DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CPU Overload - IPad Mini going to the shelf

Those temps exceed Apple's specs for the iPad Mini max temp of 95F. That might be your problem especially with using a case. Not really the fault of the iPad though. It's a shame because flying with the mini is quite nice.

Try taping a instant cold pack to the back of the iPad and see if the solves the issue.

Well we shall see. I'm putting it to the test again today. It's 78 degrees and temperature mid day should be 88 which is well under apples specs. I'm going to fly this morning with the temps 68 and again at noon when it reaches the high for the day.

. Not really the fault of the iPad though. It's a shame because flying with the mini is quite nice..
That may be true but I always think it is important to know the limitations of your equipment. If I can't fly with the iPad mini 2 when it over 95 degrees that is going to be a limiting factor for me. I live in the desert.

Try taping a instant cold pack to the back of the iPad and see if the solves the issue.

It's a good suggestion but...... No, I refuse to do that. I will find a solution. The solution might be that I don't fly the iPad mini 2 any longer. Like I said, the shield has been very solid and I don't need to clear my go bag or ice chest for a cool pack.

So was mine and then.. completely useless. Let me ask you a question. Are you flying with a case? What was the ambient temperature? I have had two terrible outings with the mini. Once the ambient temperature was around 102 the second time was yesterday and the temperature was 98.

My suggestion is for you to try to keep the mini as cool as possible.
No case and i'm from the UK so our temperatures are never excessive. For me the temperature appears to be irrelevant. It just gives warnings for no particular reason - hovering, not hovering, recording, not recording, close to home, in the distance, there appears to be no real pattern. The only thing I use the Ipad for is flying, nothing else on there,

No case and i'm from the UK so our temperatures are never excessive. For me the temperature appears to be irrelevant. It just gives warnings for no particular reason - hovering, not hovering, recording, not recording, close to home, in the distance, there appears to be no real pattern. The only thing I use the Ipad for is flying, nothing else on there,

I agree the warning is not relevant. I has nothing to do with the Mavic so where you are flying or the stress on the Mavic does not affect the CPU. What is relevant is what comes after the warning. Which glitchy video.

I appreciate all the help from everyone trying to help me get this sorted out. Here are today's attempts.

First I optimized all the settings per the guidelines set forth by Msinger.. I changed to a different cable as per the suggestions here and I removed the mini from the lifeproof case. The ambient temperature is 84 F well within Apples parameters.

Same result - 9 minutes into the flight the error came up... again. Shortly thereafter, the video was choppy. I kept flying then the video feed was back to incredibly choppy with 2 second delays.

Once again, i connected the shield on the second battery and had no hesitation no errors. So I can rule out the Mavic itself. It's the combination of the application and the mini 2. Time for an upgrade I think.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by a soft boot but please try this method to fully reboot a Apple device and trigger a memory defrag.

1) double click home button and upward swipe to close all open apps.

2) simultaneously press both the power on and home buttons, keep holding both (this is very important).
3) keep holding, screen will go black.
4) continue holding, Apple Logo will appear
5) continue hold both buttons till Apple logo disappears, screen goes black again.
6) now you can let go of both buttons.
7) now start device normally, it may take awhile depending on how messed up memory is.

Now try flying with the Go4 app and see if your issue has gone away

Something to consider for your iPad Mini:

iPad Active Cooler

I live in South Jersey, where it’s often in the mid-80’s and high humidity in the summer, and I fly my MavicPro and Spark with 2 iPad Mini 4s and I have not had any problems like you’ve described.

I do use a high quality, 3rd party MIFI Certified cable between the RC center mounted USB port and the iPad 4s.

Good Luck and Safe Flying

Last edited:
I turned on airplane mode and decreased brightness just under full bright and i have not had this issue reoccur.

I'm not sure what you mean by a soft boot but please try this method to fully reboot a Apple device and trigger a memory defrag.

1) double click home button and upward swipe to close all open apps.

2) simultaneously press both the power on and home buttons, keep holding both (this is very important).
3) keep holding, screen will go black.
4) continue holding, Apple Logo will appear
5) continue hold both buttons till Apple logo disappears, screen goes black again.
6) now you can let go of both buttons.
7) now start device normally, it may take awhile depending on how messed up memory is.

Now try flying with the Go4 app and see if your issue has gone away

Will try it

I turned on airplane mode and decreased brightness just under full bright and i have not had this issue reoccur.

That might help. I will try that as well.

iPad Active Cooler

I live in South Jersey, where it’s often in the mid-80’s and high humidity in the summer, and I fly my MavicPro and Spark with 2 iPad Mini 4s and I have not had any problems like you’ve described.

I do use a high quality, 3rd party MIFI Certified cable between the RC center mounted USB port and the iPad 4s.

Good Luck and Safe Flying

I have several of the certified cables that hasn't helped

iPad Active Cooler

2 iPad Mini 4s and I have not had any problems like you’ve described.

I don't have a mini 4 I have a mini 2. The processors are not the same. My hypothesis is the mini 2 is pretty close to being maxed out on CPU usage. When it gets warm, I'm guessing it slows the performance enough to cause the error and more importantly significantly deteriorate the video downlink. I have only read of one mini 4 having the CPU problem and it was repaired by rebooting.

I have taken the advice of everyone and attempted reinstalling software.. changing from one certified cable to another certified cable. Optimizing the iPad. Optimizing the application. Shutting off video cache etc... The only modification that made any difference was taking the mini 2 out of the case. I was getting 4 minutes into the flight before the error and video downlink went into the crapper. After removing the case I got 9 minutes before the problem. If I fly at night when it is in the 70's no problem at all. Sooo now I rebooted according to the instructions and will attempt another install. Like I said I don't think it will work but hey it's worth a try. As far as doing something like using a cooling pad...burying the mini 2 in a cold pack etc,... naw. I need a solution that just works. Right now the shield works like a champ I will use that.

The mini is in great shape with a lifeproof case it should be easy to unload. I only use the mini for gps when I'm riding the Razr in the desert and flight control of the Mavic. I don't really have the space or the patience to be babying the thing to get it to work. No way I pack cooler pads or ice for the mini 2.

Yeah I imagine reducing the brightness might assist but I already have a problem seeing it as is...

As you live in a very hot area you could do worse than try the CrystalSky which has onboard fans keeping it cool. Also easy to see without using a sunhood in bright midday sun [emoji1303]

As you live in a very hot area you could do worse than try the CrystalSky which has onboard fans keeping it cool. Also easy to see without using a sunhood in bright midday sun [emoji1303]

That is a good idea the only reason I haven't gone that route is the lack of third party support.

Reactions: Mike357
Those temps exceed Apple's specs for the iPad Mini max temp of 95F..

Flew today.. 85 degrees .. used the approved cable same result

Everyone thinks it's the cable.. I just ordered brand new certified cables to replace the certified cable I was using before. If it isn't ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom