DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CPU Overload - IPad Mini going to the shelf

I have been flying with this mini almost 2 years now and this hasn't started till a few updates back . I'm on 10.3.3 now . I wonder if that has something to do with it . I use the same case as m0j0 and it get's hot here in MS and have had that issue but that I expected . I will just cool it down as it shuts down then all is well again .

So I'm not ******* crazy.

I do prefer flying with the mini. I don't want to shell out 4 bills for a new device. I hope DJI repairs this in a firmware update. I don't think they will though. I agree, I flew exclusively with the mini nd didn't really notice a problem before the most recent updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jeff48
Just got brand new cables. I thought I was bat(expletive deleted) crazy. I'm not. I will put the mini to the test this weekend.

I use a iPad mini 4 with cellular and it works great. I didn't want to spend a fortune so I bought a refurb off GameStop.com. They have the cellular one for $269 and the wi-fi only one are cheaper. Their refurb's are like new.

The CPU has a lot more power that a mini 2.

I use a iPad mini 4 with cellular and it works great. I didn't want to spend a fortune so I bought a refurb off GameStop.com. They have the cellular one for $269 and the wi-fi only one are cheaper. Their refurb's are like new.

The CPU has a lot more power that a mini 2.

This is a great option. Fair price.

This is a great option. Fair price.

They are also unlocked and can be used on T-mobile. It has worked great for me and the data plan are really cheap. I have uploaded live video to Facebook and YouTube. It seems to have all the CPU power needed. Just make sure and get a 4. The 3's are basically the same processors are the 2's.

I use a mini 2 and had the first glitch when I was experimenting with follow me mode. I switched to my iPhone 7 and it worked perfectly. DJI was exhibiting at AirVenture so I talked to a rep about my issue and he said there is a huge difference in processing power of the mini 2 and mini 4. Last week, I updated the firmware and experienced a few video glitches - again, no problems so I'm now convinced the mini 2 has barely enough horsepower so an upgrade is in my future.

Not sure this 100% applies... but I was having horrible issues with screen going dark due to overheating. Tested Iphone 7 plus, and 5S. Since then went to the IPAD Mini 4, wireless only, and LOVE it. I had Amazon points from my AMEX so it cost me about $100 which also helped on my decision.

It is actually pretty simple. I plugged in to the controller with the device and controller sitting side by side.. I have done this with Mini and the Air 2. It doesn't go in a holder and looks like an an L. I first discovered the method when I was 30 miles away from my truck on a jeep trail in my Razr. I had to use the small cable to connect the mini and frame a shot. I left the longer cable in my truck and wasn't about to drive back to get it. I have several cables and don't think that is the issue. Just for laughs though I will swap out the cables and pay particular attention to see if it fixes the problem. If it does.. great.. grand. Like I said before, I prefer flying with my mini over the shield and would be happy if there was a simple solution like swapping the cable.

It was 98 degrees here today. I flew with the iPad in the case it was exactly 3 minutes before i got the error. I let it cool down. Went out at noon without the case. I flew for 15 minutes before i got the error. I absolutely think it has to do with the ambient temperature and heat building up in the case. At least that was the reason for the almost immediate CPU problem. Without the case it happens it just takes longer for the mini to warm up.

I'm no apple expert and I'm no computer wiz kid but my theory is this - The ipad Mini2 is probably borderline on CPU computing power for this application. As soon as the CPU gets warm it throttles the performance or just doesn't perform as well. When that happens the result is the CPU msg and the ensuing choppy video. I fly litchi without any problem on the mini 2. That is probably because it is less CPU intensive. Maybe DJI fixes this in an update or removes the error msg. No matter, I won't fly with the ipad mini2 until it is fixed. I will also stop recommending it to other fliers.

I guess I never realized how hot the mini was getting inside the case. Which is why I believe I was getting the error and most of you are not. The heat here in the desert coupled with being in the case amplifies the issue. I am considering selling the mini now as the sole purpose of the purchase was to use with the Mavic. I will give DJI a week or so to fix this issue but I'm not holding my breath. I have read on other boards that DJI believes it is a device issue not a problem with their software. I do to.

Thanks for the assistance.
I live in south Florida and I know I get these errors because my iPad Mini gets to hot. The 1st time I got it I went to take the iPad off the remote and it was so hot it was crazy. I sat in the car holding it up to the vent with the ac on. After a few minutes I gave it another try and it was fine for a few more minutes till it was very hot again.

I get glitches and delays in my iPad Mini only when it's processor gets overheated. It's been associated exclusively with really hot weather and maximum flying times. I put an aluminum heat shield on the back of it just as the weather cooled off, so I can't tell whether it works yet.

I don't think this has anything to do with overheating. I've been using the iPad Mini 3 for over 6 months with zero issues until recently after DJI Go was updated. It's much cooler here now vs the middle of summer when I was running it for an hour per session swapping 3 batteries. Edit: I didn't install the iOS 10.3.3 update, I'm still on iOS 10.3.1 so that's not the issue. It has to be DJI Go 4 as that's the only thing that's changed.

Last edited:
I'm glad I went straight to the iPad Mini 4. I took my Mavic to Israel to shoot video at a new archaeological excavation in Shiloh, Israel. From my video, you can see that the wind is blowing very hard...and it is about 95 degrees F...but the Mavic held steady and the iPad Mini 4 never falters...great combo...

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Sorry if the dead horse has been beaten here. I also don't think it has anything to do with overheating. The iPad mini 2 is going on four years old, and is EOL at this point. My 5th gen iPod Touch is one year older and is excruciatingly slow even with some basic tasks these days and wouldn't risk running the Go app on it.

Soooo. Took a break flying the last month or so.. came back updated as I usually do and whammo. My experience with the iPad Mini now stinks. Lag... blips...video drops.. I never had these problems before. I know it isn't my Mini even though I have a Mini 2.. it's DJI GO4!

So I used to recommend iOS for DJI apps. Not any longer. If you have a shield connect it and put the iOS stuff away until DJI fixes the app because right now it's absolute garbage.

I made the mistake of going into the IOS Beta program with my iPad mini 3. CPU load error all the time now. I can't roll back the OS, it's only a 16GB'er which means I am constantly clearing the cache trying to keep it lean and mean. Sometimes it works ok. This is a uni-tasking tablet, it's only function is to be the "Falconry Glove" to my "Falcon". Now, I may have ruined it, I have to get a Mini 4 or something. Plus, now I really want Falconry Glove maybe a real Falcon too :)

I have the iPad Mini 2 and I live in Arizona where heat is always an issue. This summer, flying has been almost impossible -- it's just too darn hot...for both the Mavic and the iPad.

Can you fly above 100F? Yes, but after a few minutes I get all the warnings about mobile CPU overloaded (or whatever), and video downlink drops to slide-show speeds so I know the iPad is throttling back the CPU to prevent overheating.

You can still fly like this, but it's no fun.

Reactions: Tinmania and m0j0
I have the iPad Mini 2 and I live in Arizona where heat is always an issue. This summer, flying has been almost impossible -- it's just too darn hot...for both the Mavic and the iPad.

Can you fly above 100F? Yes, but after a few minutes I get all the warnings about mobile CPU overloaded (or whatever), and video downlink drops to slide-show speeds so I know the iPad is throttling back the CPU to prevent overheating.

You can still fly like this, but it's no fun.

Exactly... it is the limitation of the mini 2.. it was great for a long time but now it just doesn't have the processing power to run apps when it gets hot. I'm certain it throttles down and when it does that you might as well shut it down and fly with no display. I have tried every suggestion in this thread except ice packs.. There is no way I do that. My only question is do I go mini 4 or iPad Pro.

I don't think this has anything to do with overheating..

I'm absolutely certain that it is related to the mini overheating because the app is resource intensive. There is nothing wrong with the app it just requires more processing power.

I've been using the iPad Mini 3 for over 6 months with zero issues until recently after DJI Go was updated.

We agree. The update requires more system resources. When it is hot, the mini, like any other device, throttles down the CPU. For other devices with more power throttling the CPU doesn't effect the performance enough to cause the video to go into "ain't worth spit mode."

. It's much cooler here now vs the middle of summer when I was running it for an hour per session swapping 3 batteries. Edit: I didn't install the iOS 10.3.3 update, I'm still on iOS 10.3.1 so that's not the issue. It has to be DJI Go 4 as that's the only thing that's changed.

Again we agree. It is the DJI Go 4 application. The fix for the mini 2 is to go backwards on the update or.... or.... fly in cooler temps. I have a feeling that subsequent updates will be just a troublesome for Mini 2 users so... I'm upgrading to a mini 4 or a Pro

Have you all turned off video caching on the app, so the mini doesn't cache the video only the AC does

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake