DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New drone - SIGNAL LOST after takeoff

Chips

Reactions
This is my 4th DJI drone after a Phantom 3A, Spark and Phantom 3SE. I lost the P3A due to inexperience, got the Spark and thought it was a bit unstable so I got a P3SE, which I find of inferior quality so I don't fly it much. I've been flying a year now and while I am not exactly a newbie, I am not very proficient. The Spark helped me gain confidence flying further and higher, and understanding how to manage imagery. I really want to be able to get videos like those I see at AirVuz.

Anyway, two weeks ago, the 8-month old Spark had a motor shutdown at 80 metres while in landing mode. Very fortunately, it hit my awning, bounced and surprisingly, the motors restarted and I caught it and brought it to a normal landing. It wasn't the battery falling out obviously (which I read about) and an expert who looked through my flight log didn't find anything unusual. Anyway, I could repair it (it still flies) but I have completely lost confidence in it. I was very lucky it fell in my compound but if it happens again, it may be on a busy highway. The risk is there so I have put the Spark aside and may use it in places where if it disappears, too bad.

So I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a Mavic Pro. The guy at the shop kept trying to push the Mavic Air to me but having read about the superior transmission capability of the Mavic Pro, I decided to pay the extra money to get it. I expected to move to it eventually when I gained more proficiency flying, but didn't think it would be in just a year of flying.

Day 1 after opening the box - had difficulty linking and activating. That didn't bother me a lot since I had the same difficulties with the other drones and eventually things were ok. I could activate and the RC linked to the drone (I checked by operating the camera) but it could not link to my Samsung tablet which I had bought specially for flying as I found using my phone inadequate. I gave up after 3 hours of trying as it was midnight and I was just tired.

Day 2 - I decided to just take it out to one of the open places that I have been flying and after connecting the USB cable to the port underneath (not the side), it connected. I marked the cable since it worked. Firmware checked up to date and I started flying. It flew fine and responded to controls but then the imagery got blurry and I got a message 'signal lost'. That message stops my heart! But I could still control the drone so I brought it back quickly.

I exited DJIG04 and restarted everything and launched again. The imagery still was blurry and I didn't know what it could be so after a few minutes, I landed and packed up.

Day 3 - wasn't free to fly.

Day 4 (today, Sunday) - I went out looking forward to flying and went to another spot I usually fly. Everything connected up and the camera worked fine. I was happy. I sent it up about 10 metres and flew around a bit. Then imagery was lost and I got a message on the top left corner SIGNAL LOST. Stopped my heart again as the drone was hovering over a public road. But it responded to controls so I brought it back safely.

I exited the app and started it again and had Go Fly appear. Next screen and everything looked fine with a Ready to Fly (GPS) in green message. Launched and when it went into hover, SIGNAL LOST appeared. iI also noticed that the tail light was blinking in red. Connection levels looked okay and strong. This time, the sticks didn't seem to work and for a moment, I was terrified that I would not be able to land it or shut down the motors and it would just drift with the wind and crash. I had such an experience with the Spark and had to grab it to try to bring it down. But when I hit RTH, it responded and landed straight down.

I tried another two times and exactly the same thing happened, so I have given up. I am cautious when flying and I am really scared of being up at 100 metres and then SIGNAL LOST comes one. I have had it with the other drones but they were very momentary, just a second as the message flashed and then went away. I assumed it might have just been an atmospheric condition. But this condition worries me.

I have read about others experiencing SIGNAL LOST and not finding out what exactly happened. Some retain control to land, some do not. I chatted with a guy who has sent his Mavi Pro 3 kms away and it has returned safely and I would like to be able to do that but if this fault exists, I just won't dare. I am already paranoid about motor shutdown and I understand the Mavic Pro can go very high but a shutdown at 100 metres will be a nightmare.

I plan to reinstall GO4 and see if there is any improvement. Some suggest that as being one solution. It has worked fine with the Spark so I don't know why it should have a problem. I know many will say send it in and although it has an official warranty, it is a hassle to go to the shop although I will do it eventually.

Comments and advice appreciated.

Chips
(Malaysia)

This is my 4th DJI drone after a Phantom 3A, Spark and Phantom 3SE. I lost the P3A due to inexperience, got the Spark and thought it was a bit unstable so I got a P3SE, which I find of inferior quality so I don't fly it much. I've been flying a year now and while I am not exactly a newbie, I am not very proficient. The Spark helped me gain confidence flying further and higher, and understanding how to manage imagery. I really want to be able to get videos like those I see at AirVuz.

Anyway, two weeks ago, the 8-month old Spark had a motor shutdown at 80 metres while in landing mode. Very fortunately, it hit my awning, bounced and surprisingly, the motors restarted and I caught it and brought it to a normal landing. It wasn't the battery falling out obviously (which I read about) and an expert who looked through my flight log didn't find anything unusual. Anyway, I could repair it (it still flies) but I have completely lost confidence in it. I was very lucky it fell in my compound but if it happens again, it may be on a busy highway. The risk is there so I have put the Spark aside and may use it in places where if it disappears, too bad.

So I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a Mavic Pro. The guy at the shop kept trying to push the Mavic Air to me but having read about the superior transmission capability of the Mavic Pro, I decided to pay the extra money to get it. I expected to move to it eventually when I gained more proficiency flying, but didn't think it would be in just a year of flying.

Day 1 after opening the box - had difficulty linking and activating. That didn't bother me a lot since I had the same difficulties with the other drones and eventually things were ok. I could activate and the RC linked to the drone (I checked by operating the camera) but it could not link to my Samsung tablet which I had bought specially for flying as I found using my phone inadequate. I gave up after 3 hours of trying as it was midnight and I was just tired.

Day 2 - I decided to just take it out to one of the open places that I have been flying and after connecting the USB cable to the port underneath (not the side), it connected. I marked the cable since it worked. Firmware checked up to date and I started flying. It flew fine and responded to controls but then the imagery got blurry and I got a message 'signal lost'. That message stops my heart! But I could still control the drone so I brought it back quickly.

I exited DJIG04 and restarted everything and launched again. The imagery still was blurry and I didn't know what it could be so after a few minutes, I landed and packed up.

Day 3 - wasn't free to fly.

Day 4 (today, Sunday) - I went out looking forward to flying and went to another spot I usually fly. Everything connected up and the camera worked fine. I was happy. I sent it up about 10 metres and flew around a bit. Then imagery was lost and I got a message on the top left corner SIGNAL LOST. Stopped my heart again as the drone was hovering over a public road. But it responded to controls so I brought it back safely.

I exited the app and started it again and had Go Fly appear. Next screen and everything looked fine with a Ready to Fly (GPS) in green message. Launched and when it went into hover, SIGNAL LOST appeared. iI also noticed that the tail light was blinking in red. Connection levels looked okay and strong. This time, the sticks didn't seem to work and for a moment, I was terrified that I would not be able to land it or shut down the motors and it would just drift with the wind and crash. I had such an experience with the Spark and had to grab it to try to bring it down. But when I hit RTH, it responded and landed straight down.

I tried another two times and exactly the same thing happened, so I have given up. I am cautious when flying and I am really scared of being up at 100 metres and then SIGNAL LOST comes one. I have had it with the other drones but they were very momentary, just a second as the message flashed and then went away. I assumed it might have just been an atmospheric condition. But this condition worries me.

I have read about others experiencing SIGNAL LOST and not finding out what exactly happened. Some retain control to land, some do not. I chatted with a guy who has sent his Mavi Pro 3 kms away and it has returned safely and I would like to be able to do that but if this fault exists, I just won't dare. I am already paranoid about motor shutdown and I understand the Mavic Pro can go very high but a shutdown at 100 metres will be a nightmare.

I plan to reinstall GO4 and see if there is any improvement. Some suggest that as being one solution. It has worked fine with the Spark so I don't know why it should have a problem. I know many will say send it in and although it has an official warranty, it is a hassle to go to the shop although I will do it eventually.

Comments and advice appreciated.

Chips
(Malaysia)
I am curious, did you connected your Mavic thru the cable or thru WiFi? Because thru WiFi, signal is very weak and this does not use the occusyn technology which have a strong range.

Reactions: Aerial West
Thanks for replies.

I use a cable which is connected to the big port underneath. I saw vid where the guy suggested that a poor quality cable could cause such problems so I changed the cable to one which came with my Sony Xperia phone and it looks like pretty high quality. It also has a right-angle connector going into the device, reducing stress on the cable.

I have extracted the flight logs and the first one shows two red messages. One which says UNKNOWN ERROR and CANNOT TAKEOFF and yet I could. A second message says STRONG INTERFERENCE. FLY WITH CAUTION. I don't know why there would be interference as I have flown my Spark in the same area.

Anyway, I came home and decided to try again in my backyard where I have been flying my Spark most of the time with no problems. I used the Sony cable and launched. And when it went up, I got SIGNAL LOST. But I still could control it and then another message said IMAGE TRANSMISSION LOST, Do you want to RTH? I looked up at the camera and saw that I could still control it so I tried recording movies and taking some pictures, both of which were stored on the SD card fine. I could still fly it around in spite of the NO SIGNAL message but I didn't fly it far, just getting a feel of the Mavic Pro which is actually a whole lot nicer than the Spark and P3SE. And when it came to landing, it was far more precise than the other two although when I RTH, it rose first before settling down to descend. It rotated a bit and I suppose it was comparing the ground image but it landed at almost the same spot it took off from.

Here are the two logs:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I had some issues with the other two drones in the first weeks and after watching videos of other people sharing their solutions, I was able to eventually fix the issues and start flying more. So I am prepared to accept that the same situation is being experienced with the Mavic Pro and some people tell me the software should be pretty stable by now.

I am beginning to suspect it could be the controller's connection to the tablet. If the RC can maintain a signal to operate the drone but the tablet screen shows SIGNAL LOST and IMAGE TRANSMISSION LOST, then could it be that somewhere between the RC and the tablet, there's a fault? I have used different cables, as I said, and the problem doesn't go away.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A6.
Does this look familiar???

I have had no luck with that tablet. It simply does not have the processing power any more.
I've rooted mine and rolled the Go app back to .09.
I use a Chinese superphone now.

Reactions: MavicCF
Does this look familiar???

I have had no luck with that tablet. It simply does not have the processing power any more.
I've rooted mine and rolled the Go app back to .09.
I use a Chinese superphone now.

Yes! That is exactly what appeared on my screen, the very same two messages. Your information is really appreciated. Can you suggest what tablet I should buy? I am in Malaysia but probably some models you recommend will be available here too.

I want a big screen but as it is only for the drone, I don't really want to spend too much money. A phone screen is too small for me.

Glad I could help!
I have a friend that bought a Lenovo tab 4, it was very cheap, and uses an early snap dragon processor, he is using all the latest app and firmware on a Mavic Air, and he says its faultless. (he was using a Samsung Tab A too, no good!)

Glad I could help!
I have a friend that bought a Lenovo tab 4, it was very cheap, and uses an early snap dragon processor, he is using all the latest app and firmware on a Mavic Air, and he says its faultless. (he was using a Samsung Tab A too, no good!)

Thanks very much for the tip. I'll look into it. Hopefully, it is the solution as I would hate to spend the money on a new tablet and find that the problem doesn't go away. I had bought the Samsung just for flying and it has worked fine with the Spark and P3SE but maybe as you say, it doesn't have sufficient processing power for the Mavic Pro.

I did exactly as you did. I bought it for the Mavic as a stand alone device. It worked fine untill DJI brought out 4.1.22 and it was a no go. The app has become that bloated now with features and security measures that you really do need somewhat of a high end device to run it!
I had heard that at the very least you needed a snap dragon processor, so when I found the Lenovo had an early version, and mentioned it to my friend (who couldn't fly at all because the brand new Tab A wouldn't work!) He tried it and as I said, he loves it! I hope it continues to work for him!

I did exactly as you did. I bought it for the Mavic as a stand alone device. It worked fine untill DJI brought out 4.1.22 and it was a no go. The app has become that bloated now with features and security measures that you really do need somewhat of a high end device to run it!
I had heard that at the very least you needed a snap dragon processor, so when I found the Lenovo had an early version, and mentioned it to my friend (who couldn't fly at all because the brand new Tab A wouldn't work!) He tried it and as I said, he loves it! I hope it continues to work for him!

Whenever I have had problems before, some people have told me that I should get an iPad and I will have no problems. But those things are not cheap and while I do want a good unit to use, I really don't feel like spending so much money. I have already bought 4 drones in 12 months which have cost me a lot! I wish DJI would offer integrated display screens with their controllers.

Try:
• Cleaning RAM - deleting un-needed programs and files
• Turn off caching to the tablet
• Close all other programs
• Fly in airplane mode
• Try a different USB cable
• Make sure there is no cable plugged into the side of the RC
• Downgrade Go 4 to an earlier version (I use 4.1.15)
• If you get it working, turn off auto-updating so it will not change

You can try these before you buy another. I have a Tab A and it works fine but it is underpowered.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom