DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canada rules for drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtorc

Reactions
Rec drone use is now limited to height of 90 meters and can't fly within 75 meters of buildings.

this sucks!!!

WTF is non recreational use? Can the mavic be considered a professional drone?

Rec drone use is now limited to height of 90 meters and can't fly within 75 meters of buildings.

this sucks!!!

WTF is non recreational use? Can the mavic be considered a professional drone?
Yes it can, but you would have to demonstrate that it is being used professionally, I would image.

The rules are essentially the same as they have been in Canada for some time now. The only difference really is they're now "regulations" instead of "guidelines". I can't remember if the limit for people and buildings was only 50m before, but whatever.

What annoys me more is the media's tone around all this stuff. They make it sound like flying a drone is some nefarious activity. It's just a few morons flying their drones close to planes that are giving the hobby a bad name for everyone. But the media (as usual) are doing a terrible job of portraying an objective overview of the situation. As a result, I suspect the general public will become more and more hostile to even responsible drone pilots. I plan to use my drone mainly in areas where there are very few people, in large part to avoid any potential conflicts.

Reactions: Rbruz and Mavic 57

this sucks!!!

Good, ban then completely I say, I've seen them on telly, evil looking things those Drones , especially the ones with the hellfire missiles, you could have someone's eye out with one of them.

Guess it's lucky were all flying relatively harmless DJI mavic and phantom RC Quadcoppters then and not drones ;-)

Reactions: Rbruz
The rules are essentially the same as they have been in Canada for some time now. The only difference really is they're now "regulations" instead of "guidelines". I can't remember if the limit for people and buildings was only 50m before, but whatever.

What annoys me more is the media's tone around all this stuff. They make it sound like flying a drone is some nefarious activity. It's just a few morons flying their drones close to planes that are giving the hobby a bad name for everyone. But the media (as usual) are doing a terrible job of portraying an objective overview of the situation. As a result, I suspect the general public will become more and more hostile to even responsible drone pilots. I plan to use my drone mainly in areas where there are very few people, in large part to avoid any potential conflicts.

Also, I love that the Canadian government is now recommending that people call 911 when they observe drone laws being broken. Can you imagine how flooded with stupid calls first responders will be now, from idiot grumps that don't like drones or paranoidly think people are using their drones to spy on them. It's like those stupid billboards the government used to put up (at least in the US; can't remember if Canada did this too) to tell people to contact the authorities when they observed suspicious behaviour. I heard the authorities were flooded with tons of false alarm calls during this campaign. Stupid people everywhere...

As these as now laws and not guidelines, as of today Canada has effectively banned the use of recreational drone flying. How feasible is it not to break one or more of these laws flying a drone?

• Higher than 90 metres.
  • Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals or people.
  • More than 500 metres away from the user.
  • At night, in clouds or somewhere you can't see it.
  • Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land, or a forest fire.
  • Without your name, address and phone number marked on the drone itself.
  • Over forest fires, emergency response scenes or controlled airspace.
The bolded rule ensures you are unlikely to find any place on the planet that qualifies for recreational drone flight. A commercial license is the only option. But like most badly written laws, it will be largely ignored, unenforced and unenforceable.

Sadly, politicians in Canada, and the people who support them, love creating bureacracy and putting rules in place telling "others" what to do.

The areas in green are no fly zones around Toronto, Canada's largest city.
Remember: if you see someone operating a drone in any of this 7000 square km area remember to call 911!
toronto2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998