DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CPU Overload - IPad Mini going to the shelf

m0j0

Reactions
Soooo. Took a break flying the last month or so.. came back updated as I usually do and whammo. My experience with the iPad Mini now stinks. Lag... blips...video drops.. I never had these problems before. I know it isn't my Mini even though I have a Mini 2.. it's DJI GO4!

So I used to recommend iOS for DJI apps. Not any longer. If you have a shield connect it and put the iOS stuff away until DJI fixes the app because right now it's absolute garbage.

Reactions: Wt3786 and AKent
I fly with a m2p and am on the latest Go app and I have none of those issues you are having .
I was seeing the CPU full thing 2 versions back after flying out several batteries but I alway keep my video going and I only have 16 gb mini with lots of other stuff on it . Thought that might be why but it is not
absolute garbage.
as you put it .
JMO

The cable provided by DJI.

I fly with a mini 2 and am on the latest Go app and I have none of those issues you are having
JMO

Well I hear and envy your experience. My experience, up until recent, has been stellar. What would you call it if.. you had consistent hiccups on the video downlink followed by constant CPU error msgs. Sometimes 1-2 second delays. To be honest, I would rather fly my Phantom 3 than the Mavic on iOS. My current experience on iOS is absolute garbage. I actually was thinking about getting a mini4 because I thought it was the mini. It isn't, it is the Go4 app on iOS. So I will use the shield for the Mavic and the iPad to send emails.

I will be the first to come in and revise my statement when I get the app working again.

Well I'm back to ear crow... at least with qualifications. I deleted the application deleted all the flight apps. Litchi, DJI Go and DJI GO4. Launched tonight and had no errors. I don't have perfect downlink like I did before but that might just be something I have to get used to until I upgrade. I will fly tomorrow when I can fly in the same conditions I flew in today before I go back to the iPad completely

Really? The little short one? How do you get it to reach to the ipad's port? I had to get a longer cable and use the bottom USB port on the controller.

Yes, when troubleshooting I used the short cord so that I could rule it out. The cord wasn't the problem. It appears that complete removal of the program and reinstall fixed the problem. Will test tomorrow, with the same parameters I had today and let you guys know what happens. I flew tonight and it is markedly better. Which is great because I prefer the iPad to the shield.

Ok so I did what is recommended in this thread. I deleted all the flight applications and then completed a soft reboot. I actually rebooted twice to Mike certain. Then reinstalled. I flew the first battery without problems just like yesterday. I thought all was good. Well I flew the second battery and started getting the error again. Then I started getting the jumpy video again. So I'm back to shelving the iPad . For good measure I booted up the shield immediately after the 2nd flight on the 3rd battery and it flew flawlessly on Go4. I thought the issue might be heat related on the bird or the device. I can safely eliminate the Mavic as being the issue. Litchi on both systems works great but I'm leary about flying too much on Litchi while I still have warranty and care refresh remaining. This is my 2nd Mavic both are perfect but I can't fly with 1-2 second pauses in my video feed every 4 seconds. That is just garbage. I'm not brand loyal to any item. Right now I'm putting the iPad on the shelf until this gets sorted out.

For full disclosure and discussion I am using the following settings:
video feed - normal
Cache Video -on
Cache Audio - off
Cache maps - on
Airplane mode - off
Wifi - on
Applications - all closed
Case - yes I have the iPad in a life proof case / tablet doesn't get warm so not sure if the tablet is running warm or not

Cheers DW

And again.. I have both so I don't care which one works. For reference I prefer the iOS version. It just seems more refined and has been solid .. while previous version of the android version were glitchy. Role reversal for me right now.

Ok perhaps it's the case, it could be causing the mini to overheat. I will try again without the case. That would explain why I have no issues for the initial flight then have problems on the second battery.

Again, can you explain how you are using the short DJI cable with the iPad mini?

I would swap the usb cable. The cables fail often and can cause all sorts of glitches.

Again, can you explain how you are using the short DJI cable with the iPad mini?
It is actually pretty simple. I plugged in to the controller with the device and controller sitting side by side.. I have done this with Mini and the Air 2. It doesn't go in a holder and looks like an an L. I first discovered the method when I was 30 miles away from my truck on a jeep trail in my Razr. I had to use the small cable to connect the mini and frame a shot. I left the longer cable in my truck and wasn't about to drive back to get it. I have several cables and don't think that is the issue. Just for laughs though I will swap out the cables and pay particular attention to see if it fixes the problem. If it does.. great.. grand. Like I said before, I prefer flying with my mini over the shield and would be happy if there was a simple solution like swapping the cable.

It was 98 degrees here today. I flew with the iPad in the case it was exactly 3 minutes before i got the error. I let it cool down. Went out at noon without the case. I flew for 15 minutes before i got the error. I absolutely think it has to do with the ambient temperature and heat building up in the case. At least that was the reason for the almost immediate CPU problem. Without the case it happens it just takes longer for the mini to warm up.

I'm no apple expert and I'm no computer wiz kid but my theory is this - The ipad Mini2 is probably borderline on CPU computing power for this application. As soon as the CPU gets warm it throttles the performance or just doesn't perform as well. When that happens the result is the CPU msg and the ensuing choppy video. I fly litchi without any problem on the mini 2. That is probably because it is less CPU intensive. Maybe DJI fixes this in an update or removes the error msg. No matter, I won't fly with the ipad mini2 until it is fixed. I will also stop recommending it to other fliers.

I guess I never realized how hot the mini was getting inside the case. Which is why I believe I was getting the error and most of you are not. The heat here in the desert coupled with being in the case amplifies the issue. I am considering selling the mini now as the sole purpose of the purchase was to use with the Mavic. I will give DJI a week or so to fix this issue but I'm not holding my breath. I have read on other boards that DJI believes it is a device issue not a problem with their software. I do to.

Thanks for the assistance.

My Ipad Mini was faultless now following updates I now have regular CPU overloads and IMU warning messages when using DJIGO
So was mine and then.. completely useless. Let me ask you a question. Are you flying with a case? What was the ambient temperature? I have had two terrible outings with the mini. Once the ambient temperature was around 102 the second time was yesterday and the temperature was 98.

My suggestion is for you to try to keep the mini as cool as possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada