DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to the forum from Colorado

Reactions
Hey everyone,

Been viewing the forum for about two months now and finally decided to sign up. I started flying with my original Phantom but have upgraded to a Mavic. Now that I can fly higher farther and faster I'm still trying to figure out all the rules that are sometimes overwhelming. My front door sits at nearly 10,000 foot elevation so most all of my flights are going to be high altitude(still below 400ft). I'm surrounded by national forest land and ski resorts. My biggest concern is the steady traffic of flight for life choppers that fly semi consistently near me.
Most often I'm looking at posts about flight restrictions(especially in the mountains), high elevation flights, and the oh so popular firmware update posts.

I look forward to learning from everybody and hope you all are having fun successful flights today!

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)

Yea you can still ski! Last day is June 11th at A-Basin.

Sun tan and skiing at the same time. Perfect vacation!

Have you flown your Mavic at sea level? Is there a dramatic effect on lift and performance at 10,000 feet up vs sea level? I got checked out in a Cessna 172 at Jeffco (now Rocky Mtn) airport a long time ago, and had to lean the mixture so much on takeoff, I didnt know if it would get off the ground with full load. And youre 5,000 feet higher than that.

Reactions: Mountain Flyer
Sun tan and skiing at the same time. Perfect vacation!

Have you flown your Mavic at sea level? Is there a dramatic effect on lift and performance at 10,000 feet up vs sea level? I got checked out in a Cessna 172 at Jeffco (now Rocky Mtn) airport a long time ago, and had to lean the mixture so much on takeoff, I didnt know if it would get off the ground with full load. And youre 5,000 feet higher than that.

Unfortunately I have yet to fly at sea level with it yet. Most cheap Walmart remote control helicopters just do controlled falls out of the air by me. The original phantom only had about 2 min of flight time and if I descended to quick it would not recover and would crash. I'm impressed with the mavic. Still nimble and can climb and descend with no issue or concern of it not recovering when I defend. Also I'm still getting about 21-24 min of flight time. I'm super impressed compared to past experiences with other quads or RC helicopters. I can't compare to sea level though. Thin air up here really changes things though. I can't wait to take a trip to sea level. Today I'm headed down to the front range so about a mile lower elevation. If the rain holds off I'll get to see if that makes a difference in flight. Fingers crossed the weather holds off long enough to get some flight time in!

DJI's specs say max altitude is over 16k feet. I have flown mine in excess of 9,000 feet without issues. I am sure it works harder at this elevation, likely reducing flight time but functionally it works fine. I am over on the western slope.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan