DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Flight Fright

Reactions
Got my Mavic Pro yesterday. New to drones. On one of my maiden voyages, I hit the RTH button and even though the drone was within 10 feet from where I took off, it started ascending. Right at that point, the cell phone died from the cold, so I couldn't cancel the RTH. I had to keep the drone "down" stick held so it wouldn't go up and away. I had to keep the stick held until the battery went low enough to force a landing on that same spot. I'm certain this was my error as a newbie but it does raise a few questions...(1) Does the drone not set a new home position with each takeoff? If so, where was it going? (2) What do you do if the cell phone quits during flight? (3) What did I possibly do wrong? Having lots of fun on very low, short flights so far, just the same. Thanks!! RB
Edit: Flying in Beginner Mode.

...hmmmmm, guessing it was probably doing what it was supposed to do:

...the way I understand it, on signal loss from the remote controller or pressing the RTH button, the "return to home" function kicks in after three seconds and depending on how you have set up the parameters, will either (1) hover in place, (2) land immediately or (3) attempt to return to home - if you have it set to return to home, the additional "smart return to home" function will have the craft first ascend to the altitude entered in the parameters (you can set this parameter to any altitude you feel will clear the highest obstacles in the area), then, once the safe altitude has been reached (to avoid colliding with trees, buildings, power lines, etc. on the trip home) then and only then will it attempt to fly laterally to the set home point (...always ensure your home point is properly set immediately after launching - if you have audio prompts enabled, the app tells you "home point has been set" as soon as it is safely locked in the bird's memory) - also look up "canceling return to home function" as this is an invaluable skill to know if you are at critical battery levels and CAN'T afford to have the bird take three minutes to rise up to 400' and then come back down (...though there is so much failsafe tech in this thing, it PROBABLY would know when it has to start landing and would probably skip the ascent/descent portion of returning home to avoid sudden power loss and subsequent tumbling-from-sky action...these things are definitely getting safer and safer!)

...blue skies and safe flying!
z

ps - oh yeah; best advice for new (and old) pilots: DEVOUR THESE FORUMS!!! ABSOLUTE GOLD MINE/TREASURE TROVE OF INFORMATION, TUTORIALS, TIPS, TRICKS, ETC. FROM WICKED SMART AND HELPFUL UAS ACES!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998