don't even want to fly anymore if people are this crazy. I knew people were crazy but to sit there and tell me it scared my son it was so low and I called the police to see if they had a drone out. I reported it so if it was you scaring my son and peeping on us then stop.

Reactions: Shameless Shamus
Is there really anyone that would be willing to make sure I'm correct on the Florida law woth that or that knows for sure what the law does and does not allow so I know

Is there really anyone that would be willing to make sure I'm correct on the Florida law woth that or that knows for sure what the law does and does not allow so I know
can't you look it up its pretty easy to find.

and I'm sorry as long as I'm not breaking any laws no neighbor is going to infringe on my rights. If they don't like it tough.:p
I did. Was jut hoping for another set of eyes because there are multiple things I see and wanted to make sure I understood it correctly. Won't ask again

Jonathan, you'll have to check your local ordinances but the airspace is controlled by the FAA and as far as they are concerned, shooting at a drone is the same as shooting at a manned aircraft, legally.

See Florida had a state law come out that local municipalities are not able to create their own drone laws. That's why I'm really confused as if that is true based on my research and understanding.

Florida does have the law that no images video or anything nit Ike that of property private or not can be taken without consentif it is purely for Surveillance

THe only court case I have read about ruled that homeowner's control up to 88 feet from ground level. Weird but that was what they ruled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead