DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CPU Overload - IPad Mini going to the shelf

Just a side note on using IOS ...
I have an old iPad mini that I am using to fly my Mavic. Haven't had problems with it. I wanted to be able to do a video screen capture of the flight and found out that I could download a beta version of IOS 11 which allows the user to do a full video screen capture if the flight. Once I downloaded the beta version of iOS 11 I had massive problems with the video pausing and jumping, just with using the new iOS version and not even trying a video screen capture. I downgraded back to iOS 10.3 and the problem went away except for an occasional "video cache full" message but the video seems okay.
So my takeaway is that for iOS, be careful when iOS 11 comes out this fall. You may not want to upgrade because it apparently used a lot more CPU resources than current version.

Video cache full is simply you have run out of allotted space. I'm ok with optimizing the mini 2 by turning off some of the functionality of the application but to some degree the functions I'm turning off like video cache etc are the reasons I prefer the iOS version of the app. So I'm again back to it is time to move up to a more powerful option. iPad Pro is where I'm leaning.

It has to be the new version of DJI Go plus the heat. I have an ipad mini 2 that I use with my mavic that is on the DJI Go version right before it forces you to relogin and register. I have never seen this warning and I have flown in 95 degree heat with the mini 2.

It has to be the new version of DJI Go plus the heat. I have an ipad mini 2 that I use with my mavic that is on the DJI Go version right before it forces you to relogin and register. I have never seen this warning and I have flown in 95 degree heat with the mini 2.
Agree... I had the same experience. I'm moving on from the mini 2.

I'm not sure what you mean by a soft boot but please try this method to fully reboot a Apple device and trigger a memory defrag.

1) double click home button and upward swipe to close all open apps.

2) simultaneously press both the power on and home buttons, keep holding both (this is very important).
3) keep holding, screen will go black.
4) continue holding, Apple Logo will appear
5) continue hold both buttons till Apple logo disappears, screen goes black again.
6) now you can let go of both buttons.
7) now start device normally, it may take awhile depending on how messed up memory is.

Now try flying with the Go4 app and see if your issue has gone away

This for whatever reason caused my Ipad to not be able to activate cell service. No clue what happened

You can soft reset it but it won't work

I use a iPad mini 3 wifi only with 64gb memory which is used exclusively for flying my Mavic. I have never seen this issue of CPU overload, I suggest you have some other program consuming system resources.

As for Cache filling, the are two settings, first you can set the Cache maximum size and you can also set it to automatically delete the older data from the Cache.

Just throwing this out there, bought a used mini 2 16g wifi last night off CL. Did a factory reset, downloaded DJI go 4 and optimized other general ipad settings, I have no stutter or overheating on mine when I fly with video caching OFF, going to try with caching on today.

Ambient was 82* yesterday.

Just throwing this out there, bought a used mini 2 16g wifi last night off CL. Did a factory reset, downloaded DJI go 4 and optimized other general ipad settings, I have no stutter or overheating on mine when I fly with video caching OFF, going to try with caching on today.

Ambient was 82* yesterday.

Should be fine. 90 and up probably not.

I dont think it is a heat issue, it is the dji app. I turned mine on and booted my ipad up sunday. Was messing with camera settings indoors, after after 20 seconds i see this cpu warning that i have never seen since i bought my mavic and ipad mini 4 at the first of the year. Fan on the drone wasnt even on, this was all cold and off and happened very quick, i didnt notice any video feed glitches at the time just the warning. All my software is current issue firmware, never seen this until the most current update for the mavic and the app. I did not have anything running beside dji go 4.

I've just started getting the CPU Overload; appeared for the first time a few days ago, and now is apparent on just about every flight. Also the "Electromagnetic Interference" warning is recurring since day-one, on 3 out of four flights. Out of frustration and maybe curiosity, I tried turning "off" everything I have on, or near me; cell, anything bluetooth, smart-watch... It does seem to help, but has not totally eliminated either problem. Also, the iPad Mini-4 really does get warm;, I agree that heat build-up is a factor as someone suggested. Not sure what to do about that; live in AZ and it's 'summer'........

Hi Chad ,I also had all those Problems. Get a Ram Killer on your ipad .Also ensure after you have your map loaded , turn off all wifi and data and put in airplane mode. Then run the Ram Killer app.The other main thing re magnetic is if there is any reo Bar under concrete or any metal around take of area. My ipad now us designated for drone use only the less added apps the better.
Hope thus helps fix your problems. You will always get some glitches happening . Good luck

I agree that heat build-up is a factor as someone suggested. Not sure what to do about that; live in AZ and it's 'summer'........
Here are some things you could try:
  • Remove your iPad from the case (if it's in a case)
  • Fly in the shade
  • Attach a cooling device like an X-naut cooling mount (I haven't tried them)
  • If all else fails, use a different mobile device in the summer

Reactions: ZUCSTA
Here are some things you could try:
  • Remove your iPad from the case (if it's in a case)
  • Fly in the shade
  • Attach a cooling device like an X-naut cooling mount (I haven't tried them)
  • If all else fails, use a different mobile device in the summer
Yes .I encounter extreme heat up to 45°Celsius ,always have a spare device to give the other a break.Also just use common Sense , feel the heat of the Aircraft ,They cool down pretty Quick in shade or aircond. Car. Fly within the aircrafts capabilities and ones own situational awareness and you cant really go wrong. The amount of times i have seen people with batteries in direct sunlight in hot conditions beggars belief.

I agree that heat build-up is a factor as someone suggested. Not sure what to do about that
Here's what I did to solve the problem, I think. I've flown twice in 90+ degrees while in full sun without any overheating symptoms. Cannot recall where I found the heat sink, but it is important to use a heat sink adhesive. I used Arctic Aluminum from www.arcticsilver.com. God luck in AZ summer!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
Hi Chad ,I also had all those Problems. Get a Ram Killer on your ipad .Also ensure after you have your map loaded , turn off all wifi and data and put in airplane mode. Then run the Ram Killer app.The other main thing re magnetic is if there is any reo Bar under concrete or any metal around take of area. My ipad now us designated for drone use only the less added apps the better.
Hope thus helps fix your problems. You will always get some glitches happening . Good luck

Thank you! I'm pretty disappointed overall with the MPP. For a mature product it seems to have 'lots' of issues. I have been troubleshooting the CPU / Mag Interference / Motor Current warnings with DJI Support, and ultimately they said yesterday afternoon I should "send it in for trouble-shooting and repair". I purchased the Costco bundle, and as much as I hate to be a quitter, I think logic is telling me "return-to-vender". Tough decision as I purchased a new iPad Mini-4 and various Mavic accessories, as well as the DJI "Care" package, adding another $500+ and numerous other 'product-returns' to the equation. Thank you again, for your most sage council!

By way of a "for what it's worth" I did a full factory reset on my iPad Mini-4, and re-installed "just" Go-4 - no other apps. After the DJI firmware update (V01-04-004) I flew twice; once with the Mini's iOS native screen-recorder "ON" and once without. "With" produced very jerky / twitchy / freeze video, (thou no CPU error) while "Without" was a very normal / smooth video display. Thinking the Mini simply can't handle the CPU load of both Go-4 and the screen-recorder? I'm totally 'new' to iOS, but I might experiment with 'settings' and perhaps a couple of after-market screen-recorders, just to see!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78