DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Hobby LAANC system vs Old System

You can submit a request for authorization here:

View attachment 78375

That literally is under the section for Part 107 pilots so I'm confused about why anyone thinks it is intended for Recreational pilot use. If a recreational pilot actually succeeds in getting an authorization document via that process, it explicitly references Part 107 as well. (so I hope they have a 107 certificate if they plan to fly with under that authorization, otherwise they will be violating 107.12)

Last edited:
So, please, point me to where there is a way for a recreational pilot to obtain an airspace authorization in an area not serviced by LAANC?
That's the only place to submit an authorization request at the moment. I thought @Possums was saying others have successfully submitted a request for recreational flights there. Maybe not though ?

You can submit a request for authorization here:

View attachment 78375
Yes, but a recreational pilot won't think to go through the Part 107 pages for authorization. In fact, a recreational pilot may not even have access to those pages.

Could a non-Part 107 pilot verify this?

Yes, but a recreational pilot won't think to go through the Part 107 pages for authorization. In fact, a recreational pilot may not even have access to those pages.

Could a non-Part 107 pilot verify this?

I'm your Hunkelberry - let you know if I hear back. Hunckleberry.gif

See my previous comment above. I was under the impression that @Possums was confirming other recreational pilots have made requests there. It seems that might not be the case at all.

One problem is airports not signing up for LAANC. Example is the airport in south Chandler. Small planes mostly but still get a 5 mile NFZ. LAANC not available, and can’t contact the tower for clearance anymore. Creates a potential risk to all and homes in the area.

Thomas B - I seem to live in the shadow of the very Chandler airport you reference above. And they STILL do not have LAANC available, all these months later. :(

-Verxion

Thomas B - I seem to live in the shadow of the very Chandler airport you reference above. And they STILL do not have LAANC available, all these months later. :(

-Verxion

This is nuts. :( Here is their website, which says to call:

I called them and they gave me “verbal approval”, but I have no record or way of proving I called and I believe the FAA has stated that verbal approvals are no longer a valid form of approval. Anyone know how to handle this?

-Verxion

This is nuts. :( Here is their website, which says to call:

I called them and they gave me “verbal approval”, but I have no record or way of proving I called and I believe the FAA has stated that verbal approvals are no longer a valid form of approval. Anyone know how to handle this?

-Verxion
I got my 2 year approval, encompassing the SE edge of the NFZ you mention, and also of Chandler Regional through FAA DroneZone. Easy and good communication. I did this as I got tired of having to go to AirMap and get approval for every flight. I keep the approval on my phone and printed with me when flying there just in case LEO asks. BTW, I have never asked DJI nor sought approval through them and software is all current.
I have had at least a dozen LEO patrols stop, none ever asked to see it. They apparently are watching for drug abusers there and now when the patrol officers come by we have a brief conversation and they always want to see what I’m imaging... interest, not investigative work.

I’m amateur, not pro. Can I get an approval as you mention for a longer period of time?

Also, you mentioned getting approval in AirMap. Can I actually do that as an amateur?

Thanks!!!

-Verxion

I’m amateur, not pro. Can I get an approval as you mention for a longer period of time?

Also, you mentioned getting approval in AirMap. Can I actually do that as an amateur?

Thanks!!!

-Verxion
Honestly not sure, but it only takes a minute or two to ask and there is no penalty. Consider taking the 107 exam, eventually you’ll have to do it anyway. Then it will be much clearer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman