DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newb and unable to calibrate compass or IMU

krnlueck

Reactions
I am unable to calibrate compass or IMU setting.
Could it be because I am in beginner mode?
I can find the settings location, but I am unable to make any adjustments.
New MP owner and just took first flight yesterday.

Try calibrating your compass in a different spot!! If I'm standing next to my car it won't calibrate. Also if your around any metal of concrete it might affect your compass calibration.

I usually take off to about 20ft and the compass will calibrate its self

Reactions: krnlueck
I am unable to calibrate compass or IMU setting.
What happens when you attempt to do either calibration?

Could it be because I am in beginner mode?
No.

I can find the settings location, but I am unable to make any adjustments.
Is DJI GO connected to your Mavic? What happens when you attempt to make any changes?

New MP owner and just took first flight yesterday.
Did everything work as expected yesterday when flying? If so, what changed in between then and now?

Reactions: Sevier456
Try calibrating your compass in a different spot!! If I'm standing next to my car it won't calibrate. Also if your around any metal of concrete it might affect your compass calibration.

I usually take off to about 20ft and the compass will calibrate its self

I was inside my RV just trying to go through the motions so that may be it. I will try again a little later. Thanks.

I was inside my RV just trying to go through the motions so that may be it.
If you're referring to doing a compass calibration, you should not attempt it inside of an RV. Do it outside in a location that's not near any magnetic metal objects.

Reactions: m0j0 and krnlueck
I was inside my RV just trying to go through the motions so that may be it. I will try again a little later. Thanks.

You're right, and I will try again outside later. Basically I was just trying to see if I could do that and the IMU adjustment as I've seen in videos. Neither one respond when I clicked on them.

It's okay to calibrate the IMU inside. That's actually preferable since it's usually easier to find a level location indoors.

IMU inside - try to complete it with the aircraft being cool. It will reduce the startup time.

Compass - away from metal outside. I even think it's a good idea to stay away from in ground sources like large rocks that may have metallic content. Take off watches and other electronics belt buckles .... but after I do it once ... I don't do it again unless prompted or I see irregularities in flight.

IMU inside - try to complete it with the aircraft being cool. It will reduce the startup time.

Compass - away from metal outside. I even think it's a good idea to stay away from in ground sources like large rocks that may have metallic content. Take off watches and other electronics belt buckles .... but after I do it once ... I don't do it again unless prompted or I see irregularities in flight.

We have been flying the drone with no problems, but have so far stayed in the beginner mode. I have been unable to calibrate the compass no matter where I've been, inside or out. I tap the calibrate button and nothing happens. I have tried several times. The same thing happens with the IMU. Nothing. I changed from my phone to a tablet today thinking that may have been the problem. Same thing.

It's okay to calibrate the IMU inside. That's actually preferable since it's usually easier to find a level location indoors.

That hasn't' worked either. Everything is working fine on the drone but when I tap the calibrate or IMU nothing happens.

Go to the assistant 2 app you have to do it on your computer go to dji web site and down load mavic assist

I tried again yesterday right before we flew it. Nothing happened when I clicked the icon to recalibrate. As far as large rocks, I'm in the GA mountains...rocks are everywhere. I think I must be doing something wrong, but I do not know what. Also, I tried to change from beginner mode to Tripod mode and the same thing happened.

Go to the assistant 2 app you have to do it on your computer go to dji web site and down load mavic assist
Thanks. I just started to download the Assistant 2 App but it scared me with all the Chinese (I know the company is Chinese) but when my computer said it wanted to be allowed to go thru the firewall, it made me nervous.

Last edited:
That's pointless since you can't calibrate IMU from Assistant.

What versions of firmware/app are you on? Mobile device type?

That's pointless since you can't calibrate IMU from Assistant.

What versions of firmware/app are you on? Mobile device type?
I tried on my Samsung tablet with Android version 4.4.2 and my Android Maxx2 phone with Android 6.0.1

OP here. I updated my tablet and tried again. When I go to the menu where you find the compass calibrations, IMU, etc nothing I touch will work, except I think the firmware tab. I must be doing something wrong. The Mavic seems to work just fine. I was able to turn off beginner mode. I wanted to use Tripod mode but was unable to do that as well. Maybe I need to read my manual instead of just watching YouTube videos.

You should be able to pull up the sensors, and check their "state". I have never calibrated anything since I got my Mavic, never got a warning to calibrate either.
But in the manual it does state to only do a calibration compass or IMU when prompted to do so.

You should be able to pull up the sensors, and check their "state". I have never calibrated anything since I got my Mavic, never got a warning to calibrate either.
But in the manual it does state to only do a calibration compass or IMU when prompted to do so.

I've also not had to calibrate anything since getting my Mavic six weeks ago. I did get an IMU calibration error the other day but it disappeared before I could do anything and hasn't reappeared since. My Mavic flies perfectly so I will delay doing any calibration until I'm prompted to do so.

As for switching to tripod mode you have to go into the settings, disable beginner mode and enable multiple flight modes. Then you will have an icon that looks like the RC below your RTH icon and when you hit that it will allow you to change the flight mode to tripod, ActiveTrack, etc.

-Joe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason