DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPads (including iPad Mini) announced

Thus far all of Apple's devices have had their GPS integrated on the Cellular chip which is the reason why you need to have a Cellular model to have GPS. There is nothing saying that because you have a cellular model that you must be connected to a mobile network.

Regards
Ari

What would I be missing (not getting) in terms of functionality, if I use cellar model of iPad mini, but with no sim card in it?

What would I be missing (not getting) in terms of functionality, if I use cellar model of iPad mini, but with no sim card in it?

Hi Palmary

If you use a Celluar iPad without network connection you will not have live map access so you will need to pre cache your maps before you leave home. There are some YouTube tutorials on how to do that, I've not had to as I have network connections on both of my controller devices so I can't instruct you how. Without network if you do not pre cache you will still see a relative position of the aircraft and your position in the display just no topography, streets etc as the map will not be loaded. It's really not a deal breaker unless you are flying way Beyond VLOS and become disoriented or the aircraft goes down in which case you'll still have GPS co ordinates of where it went down just no reference points of interest you can get your bearings from on the map display. As BVLOS is not allowed in most places for most pilots no issue I guess.

The other issue that comes up with WiFi only iPads is that if you move from your take off point and you want to update your RTH position to where you are are now (particularly of issue if you are in a boat or car) then you may not not be able to do it (some people say that GPS equipped controllers will update your homepoint location some say it is done by the Go 4 App, I've never felt inclined to experiment lol). As you were looking at a cellular model even without network connection you are fine on that score.

Really as long as you have GPS you can at a pinch live without Data, I like to have it but I fly on a commercial basis so it makes my life much easier. Some people hotspot from their phones of course but I don't like to have any extra 2.4Ghz EMR near the controller, I use an OTG on my Spark rather than the WiFi controller to device connection and turn off Wifi, BT and NFC and leave only the 4G Network operating on my controller device when I am in the air with any of my aircraft and leave my mobile phone in the car. You can make your own call on that one.

That's about all I can think of. Someone else might think of something else.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Nszasz and Jim747
Reactions: Jim747
I am trying to decide whether to buy a cellular Ipad Mini 5 or go with the smart controller .... decisions decisions decisions

Keep in mind that the smart controller is at this time Mavic 2 centric. I was expecting to see other aircraft supported by now but that hasn't happened. Even if you only own a Mavic 2 now are you sure that will always be the case? The next question is then "how annoyed will I be to have to buy a second device if I get another aircraft that isn't supported?". If the answer is "a lot" then just go straight to apple.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Reactions: monchan
Interesting. I learned early on to never expect anything from DJI.
They travel their own path.

I was also thinking about buying this new iPad mini. Should be perfect for reading in bed and flying my mavic pro.

I'm looking at a new iPad Mini 2019 (they decided not to call it the Mini 5...... you figure?) but don't tell my Mrs lol

I know a lot of people are still using the mini4 quite successfully but there are an increasing number of people who report frame lag issues and overheating over the last year as the Go4 app gets more features. I'm pretty sure it's mostly people who use their mini for a lot of general use as well as flying apps and hammer it, but either way the 4 year old A8 processor was a little old to invest the same amount on as they were asking for the new iPad Gen6 and when it's for commercial flying and has to work.. well I went for the Gen 6 anyway. If I'd have known the mini 2019 was 6 months away I might have held off but probably not as I needed a device then and there. With the mini 2019 having the A12 processor it should future proof me for years even in commercial use so I might grab one and pass the Gen 6 on to one of my other pilots.

On the other hand if you are flying as a hobby and you can dedicate the device just to running flight apps you should be OK with a mini4 and if the price drops significantly on runout it may make it a worth while buy still. It'll be your needs and budget that decide the answer for you.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
I have Ipad mini 4 for about a year, with cell, worked fine with Mavic Pro. Now I have Mavic 2 Pro and latest DJI app and now problem starts.
Unseen before error message "CPU overload" it means goodbye for control by seeing the screen and if you drone is out of sight then need some good luck to get it back under control. Even when the Ipad recovers watch out for the lag since the pictures isn't real time any longer and few second delays can be crucial for a crash.
Also there is heat: I mean hot to touch. CPU is in full load the air temp is about 35C, sun and there is a thermal shoot down just in the middle of the great flight over some elephant herd between some large trees but now w/o seeing where the drone goes. Luckily I could see the drone and the controller works fine so could return home and about 1/2 hour later the Ipad is ready for action again (cooled of under a great fan.) iPad Mini max temp of 95F/35C
overheatingipad.png
Ooh about the 400nits; well that is great as long as no direct sun light to the screen but then good luck to see what is going on and even if it shaded can only see some shapes but no colour or fine detail or perhaps framing and exposure.
Sunset sure, sunrise sure but between? Europe good most of the time but more sunny parts of the world IS a Problem.
There is already many report on Mavicpilots about Ipad mini4 and DJI4 Go app.

CPU Overload - IPad Mini going to the shelf

So I'm looking for upgrading to CRYSTALSKY since I fly during day light and the 1000nits does make the difference. Also it could handle the CPU load and don't have to worry about thermal shutdown during flight

I am trying to decide whether to buy a cellular Ipad Mini 5 or go with the smart controller .... decisions decisions decisions

Don’t buy a Mini 4 - it’s ancient technology. If it’s a choice between the smart controller and an iPad then you will still save a lot of money by going with an iPad 5 with the A12 processor etc.

The other thing to consider is for how long will DJI continue to support the Mini 4. I read that DJI Go 4 will no longer load on standard size iPads released around the same time as the Mini 4.

So I'm looking for upgrading to CRYSTALSKY since I fly during day light and the 1000nits does make the difference. Also it could handle the CPU load and don't have to worry about thermal shutdown during flight

I'd like something with 1000nits but the CrystalSky loses me on a few points.

It's android, I love android. I have within the family about 14 or 15 mobile devices and the only two that are Apple are the ones for the aircraft. The Android Go4 app is just not as stable as the IOS one, that's mostly because of all the variant skins on the the different brands of Android and how they differ from reference Android for which the app was written. The CrystalSky runs much closer to reference Android than any phone or tablet manufacturers use and yes, it is without doubt about the most stable Android platform out there but (there's always one "but" right?) you still hear of people having the occasional rare app crash even on CrystalSky. Now I may just have been incredibly lucky and fluked it but I can tell you exactly how many app crashes I have had since I went over to IOS for DJI products ... zero.

Loading non DJI included apps on the CrystalSky is problematic. Originally you couldn't load any other flight apps at all, I understand that is being slowly improved upon but unless I can load and run DJIFlightPlanner, Pix4D, DroneDeploy, Litchi, CANIFLYTHERE and several other apps along with DJI GO and GO4 when and as I choose then from a drone business standpoint (and for more than a few hobbyists too I'll bet) it's a non starter for me.

No cellular data, ok we're all aware that you can get by without cellular but (again from a drone business standpoint) I already have enough variables to handle when I go out to fly a job that I don't need to have to muck around for an hour precaching maps and worry about the other non cellular limitations. I know that's not going to be true for everyone but it's nice to have the option I feel.

Price ... $AU1700 for a 7.65 Inch Crystal sky. Well, in perspective that's what I paid for both my iPad and the iPhone which is my backup controller if the iPad hits the floor ... they both have cellular and the ability to load any app without issue for that as well ... and one is my business phone as chief pilot as well.

On the other hand let's look at the shortcomings of the IOS devices

They're not as bright, no argument from me .... so I bought two hoods ummmmm, Can't think of anything else sorry.

I realise that other people have different needs and will prioritise differently of course.

Regards
Ari

I have Ipad mini 4 for about a year, with cell, worked fine with Mavic Pro. Now I have Mavic 2 Pro and latest DJI app and now problem starts.
Unseen before error message "CPU overload" it means goodbye for control by seeing the screen and if you drone is out of sight then need some good luck to get it back under control. Even when the Ipad recovers watch out for the lag since the pictures isn't real time any longer and few second delays can be crucial for a crash.
Also there is heat: I mean hot to touch. CPU is in full load the air temp is about 35C, sun and there is a thermal shoot down just in the middle of the great flight over some elephant herd between some large trees but now w/o seeing where the drone goes. Luckily I could see the drone and the controller works fine so could return home and about 1/2 hour later the Ipad is ready for action again (cooled of under a great fan.) iPad Mini max temp of 95F/35C
View attachment 66963
Ooh about the 400nits; well that is great as long as no direct sun light to the screen but then good luck to see what is going on and even if it shaded can only see some shapes but no colour or fine detail or perhaps framing and exposure.
Sunset sure, sunrise sure but between? Europe good most of the time but more sunny parts of the world IS a Problem.
There is already many report on Mavicpilots about Ipad mini4 and DJI4 Go app.

CPU Overload - IPad Mini going to the shelf

I also have the Ipad Mini 4 and am finding it does struggle now, that is why I am considering either the Ipad Mini "5" or the smart controller ..... I love the convenience of a single unit such as the smart controller but I am not sure if the screen will be big enough for my older eyes. I need to make my decision soon however.

It's android, I love android. I have within the family about 14 or 15 mobile devices and the only two that are Apple are the ones for the aircraft. The Android Go4 app is just not as stable as the IOS one,

Being an out and out Android user myself, I had to opt for iOS for my DJI drones. And I haven’t had any problems since except low screen brightness in the sun. Unless DJI reconsiders reducing the hefty price tag for their Crystalsky Controller, its not an option for me. My iPad Mini 4 works just fine.
As a hobbyist, affordability matters. I’d rather buy another drone or drone accessories with that money.

In November I purchased a 6th generation iPad from a Xfinity promotion for $7 a month for 24 months, which comes to just over half of the $329 price. I got it specifically for my MP. I love the way it works with DJI Go, but it is just too large and cumbersome. I went back to using my Samsung Galaxy 9+. When I saw Apple was coming out with a new iPad Mini I checked into it on their website. Apple allows you to trade in your old iPad for a gift card. So I put in my serial number and was told I could get $175.00 for my iPad. They are sending me shipping material to send it to them to decide it's value according to use. I hardly used it and it's in like new condition, so I'm expecting to get the full $175. Once I get the gift card I'm going to purchase the new Mini. My wife has an older Mini, I never used it to fly because I hear of issues with them and DJI Go. But it does fit nicely on my aftermarket bracket. My old eyes ain't that great and I'm looking forward to a bigger screen that is a more manageable size.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure