DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones from Charleston, SC

Brian,

If you are Major Brian Shul, then that Avatar Photo must have been taken 50-years or so ago… That Brian Shul, like me, we both were born during President Harry S. Truman. And that photo makes you look like you would have studied about Truman in the history books… So, something besides that photo is "fishy…" ( LoL 😅 )

But, be that as it may, the limitations of flying your Mini 2 must be very disappointing… At least with your Part 107, you can fly up in the rare air when flying over structures…

I also fly a Mini 2 and I am also Part 107'd, but my Mini 2, like the SR-71 has some enhancements…

I charge my batteries with the lightning from Thunderstorm Supercells and my props are a "special order…" They were cast from the unique Vibranium-metal alloy that the Captain America's Shield was cast from by Dr. Myron MacLain.

I live inside a Zero Altitude Zone of Langley AFB (LFI) Class D Airspace and after I call Langley's ATC to coordinate my flights, I sometimes forget myself and I fly a bit too fast and a bit too high…

One time, I was flying in Sport Mode, I did not notice that the drone was already within the Airspace because I was flying so fast (465 MPH) and so high (15,650').

I had to take evasive action to avoid the F-22, and I quickly evaded the pursuit of the F-22 by Max climbing to 80,000' , 15,000 higher than the operation altitude the Raptor…

Since my Mini 2 is not authorized ADS-B nor does my Part 107 allow me to talk to Langley or Norfolk Tower I cannot impress the other pilots as Walter did when he asked for "Ground Speed Radar Check…"

For more stories of the "Little Drone That Could" stay tuned to this station…
( LoL 🤣 )…

Chief, I must say that I am already enjoying the stories of the "Little Drone that Could". I, of course, am not Brian Shul. I've only been as fast as Mach 0.862 and up to 46,300 feet. I must say that the world looks very different from up there and I can only imagine what it would look like in person at 80,000 feet.

I had a high school classmate whose father retired from the Air Force. His last assignment was at Langley driving F-15s. He still remembers the coordinates for the ramp positions that he had to enter into the navigation system.

P.S. I'm coming up on 20 years with the SC Air Guard and AF Reserve late this month. I have a few more years to go until I can retire as a "fully vested" MSGT (at least 3 years time in grade).

Reactions: MA2 317
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice… Consider it your Ground Check!

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…
Thank you for the links and tips! One thing I have learned from aviation and the military is that "slow is smooth; smooth is fast" really does apply when you don't want to mess things up and/or you don't want to be a victim of your own mistakes because you rushed and missed something.

Thank you for the links and tips!
Hey best of luck to you with the upcoming retirement, you still have plenty of time to get all your ducks in a row… As I wrote, I did 30 and the wife and I were both originally from Upstate NY. After retirement, we went back but it was not "home" anymore… We RV's around the US for about a year before deciding on settling back here in Virginia, where we spent 13 of the 30 years here at Langley over three tours…

I wrote earlier that I live in the Zero Altitude grid of Langley AFB Class D Airspace and this weekend there is a NFZ for 5-NM around Langley because it is the Air Show weekend with the Thunderbirds…

Because I am 107'd and I have an FAA Authorization to fly in this Zero quadrant, I reviewed the NFZ and it says there is a flying restriction under the 15,000 ceiling without ATC automation… I know they are referring to participants in the Air Show, but I gave them a call anyway (they do know the "old Chief" and told them I would stay at "tree top" level…) and they were not too happy to hear me even suggest this and I did not get an authorization from ATC. I thought some photos and videos from tree top level might be interesting…

We were on base Friday (two days ago) while the Thunderbirds practiced their maneuvers and get their timing down and the crowds were very limited as only authorized personnel (active duty, civil service, and retirees, etc…) were allowed on base. The newscasts today on TV showing the air show looks like a Mad House, I'm glad we went early…

You will not get the Thunderbirds at Charleston this year, but the Blue Angles will be at Seymour Johnson AFB, NC, May 20-21…

Here is the link I posted with all the airshows this year for the T-Birds and Blue Angles…

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman