DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie looking for help on where to fly legally

kelazab

Reactions
Hey everyone, just got my first drone and I am super confused on these FAA laws. I know i'm not allowed to fly withing 5 miles of an airport, no higher then 400ft above a structure, over people and in restricted areas. What I just don't seem to comprehend is on the NJ map by b4ufly it seems everything is blocked with either a heliport or airport so where do i fly or who do i notify. If anybody can help me understand these maps ill be extremely grateful i cant seem to find a good video or site that explains what i should be looking out for. Just don't want to break the law and get a stupid fine. Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful world of drone flying. I'll be brief (you can search for the longer answers):

Following is for hobby flights:

You can fly within 5 miles of an airport as long as you _notify_ the tower and airport owner. You need to call the airport and let them know you will be flying. You don't need "permission" but you still need to fly in a safe manner. Personally, I think notifying the tower should be fine and if they don't have one, the owner.

There is no regulation in the US to fly under 400', it's a recommendation (please search on this... I don't think we need another 10 page thread on this subject).

The b4ufly app is just crap... but it does show you all of the "airports" in your area. Legally you'd need to contact them all. However, personally, I don't worry about the small helipads.

When flying... you can almost be assured that you are breaking some law. :)

Thanks. From the research i did yesterday i definitely agree that every time you are flying you are breaking the law. Kinda sucks to see how many people hate drones and want them grounded.

the problem isn't the 5 mile airport thing, the real problem anywhere where there is any amount of civilization is you are going to be in Class B, C, or D airspace, and that is a whooooooole other can of worms, where you will have to beg ATC via the FAA website for permission to fly, after you promise them your first born male child.

If you are a Part 107 pilot with a registered Drone, you MIGHT get permission, but it is not going to be something you are going to get easily.

From my reading, flying in controlled airspace means going to the FAA/ATC if you are within 5 miles of an airport , they specifically say not to call the tower.

How To Request FAA Airspace Authorization | Drone Pilot Ground School

Reactions: mothytim
tbh all these laws kinda make me want to return the drone, so much bs just to fly. i really dont want to be fined $1000 just because the FAA is not clear and the process sucks.

There are plenty of places to fly. When starting out, pick safe, easy spots with lots of space and avoid flying near buildings until you are confident.

Do a search and find nearby areas where other owners fly their drones. Model aircraft clubs usually have a place where they fly, and they will probably have no problem sharing space with you.

Here are some links that will get you started:
The Official Hivemapper Blog
100 Best Places To Fly A Drone In America
http://dronelife.com/2017/03/14/where-can-i-fly-my-drone-these-5-apps-will-help/

the problem isn't the 5 mile airport thing, the real problem anywhere where there is any amount of civilization is you are going to be in Class B, C, or D airspace, and that is a whooooooole other can of worms, where you will have to beg ATC via the FAA website for permission to fly, after you promise them your first born male child.

If you are a Part 107 pilot with a registered Drone, you MIGHT get permission, but it is not going to be something you are going to get easily.

From my reading, flying in controlled airspace means going to the FAA/ATC if you are within 5 miles of an airport , they specifically say not to call the tower.

How To Request FAA Airspace Authorization | Drone Pilot Ground School

Not exactly. The process is completely different for a Part 107 flight vs a Recreational flight. If Part 107, the pilot checks FAA Sectional Chart to see if flight will be in controlled airspace. If it is then an authorization via the above referenced web form is required to get FAA approval. The 5 mile distance rule does not apply to the Part 107 scenario.

If it is a Recreational flight, pilot uses an app like Hover or B4UFLY to determine if flight will be within 5 miles of an airport. If so, notification to the airport and the tower (if there is one) via phone call is required. Airspace classification on the recreational side does not factor in - except the FAA has provided direction for all flights to stay out of Class B space.

why are the maps from app to app completely different. hivemapper shows i can fly nearly everywhere while airmap shows way more hot spots and b4ufly shows nowhere, which one should i believe, this is causing all my confusion.

why are the maps from app to app completely different. hivemapper shows i can fly nearly everywhere while airmap shows way more hot spots and b4ufly shows nowhere, which one should i believe, this is causing all my confusion.

Not sure there is a great answer to this. You are right about the difference in the maps which I agree is annoying. B4UFLY is IMO not a great app, but it is the one that FAA points people to. So if you did notifications based on that map it seems like the FAA would have a hard time objecting to your approach. Airmap I find to be the most complete and I like that they are working on a digital notification system that will be awesome at some point. Until the maps are really consistent I feel like we just have to use common sense and keep safety in mind. For example in my area there is an active regional airport and some smaller airstrips that have very little traffic. It makes the most sense to be proactive with the regional airport and that also happens to be the one I am closest to. The FAA is not out doing audits of your notifications - they get involved when an incident occurs and that is typically after someone does something dumb. If you follow the basics such as VLOS, flying under 400 feet AGL, and not over people or near buildings then you should be able to fly without ever being bothered by the FAA. The problems occur when pilots fly where they should not be flying, and then something goes wrong - drone hits a building, or a person, or is seen by a manned aircraft. So just need to be smart, plan ahead, and stay out of the risky situations.

Reactions: geigy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradl