DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nervous Novice, Scared of Heights!

cojobt

Reactions
Hi,

I'm a novice drone owner. I've had the Mavic Pro for a few weeks, but already had to send off for a refresh as I flew too close to a tree branch and damaged the gimbal motor...so after one hour's flight I had to wait another 5 weeks for its replacement.

Since then I've been flying on beaches in good weather (rare here in Ireland...good weather, not beaches). I've become more confident with sending the Mavic off into the distance, and have really enjoyed trying to master a few manoeuvres, but I'm very anxious about flying high.

The highest I have flown so far is 30m high. Wind was about 9 mph. I was flying over a deserted beach and sand dunes, keeping away from the water.

I've tried to reassure myself that the Mavic is designed and tested for flight at much greater heights, up to 100m within regulations, but I get very nervous when I let it go about 20m high. I begin to panic a little when I have to use the screen to see it, rather than keep an eye on it.

Has anyone got any advice for me which might help me break past the 30m glass ceiling I've created for myself?

Reactions: xtekian
I understand where you're coming from. For me it was very difficult not to fly my Mavic without looking at it coming from flying helicopters.

I kept reading about all these flights that I am missing out on because I was not using my screen to my advantage. I am glad I can fly without using the screen but you are short changing yourself if you never use it.

I just started flying around the house keeping it close to home while looking at the screen the whole time. Before long you will actually feel more comfortable being up 200 feet or so because you no longer have to worry about running into anything.

Now it's more nerve racking dropping down below the tree tops to get close in shots.

With a little bit of practice you will have it in no time.

I think you're doing the right thing, being cautious and thinking before you act, especially since you already had to pay the price with your first Refresh. Some people just take off and hope they can find their way back home, and many times they end up crashing.

You have learned to fly it with line-of-sight which is great, but now it's time to trust the drone a little more and try flying close to you using the screen only. If you need to bring a spotter with you, thats perfectly ok. They can tell you the position of the drone, and if you arent comfortable, just land it.

Im not sure if youve had previous RC experience before, but I think that many old RC pilots tend to fly by site instead of looking at the screen, thats what we were made to do because we had no screen to refer to. In todays world, the equipment has become so reliable, its ok to trust the display and telemetry to tell you where you are.

One last piece of advice I can give you. On any given flight, commit to either 100% line-of-site (flying by looking at it) or 100% using the screen. If you switch between the screen and LOS, you can easily become disoriented, and that can cause a problem. Learn to trust the equipment, it can be your best friend.

When i was going for my instrument rating in full scale airplanes, the instructor made me wear a hood so I couldnt see outside the plane for reference and it made me rely 100% on the instruments. It was the scariest training I had ever done, but I learned to trust them, and after that, it became second nature. Same thing with you, learn to trust a little at a time, and soon you will be able to use the screen only to fly, as long as it's within line of sight.

I feel the same , i had a "simple" drone for 4 months and now with the mavic i am trying to do what Thunder-drones suggested.

Small steps and keep flying :)

I understand where you're coming from. For me it was very difficult not to fly my Mavic without looking at it coming from flying helicopters.

I kept reading about all these flights that I am missing out on because I was not using my screen to my advantage. I am glad I can fly without using the screen but you are short changing yourself if you never use it.

I just started flying around the house keeping it close to home while looking at the screen the whole time. Before long you will actually feel more comfortable being up 200 feet or so because you no longer have to worry about running into anything.

Now it's more nerve racking dropping down below the tree tops to get close in shots.

With a little bit of practice you will have it in no time.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll continue working at 30m or so until I'm more confident it's not going to be taken away by a strong wind or something, focusing on the screen. A few nights ago I spent some time practising flying around myself in a 360 by looking only at the screen...but that was at about 4ft.

By the way, it seems quite apt that the first person to reply to my post about fearful flying is called Fearless Flight!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reassurance Thunder-drones. I like the tip about choosing one or the other. I'll try to apply that when I get out again. I don't think I'll add a hood or blinkers though! I'm a true novice here, like many people picking up drones these days. I quickly learned that owning and flying a drone is a serious business.

mildim, I'll keep it small for another while. I got the Mavic for a small aerial-shoot project which won't even require great height, so I'm not going to push it and risk crashing the drone due to panicking mid-flight, or losing it due to a lack of experience...I hope!

Thanks for the replies.

All good advice, i see it this way, when i am above tree height, its gonna be hard to hit a tree. :)

Low and Slow will keep you from getting into too much trouble.

higher will stop you from worrying too much about what you will run into.

i find a comfortable place to be is between 30 and 70 meters for me. if i go higher its only to try to keep better signal.

If i go lower its generally in clear areas, with no one around.

There are some advantages to being higher and other times lower.

Find a comfort zone, where you can fly in a way that you learn how the AC moves without worrying about what is around you.

After that you can experiment slowly and become more comfortable going out of your own designated comfort zone.

Cheers Gary.

I think what's holding me back is mostly a fear that the Mavic might be dragged away by a strong wind, as it is really very small. It tends to be quite windy here where I live, although I haven't flown in winds over 12mph (using the Hover and UAV apps to check). I'm on a peninsula which is bounded largely by the Atlantic. The Mavic is very small, and when it goes up high it's even smaller (to me) so I worry that a strong gust will take it away from me.

I tell myself that it's designed and tested to deal with that. I'll take it easy and keep edging it a little higher, trusting the screen and trying not to panic!

Thanks for responding.

Cheers Gary.

I think what's holding me back is mostly a fear that the Mavic might be dragged away by a strong wind, as it is really very small. It tends to be quite windy here where I live, although I haven't flown in winds over 12mph (using the Hover and UAV apps to check). I'm on a peninsula which is bounded largely by the Atlantic. The Mavic is very small, and when it goes up high it's even smaller (to me) so I worry that a strong gust will take it away from me.

I tell myself that it's designed and tested to deal with that. I'll take it easy and keep edging it a little higher, trusting the screen and trying not to panic!

Thanks for responding.
you will get wind warnings higher up but do not be scared by these, when i first got them i was terrified and kept landing, what i learned was this.

The warning is a warning and seems to be set low anyway. Do not ignore it but do not also stop and land because of it.

first change altitude up or down either way may move you out of gusting winds. if that does not work then check your speed.

if you are against the wind but making good headway then no need to worry. If things seem slow, stop turn of your OA which will give you greater speed. You can also just switch to sport mode.

Take note of warnings, check your speed in all directions, and if the Mavic is struggling then sport mode and land.

I just repeatedly tried beating my previous height record on subsequent flights - after many flights you start to trust it. I've taken mine up to 500m (up the side of a mountain), you can't see it after ~250m - yes I'm aware that's wrong.

Take note of warnings, check your speed in all directions, and if the Mavic is struggling then sport mode and land.

Thanks, I'll def bear that in mind. I've noticed that descending/ascending while moving s;ightlforward seems to offer more control.

I just repeatedly tried beating my previous height record on subsequent flights - after many flights you start to trust it. I've taken mine up to 500m (up the side of a mountain), you can't see it after ~250m - yes I'm aware that's wrong.

If its up the side of a mountain its not wrong (unless there is a tornado racing up the valley).

Most height i have done is 230. To be honest i find too much height means your video is crap lol (unless you are flying in mountains which i love by the way, jealous of where you live, i did some climbing up there).

im n AND ervous every flight, i will not allow my unwarranted fear hinder me no more.
GOTTA PUT ALL YOUR FAITH IN BIRD AND URSELF.
FIRST TIME I WENT OVER 18,000 FEET AWAY STOCK TRIM I WAS COMPLETELY
FEARLESS CUZ AT THAT POINT EITHER STAY FOCUSED I WHAT I KNOW OR FREAK OUT CRASH

Altitude is your best insurance against hitting something. Get up and away from all that danger (trees, telephone poles and wires). Set your RTH to the correct height and go fly.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Hi,

I'm a novice drone owner. I've had the Mavic Pro for a few weeks, but already had to send off for a refresh as I flew too close to a tree branch and damaged the gimbal motor...so after one hour's flight I had to wait another 5 weeks for its replacement.

Since then I've been flying on beaches in good weather (rare here in Ireland...good weather, not beaches). I've become more confident with sending the Mavic off into the distance, and have really enjoyed trying to master a few manoeuvres, but I'm very anxious about flying high.

The highest I have flown so far is 30m high. Wind was about 9 mph. I was flying over a deserted beach and sand dunes, keeping away from the water.

I've tried to reassure myself that the Mavic is designed and tested for flight at much greater heights, up to 100m within regulations, but I get very nervous when I let it go about 20m high. I begin to panic a little when I have to use the screen to see it, rather than keep an eye on it.

Has anyone got any advice for me which might help me break past the 30m glass ceiling I've created for myself?

I use a weather app such as UAV forecast or ‘advisory’ these you can program the parameters to tell you what the winds are at any given height, I have mine set at just above 400 feet, it will tell me what the wind speeds are at that height and if it’s ‘good to fly’. It’s just another tool to aid safer responsible flying.Image1524762294.851233.jpgImage1524762336.325648.jpg

Height is your friend. There is far less to run into up high. Make sure your RTH settings are correct for your area. Note your normal maximum speed in calm conditions. If you can go faster than that when up high then you have a tail wind. This means you will be fighting a head wind on the return trip so plan accordingly. Sport mode can defeat a strong wind but will use up your battery quicker. Lowering altitude may also find calmer wind but beware of your surroundings.

I practice sending it up around 120m and away 200 or 300m, then look at the display while moving it, then try to see it again. It is just a small speck at that distance and can be difficult to spot. I have found that quick up and down movements helps my eyes locate it in the sky.

Cheers Gary.

Thanks for responding.
Put it in sport mode and take it up 300 feet- Your going to have to put some trust in your bird- Now if it is crazy wind don't do it but if you do get caught in a wind sport mode is your friend.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I wish DJI would create at flight simulator for the drones so you can practice on rainy days

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998