DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New awaited firmware, big brother is watching closer each day... I am paranoid.

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
200+ years ago patriots threw tea into the harbor in Boston Massachusetts because the government was taxing something they shouldn’t have had any control over. Today we have college “safe places” for students to escape the harsh world of differing viewpoints! As I had said many times, we have become a nation of slaves to the Government that tax and control nearly every aspect of our lives. If they didn’t need us to run their industries and pluck the silver from our pockets, we’d have government sanctioned birth control. Perhaps this isn’t the place for such conversations, but it is only going to get worse! Even our recreation is being controlled and they don’t want us to be TOO free thinking.

relax-----your going to have a nervous breakdown. There is some things you can do something about, others, unless you want to spend the time, money and energy to correct, nothing.
I myself find at my age to just go with the flow, keeps the blood pressure down. One thing you must be aware of, money talks, the more you have the louder your voice is. ( old saying) walk softly and carry a big stick.
happy new year

Reactions: MaxE1955!
relax-----your going to have a nervous breakdown. There is some things you can do something about, others, unless you want to spend the time, money and energy to correct, nothing.
I myself find at my age to just go with the flow, keeps the blood pressure down. One thing you must be aware of, money talks, the more you have the louder your voice is. ( old saying) walk softly and carry a big stick.
happy new year
Thanks for your reply. Believe me, I’m not stressing or overly nervous about the situations unfolding. As for mellowing with age, at 64 if feel like if I mellow much more I’ll be comatose hahahahahaha. Just making an observation from my experiences over the last 60+ years. You have to admit, things have changed quite a bit over the last few decades. And mostly, not for the better. It will be interesting to see how things progress/digress in society over the next decade or 2.

Thanks for your reply. Believe me, I’m not stressing or overly nervous about the situations unfolding. As for mellowing with age, at 64 if feel like if I mellow much more I’ll be comatose hahahahahaha. Just making an observation from my experiences over the last 60+ years. You have to admit, things have changed quite a bit over the last few decades. And mostly, not for the better. It will be interesting to see how things progress/digress in society over the next decade or 2.
we are a lot off subject, but it is most interesting, at 64 your just a kid.
live long and healthy.
again
happy new year

It is interesting to see everyone's approach and views.
After spending quite a few years in the corporate world, I know people have more powers than they are lead to believe; many times, we are tricked into the position of submission, but we do have great powers.
I'm new to drones, after using it for a short time and reading about drone laws/regulations etc. I can tell you one thing:

Hobbyists will get removed from drone hobby in US as it happened in Canada. It was done under an umbrella to protect the safety of planes. But the real truth is; it was done to clean up the path for future commercial drone operators (mass deliveries etc.)
Here is why, it hit me today while I was looking at the planes landing on my local YYZ around Toronto. I'm talking about this specific situation.

If drone operators are not allowed to fly above 120m and always to be vlos, how can they be a threat to any big planes out there? Even a few Km away from an airport planes are quite high in the sky. 500m and up. At 120m none of the drones is a threat to any aircraft at list in the area where I live; they can be to other drones, but not the planes.

So if you lock drones to 120m in my city and planes are above, the problem would be solved. I have seen on the radar multiple planes crossing paths at different elevations one at 500m other at 1500m directly above each other, nobody feels that is unsafe.

Instead, they make it illegal for drones even to take off if your AC is above 250g. This is clearly to make it safe for future commercial drones safety, not plane safety. But it was easier to push it through in front of the unaware clueless public.

Geo-fencing is great, but allowing me to self unlock it close to the airport and still send the drone above 120m feels strange and makes no sense if we are concerned about plane safety.

Reactions: strdr
Gents- I can see where adding certain perspectives allows one to believe "Big Brother" is getting more dangerous. The truth is, and I've been a network professional for multiple decades, we've all been on the grid for a very, very long time. I'm not condoning that; I'm saying there is little we can do about it except go on living the best lives we can.

The total amount of data in the possession of many (many, many) government and corporate entities is so cosmically vast that the problem "they" have is how to reduce the virtually infinite amount of information into discrete small piles and from there, how to prioritize them into something nefarious to the average citizen. Each of our digital bread crumbs has been recorded in thousands of places, and yet, you are no closer to being "picked off" than you were decades ago.

Live on, do the best you can, and your life will be pretty normal. Spend more time outside with your drone and less time worrying about what you see online, nearly all of which is not at all what you may believe it is. What reasonable alternative do you/we have?

Easy to say if you are from Texas...;), Where I'm from having nail clipper places you on the blacklist, with the pocket knife, you are Johny the Ripper. ;) honestly, I like it this way, we have so little crime I'm not afraid to fly my drone at night, o wait I'm not allowed to fly it at night...:)

We have alternatives:

Make sure to check your privacy options (with google, youtube, dji online services etc) and disable everything you can :) they will collect the data anyway, but they will be on the "illegal" side if try to use it without your consent.

Buy products that collect less data or allow you to have better control, why anyone would buy google home, I mean come on, I do not care how cool it is, it is creepy.

I started reading about other drones just to see if they are all so strict, here is a snippet from Autel Evo manual, I was surprised to learn not all the drones require activation similar to DJI, there are alternatives.

1577940733170.png

Yes .. you are being paranoid .. and unnecessarily so.
There just isn't any evidence to support your fears.
3. I wonder what device hardware information DJI wants to get from me; they don't already have? Are those synced logs? Are logs going to DJI or somewhere else? Does anyone know what data is being uploaded? Is it just for this flight or all the past flights and future flights?
Why do you think DJI wants any of that information?
Why would they?
DJI only get to see your flight data if you choose to share it with them.
(And there are good reasons you might want to share that data too).

I can't see any reason to believe your pessimistic predictions will eventuate.
I think you've misinterpreted a few things and made some incorrect assumptions.

It is interesting to see everyone's approach and views.
After spending quite a few years in the corporate world, I know people have more powers than they are lead to believe; many times, we are tricked into the position of submission, but we do have great powers.
I'm new to drones, after using it for a short time and reading about drone laws/regulations etc. I can tell you one thing:

Hobbyists will get removed from drone hobby in US as it happened in Canada. It was done under an umbrella to protect the safety of planes. But the real truth is; it was done to clean up the path for future commercial drone operators (mass deliveries etc.)
Here is why, it hit me today while I was looking at the planes landing on my local YYZ around Toronto. I'm talking about this specific situation.

If drone operators are not allowed to fly above 120m and always to be vlos, how can they be a threat to any big planes out there? Even a few Km away from an airport planes are quite high in the sky. 500m and up. At 120m none of the drones is a threat to any aircraft at list in the area where I live; they can be to other drones, but not the planes.

So if you lock drones to 120m in my city and planes are above, the problem would be solved. I have seen on the radar multiple planes crossing paths at different elevations one at 500m other at 1500m directly above each other, nobody feels that is unsafe.

Instead, they make it illegal for drones even to take off if your AC is above 250g. This is clearly to make it safe for future commercial drones safety, not plane safety. But it was easier to push it through in front of the unaware clueless public.

Geo-fencing is great, but allowing me to self unlock it close to the airport and still send the drone above 120m feels strange and makes no sense if we are concerned about plane safety.

All true--------------If DJI can lock their drones from flying near all airports, I can see "NO" reason they can't lock the drone at a certain altitude when there near an airport, in my mind you are %100 correct, it's all about getting the drones out of the air for the commercial operators to use that airspace.
MY NICKLES WORTH

we are a lot off subject, but it is most interesting, at 64 your just a kid.
live long and healthy.
again
happy new year
Woo hoo...... that made my day. LOL. Thank you kind sir!

I did the app and firmware update, took good 10min, but went smoothly, put it simply it does work.

I have very mixed feelings about what's coming. Call me paranoid, but I have seen a lot of unregulated things going through the regulation process, never ends well for average Joe.

After the update, I want to take off in my house I get prompt to enter cell number, after entering cell they have send me 6 digit authorization number after entering it, I got stuck at the following screen:

View attachment 89296

I'm sure it will work if I check all the boxes. But let's face it for how long?

1. I'm just 17 years old kid that got MM for Christmas form my dad (not true in my case but...) am I qualified to fly? How do I know if I am qualified or not? As long as checking gets me in the air, I will check it all; it has to be checked.

2. Can I assume liability if I'm not an adult? Better yet, even as an adult, this checkbox is total legal baloney at this moment (at this moment)

3. I wonder what device hardware information DJI wants to get from me; they don't already have? Are those synced logs? Are logs going to DJI or somewhere else? Does anyone know what data is being uploaded? Is it just for this flight or all the past flights and future flights?

This update looks like preparation for something to come, few scenarios:
  1. You will need to pay for unlocking of anything, and then still can be capped at distance and elevation.
  2. Unlock available only to people with some special advanced license and flight test passed. (current law in Cad)
  3. It does not look like the protection and safety of planes, even tho it is sold to us like that; it seems more like future drone delivery services/interest protection and securing of the sky for themself by slow elimination of hobbysts.
  4. Once commercial delivery drones are in the air, none of us will be able to unlock anything, as they will get priority.
I think it is the last minute of drone usage as we know, a few years from now; nobody will be flying anywhere (maybe with some small exceptions)

How do you guys feel about this?
i have seem this prompts lots of time on my drone.

I do not may part 107 license, so all I did was check each of the boxes, and continue to fly. lately after the last update I have not seem this prompt.

I remember last summer sending a lengthy email to DJI, about this prompt. at that time they told me, that they was working on this. prompt,

I do not see this prompt on any of my drones after the last update.

i have seem this prompts lots of time on my drone.

I do not may part 107 license, so all I did was check each of the boxes, and continue to fly. lately after the last update I have not seem this prompt.

I remember last summer sending a lengthy email to DJI, about this prompt. at that time they told me, that they was working on this. prompt,

I do not see this prompt on any of my drones after the last update.

in twenty years from now, I predict, that you will pay to fly your drone, there will be a monthly fee, collected over the internet, if you don't pay your drone will not take off. commercial company's will own the ability to fly drones. far fleshed, just you wait and see. I'm 87 and I have seen changes that 20 years ago people said I was crazy. tole roads, 20 years ago there were none, bottled water, same,
deed restricted homes, was a joke, 1984 is coming, sad.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Drug delivery by drone - 6k
Canada Post & London Drugs

i know about all that stuff i have watched that one, and Bruce's very good one on his xjet channel as far as drone delivery in urban and city areas is concerned, i think that the complexity of making it safe and reliable is something that is eons away from reality, there will be areas where it is possible but not any time soon

AMEM BROTHER

there are those that are paranoid about red light cameras taken there picture, so much so they voted to have them removed,
You go into a store (Walmart's for instance) look up, cameras everywhere, just not Walmart, (just about every store you go into),
Where I live just about every one has security cameras, they are everywhere,
You check out at the self check out, the computer takes your picture,
You get your picture taken hundreds of times a day.
when you check out at the store they scan you groceries, it gets recorded in a computer, the Government can look up to see how many rolls of toilet paper you bought .
I could go on and on,
Paranoid, (not me), I just know what's going on and except it.
My moto, change things you can, except things you can't.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I have 2 original Mavic Pro’s, the 2nd one I use as a backup I’ve only flown once, I haven’t updated them in years and don’t intend to, hopefully I’ll be able to fly them both indefinitely!

in twenty years from now, I predict, that you will pay to fly your drone, there will be a monthly fee, collected over the internet, if you don't pay your drone will not take off. commercial company's will own the ability to fly drones. far fleshed, just you wait and see. I'm 87 and I have seen changes that 20 years ago people said I was crazy. tole roads, 20 years ago there were none, bottled water, same,
Toll roads were around way before 20 years ago. Maybe not in FL, but other places sure. Many actually were removed from being rolled. Take Northern State Parkway in LI, NY. It ceased being a toll road somewhere around early 1980's.

I have 2 original Mavic Pro’s, the 2nd one I use as a backup I’ve only flown once, I haven’t updated them in years and don’t intend to, hopefully I’ll be able to fly them both indefinitely!
Birds of a feather flock together, I had two phantom 2s, gave them to my son, I now have two sparks, never up dated, both fly fine, Two phantom 3 Pros, never updated, a couple of Hubson drones, just bought two mini mavic, sorry to say I did update both, they fly great. this hobby is addictive. (old saying) those that die with the most toys wins, LOL

Reactions: Thomas B
Toll roads have been around for almost as long as we have had roads (~2700 years). What we gained 20 years ago was the ability to pay tolls without stopping.
Bottled water as we know it in plastic bottles has been around for 50 years. Water coolers have been around for a lot longer than that.
In the South, deed restrictions become a common way 100 years ago of segregating home ownership. These days, it's more or less a side affect of living in a HOA.

It's been 36 years since 1984. In a weird coincidence that has no other meaning, 36 years separates 1948 and 1984. When Orwell wrote "1984", he was talking about 1948 and the authoritarian dictatorships.

I don't see a monthly drone fee being enacted. People would just go back to building kit drones again. It would be a boon for GoPro as people would have a need to buy GoPro cameras again.

Commercial companies already "own" the ability to fly drones. For most use cases, it's more a novelty or publicity stunt than anything else. For package delivery, it's a very costly way to deliver to the last mile. Emergency delivery of medical supplies, S&R, and inspections make the most amount of sense for commercial drone use.

Reactions: Meta4

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes